Discount off list price on new car order?

Hi

Dropped into local dealer to pick up a new clutch pedal for the trusty Mk 1 octavia with spaceship miles after it fell off the other day resulting in an entertaining 150 mile drive home, luckily mostly motorway in the middle of the night and with not much traffic about.  They had a couple of  "interesting" well specced  3 month old demonstrators for sale which resulted in a serious chat over what could be a very expensive cup of Skoda tea.

How much discount would you expect to get on a new order VRS or Scout with no px involved, and how should the options fitted to a 3000 mile ex demonstrator affect the cost? They have priced them up starting from the list prices for everything and then deducted about 20% to arrive at the asking price.

My starting price is always what I can buy the car for new from an online broker, if it's used I want it cheaper than that!

Drivethedeal.co.uk

Carfile.net

Carwow.co.uk

I used these sites to haggle with the dealer for some serious discounts on both the vRS's I had - if they can't match then buy through one of the sites.

Example vRS diesel manual list price £24,366 - discount price £21,390

Edited by xpower
  • Like 1

And don't be afraid to shop around.

I gave my local Skoda dealer an idea on what i wanted to pay, which worked with the above, they said they couldn't do it, they didn't even want to talk about it, so i walked out.

I then went to another dealer, explained what had happened before, they said they could get fairly close, and in the end i got pretty much the deal i wanted.

I picked up a 64 plate TDi VRS in Feb 2015 for £19995 with 2,800 miles on the clock, car was minted, I even got top book for the 2007 Fabia VRS SE, so paid £14000 for the ex demo car.

If you are paying cash, then the ex-demos are worth considering. Otherwise the higher APR on the used finance wipes out any saving you are making against buying new....

Also, bearing mind that the 2.9% PCP offer on the new vRS is part-funded by the dealer so broker pricing will not reflect that (they will do you a price based on the 2.9%, you just need to ring Carwow etc). 

Once you have those, do the math, :)

0% PCP on a new Octavia Elegance - deposit paid today, order being placed tomorrow (to take advantage of the new deal available) and 1k off the price. Plus good trade in on 62 plate Yeti

Depends how you are buying it.....15ish percent as a cash buyer but that'll be halved at least id you go finance as the dealers lose margin for each financed sale they make (or so they say).

They are a horror story for residual values by the way so if I had my time again Id probably PCH and bear none of the depreciation worries.

....or buy nearly new....used market is flooded with most common engine/spec variants so is a competitive market for a decent used buy.

For example I'd wager you coudld quite easily attain a low mileage year old vRS from a main dealer for £16-17k, 15-16k for a 2.0 Elegance...maybe less depending on how hard you drive a bargain and they are desperate to sell.....if you go for a car thats been in stock for some while you might get a good deal.

Thanks everyone.  Looking specifically at a scout so not too many direct comparisons about as s/h buys. Specced up the same vehicle on drivethedeal and their discount price was £3k more expensive than the ex demo car. And I will get another  quote today for a similar new one from another dealer on the 0%  offer scheme .

Should add NIL to the cost - they don't value options on trade-ins - only fair.

BA Baracus makes a good point!!

Just a point to make on both carwow and drive the deal, both have let me down when it came to order a car. Suddenly once my details have been taken the car is no longer available but in carwow's case they dealers tried to sell me a stock car or different car.

At least drive the deal apologise for it as their dealers stopped all the offer.

Might be worth taking a visit to the dealers this weekend as they have a "sale" weekend, see Skoda's website

Thanks everyone.  Looking specifically at a scout so not too many direct comparisons about as s/h buys. Specced up the same vehicle on drivethedeal and their discount price was £3k more expensive than the ex demo car. And I will get another  quote today for a similar new one from another dealer on the 0%  offer scheme .

BA Baracus makes a good point!!

I struggled to find a nearly new Scout - they are like rocking horse **** and I had a few must-have options that limited it further. Good luck finding one with all the bells and toys that they aren't using as an excuse to inflate the value. 

Also, for 6 months and 3000miles of no running-in and being ragged by a salesman, I think I'd rather pay a small premium and have it from birth.

I'm getting a vrs diesel estate next Wednesday with the following options:

Columbus sat nav

Black design pack

Heated front seats

Folding mirrors

Mats

All for £21800 through an online broker