Mirrorlink - update from Skoda UK 29/5/2015

Hi. Skoda have now agreed to fit this Kenwood system to my car, (Still waiting to find out when).  If one box is fitted into the passenger footwell does it get in the way,be vulnerable and look untidy.

• Like 1

I've been offered this fix yesterday I will have to pay back the £115 (cash equivalent of Sat nav ) but I'm waiting for feedback from Skoda and on here if possible please. I wasted money trying to get mirrorlink to work (I hate htc m one m9)so will wait two weeks as Skoda said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi. Skoda have now agreed to fit this Kenwood system to my car, (Still waiting to find out when).  If one box is fitted into the passenger footwell does it get in the way,be vulnerable and look untidy.

It doesn't look great, and in theory it could get knocked, but it is no bigger than a portable hard drive, so risk is minimal.

I will be looking into having it put into the glovebox if it becomes a problem, so ask your dealer to have a look for you if you're worried.

The only place it will go is far right at the bottom of the glovebox, as the wiring is not very long.

Mine has been temporarily sited with double sided tape, so it can be moved, but so far so good.

• Like 2

I've been offered this fix yesterday I will have to pay back the £115 (cash equivalent of Sat nav ) but I'm waiting for feedback from Skoda and on here if possible please. I wasted money trying to get mirrorlink to work (I hate htc m one m9)so will wait two weeks as Skoda said.

Glad you have this offer too Mick, it seems that a few guys are getting this 'solution'.

Progress in Bedford said mine was the first they had done, but they have another to do at a later date.

• Like 1

How are you getting on with it Kev ? Has anything else been changed? Like Bluetooth etc

Tried the Nav twice, seems very good quality. It is much better having it transmitted over the cars speakers, but it is very loud. I now have my volume set at 40% which is about right for me. It does reduce music level when the Nav wants to talk as well.

This is my first Garmin, and 'she' is a lot more chatty than my TomTom, but not annoyingly so as yet.

Nothing else has changed Mick, Bluetooth seems to be unaffected, although I have not yet tried making or receiving a call whilst using the Nav, I don't see any problems though.

Radio functions like the TP service still work, and you listen to your music as normal, with the Nav displayed.

There are different views you can have of the road ahead, and you can change the info displayed, but again not had much of a chance to play around with these yet.

All in all, very good, doubt I would pay £599 for it, but the 'integrated' quality is definitely there, and it does not seem to be an 'afterthought' after market solution.

It does appear to be about a year out of date incidentally, so I will be e-mailing Garmin regarding that, as you have to pay for updates (not that I can currently find any)

• Like 1

You guys managed to get the Kenwood unit without dealership contribution at all? Entirely charged to Skoda?

If so I might have to give them a ring tomorrow and shout at them!

Too right........have a shout see where it gets you!

Thanks for info Kev My friend said he fitted kenwoods to golfs said the Bluetooth was not as good but this was a while back so not sure what model and the pid (garmin)unit in my Citigo was ok but not as clear as my Fabia .I have two weeks to make up my mind whilst waiting for feedback from Skoda ,but if it can't be hidden from view that's a big problem for me..

No contribution from my dealer if I go ahead.

• Like 1

It doesn't look great, and in theory it could get knocked, but it is no bigger than a portable hard drive, so risk is minimal.

I will be looking into having it put into the glovebox if it becomes a problem, so ask your dealer to have a look for you if you're worried.

The only place it will go is far right at the bottom of the glovebox, as the wiring is not very long.

Mine has been temporarily sited with double sided tape, so it can be moved, but so far so good.

Thanks for your assessment of the installation. Doesn't sound too bad but think I will request fitment of the box into glove compartment,if this can be done without any damage. I will post update when the job has been completed. 

• Like 2

I have been offered a Kenwood also, it is on order and they said should be with the dealer in a couple of weeks.

I too would like the fitting in the glove box, something I think to discuss with the dealer when it arrives.

Edited by Kathv
  • Like 2

Just spoke to Skoda And they reckon 45 mins to fit now and so have agreed to have it fitted . I must say that my conversations with Kate she has certainly been very helpful.[emoji4] so perhaps Skoda will redeem themselves over the mirrorlink scandal and please don't bite my head off that's just my opinion [emoji6]

• Like 1

Well !

I have good news for those who are French like me.

But i think it will be available for the Europe otherwise i don't understand Skoda.

I got a mail from the support team of Volkswagen group to call them. (they wanted me to call their phone numbe to open a case to call me back)

It was done this morning. One hour after a guy call me and explain to me that the smartlink update for the skoda fabia that i own will be available in the end of the year on the updateportal website of Skoda.

My skoda fabia was delivered on november 2014. 

So if the support team guy on the phone was sincere and didn't lie to me i think all the person who have a skoda vehicule with bolero/amundsen heads unit will get Smartlink through the updateportal website !

• Like 1

That would be good if an update may become available.

I must say that I thought Kate was very helpful too. I had been speaking to another person when she was on holiday, once she returned she called. The upshot was she was waiting for an update, we agreed that I would ring back in a month for further news and if Kate heard anything she would ring back. 10 days later she rang with the offer of the Kenwood.

• Like 1

Info from slovakia:

I got my car from service yesterday, I was complaining about the compatibility and overall stability of ML.

They said that it is problem with the phone (HTM One M8) and they did not solve anything.

I am writing official complain (again) with video of the problems.

https://youtu.be/uq3NUVBXoXQ

Please look a the video, so they have more motivation :-)

My car is going into the dealers next week for the kenwood to be fitted ,it will be nice to have a working Sat Nav again.

I fired off an email to Skoda CS last week off the back of a few Briskodians getting offered the Kenwood MIB and after an initial return call to get some details I received a call from Katy today. She asked about my phone and which ones I've tried and if I had purchased the Sygic app, my reply was no as I couldn't get a phone to connect.

She confirmed that my car was built prior to week 22 so has the Mirrorlink issues and will speak with the tech team and call me back tomorrow. What are the next steps I can expect just so I can be aware of possible outcomes.

Edited by Gazbull17
  • Like 1

Since they offered to fit in kevs car i went straight back to kate saying that i accepted the cash alternative as it was only that or a crap nav and nothing else.I was very unhappy to be treated differently to Kev i was offered the Kenwood option there and then.Kate also said that if a solution becomes available she will be in touch.

• Like 2

Since they offered to fit in kevs car i went straight back to kate saying that i accepted the cash alternative as it was only that or a crap nav and nothing else i was very unhappy to be treated differently to Kev i was offered the Kenwood option there and then.Kate also said that if a solution becomes available she will in touch.

In the email I said I would like an integrated solution like I believed Mirrorlink would be and like what I had in my previous Monte Tech, I also mentioned that I knew about the Kenwood option so I'll wait to hear from her tomorrow and take it from there.

• Like 2

Since they offered to fit in kevs car i went straight back to kate saying that i accepted the cash alternative as it was only that or a crap nav and nothing else.I was very unhappy to be treated differently to Kev i was offered the Kenwood option there and then.Kate also said that if a solution becomes available she will be in touch.

I received my Kenwood option this week and all is well.

I would like to thank my Dealer, Steve Winn of Winner Ltd., Cinderford, Gloucesterhire, as well as Kate for the way in which they dealt with my problem.

Do not blame Skoda, it seems that all recent Volkswagon cars had been fitted with an unproven, new, unsupported and proprietary technology ie MirrorLink. As an Electronics Engineer I find it hard to believe that any competent colleague would willingly have designed the Bolero in its pre-week 22 format. I can only surmise that the decision was made posibly by Sales or senior Management, for reasons that I can only guess at.

Edited by eandah
  • Like 1

I received my Kenwood option this week and all is well.

I would like to thank my Dealer, Steve Winn of Winner Ltd., Cinderford, Gloucesterhire, as well as Kate for the way in which they dealt with my problem.

Do not blame Skoda, it seems that all recent Volkswagon cars had been fitted with an unproven, new, unsupported and proprietary technology ie MirrorLink. As an Electronics Engineer I find it hard to believe that any competent colleague would willingly have designed the Bolero in its pre-week 22 format. I can only surmise that the decision was made posibly by Sales or senior Management, for reasons that I can only guess at.

Forgive this post, but trying to get a handle of what the issue was / is with pre-week 22 Bolero units?

My car is to be built in week 48, so hopefully the radio will be problem free. Really looking forward to using Android Auto - really hoping it works well

Mirrorlink only works with about 4 phones and does not support android auto or Apple car play on pre b/w22 cars so we paid for a system that was never going to work properly and we were told it would be sorted with an update.

You can blame Skoda for the shocking way it was handled they treated buyers like mushrooms.

It has taken many hours and emails by a lot of people on this forum to get this solution.

That said they are now trying to make amends .Well done Kate.

• Like 1

I fired off an email to Skoda CS last week off the back of a few Briskodians getting offered the Kenwood MIB and after an initial return call to get some details I received a call from Katy today. She asked about my phone and which ones I've tried and if I had purchased the Sygic app, my reply was no as I couldn't get a phone to connect.

She confirmed that my car was built prior to week 22 so has the Mirrorlink issues and will speak with the tech team and call me back tomorrow. What are the next steps I can expect just so I can be aware of possible outcomes.

Does anyone know if this "solution" of the Kenwood MIB is available to pre wk22 Yeti's? If so, what email address are people using to get in touch with Skoda CS / Katy?

Cheers

Matthew

Just waiting for my new Fabia SEL (end of October apparently?). Can anybody tell me if my iPhone 6 will work as a SatNav (with mirror link) in the car when I get it or am I going to have to buy a SatNav to stick on the window? I really am confused after all the problems I have read about. Many thanks and what a useful website...