Shell v-power nitro+ diesel in vrs

Tried it in my lawnmower this weekend - couldn't tell the difference, it still took the same amount of time to cut the lawn.

Ok, I'll send the bucket back.

Tried it in my lawnmower this weekend - couldn't tell the difference, it still took the same amount of time to cut the lawn.

My mower seems to run smoother on the nitro+, still no more than 4mph on the power drive though so no speed increase. I also read recently that is better to run small engines on the premium stuff.

Edited by Web Ferret

Web Ferret - andyvee and I were discussing the snake oil he's selling. He'll post you a bucketful as a sample. But it only costs ten pence a bucket, so really good value.

And how small is the engine in your lawnmower?

cant get the lawnmower started - any suggestions .....

i cant find the port to get vcds plugged in - its a 1965 suffolk punch

A bigger carrot, or a sugar lump maybe? As for the vcds, try round the back, under the tail.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I will be using Shell V Power Nitro + in my new one i think. Always found my TSi ran better on it and returned a lot more miles per tank so will stick with it.........

I think the nitro shell is fantastic stuff, I use to have an old dci Renault that smoked using normal stuff so I used the shell stuff and no smoke, it ran better too, and better mpg, however I can't say if there were any performance improvments as there are too many variables to consider. But I use it all the time now I like to think if it burns better there will be less soot for the dpf to burn off, preventative maintenance.

I believe a slightly higher cetane content in the shell fuel makes it better all round when compared to supermarket fuel.

I know of a few independent companies who've tested them against each other and found shell in both standard and premium form to produce less smoke, give quieter engine running and smoother power delivery.

Guest DobriKnotzGutenMorgan

Shell and BP add.....additives that protect your car no end.

Yes all fuel going into your car is the same from the Refinuery but the big companys pay big bucks the extra...and that is what will protect your car for a long time as long as you also drive it reasonably with a regular service.

Shell and BP add.....additives that protect your car no end.

Yes all fuel going into your car is the same from the Refinuery but the big companys pay big bucks the extra...and that is what will protect your car for a long time as long as you also drive it reasonably with a regular service.

And that's why its costs a bob or two more but you know its looking after the engine better.

You know how much money flows through the fuel industry?

You know how easy it would be for them to convincingly demonstrate their premium fuels were better, with high quality* independent evidence?

They haven't.

What does that say about the difference between Vacuous Premium Branding and generic? 

Why do you think they don't talk about power or efficiency gains? because they are easily tested and easily disproved.

So, double the detergent MUST be better? really? If you make a claim, the onus is on YOU to prove it.

*High quality does not mean a magazine review, or a series of anecdotes.

You know how easy it would be for them to convincingly demonstrate their premium fuels were better, with high quality* independent evidence?

They haven't.

What does that say about the difference between Vacuous Premium Branding and generic? 

Why do you think they don't talk about power or efficiency gains? because they are easily tested and easily disproved.

So, double the detergent MUST be better? really? If you make a claim, the onus is on YOU to prove it.

Yes but if one fuel makes smoke and another does not what conclusion would you draw?, like wise if one makes your engine sound smother what would you draw from that?.

They haven't.

Absolutely!! I fill my car up at whatever is nearest at the time I need to fill up. There is no evidence to suggest one is better than the other in public domain, and my car performs exactly the same whether I have filled up at Shell, Esso, Tesco or Asda.

Yes but if one fuel makes smoke and another does not what conclusion would you draw?, like wise if one makes your engine sound smother what would you draw from that?.

Now please don't take any of this personally.

What we have here is a single anecdote.

The accuracy of this report is vulnerable to at the very least the following known problems:

Observer bias,

Publication bias

Confirmation Bias.

Placebo Effect,

Data mining - you are only looking at one result - smoke - did you decide this is what you were testing before you started?

Poor control (test conditions not identical)

Even is this *IS* a true finding all we can say is that 

"In those Renaults of that age, in those conditions, it reduced smoking"

NOT

"Expensive fuel is better"

To prove expensive fuel to be better in a range of cars, in a range of conditions against a range of outcomes is a lot more complicated 

*BUT IT IS WELL WITHIN THE POWER OF A TRILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY*

They haven't - it's emperor's new clothes marketing guff. 

See also:

Expensive trainers making you run faster with less injuries

Expensive HDMI cables making your TV look better

Expensive painkillers making your headache abate faster

The accuracy of this report is vulnerable to at the very least the following known problems:

Observer bias,

Publication bias

Confirmation Bias.

Placebo Effect,

Data mining - you are only looking at one result - smoke - did you decide this is what you were testing before you started?

NOT

To prove expensive fuel to be better in a range of cars, in a range of conditions against a range of outcomes is a lot more complicated 

See also:

Observer bias,

Publication bias

Confirmation Bias.

Placebo Effect,

NOT

See also:

There is equally no basis or evidence for your opinions as there are mine, would you not expect some correlation between observed differences being true for one car and another. there both diesel. There are so many factors involved, a fleet car that engine is used frequently is probably not going to need fancier fuels primarily as its hotter for longer.

equally do you have any independent validated test data saying categorically these fuels don't do anything, and i am not talking about some crumby car program like 5th gear or top gear, i am talking about enough test data to give statistical confidence.

My thoughts are if you don't use a diesel frequently, a fuel with a higher detergent package is probably the thing to buy, also there is other peoples opinions to factor in, I got talking to a taxi driver who says he uses shell as it gives him a better mpg, not scientific but 1st hand experiences this is the only thing you can go of in the absence of independent validated data.