What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

I took an Iron 883 out today.Just a shockingly bad bike all round.

Fat, slow, it sounded dreadful and not Harley like at all. 

I spent half the ride bouncing off the limiter at a heady 5500rpm 

and the other half gouging the tarmac with the footpegs. 

Brakes were just about adequate,  883cc = 50bhp. That's just rubbish!

So very very poop in almost every way except I liked the keyless start

and self cancelling indicators.

Only rode it to enter a competition and just to see what all the fuss

is about. Competition entered, but I still don't see the appeal.

Overpriced fashion bike IMO. My ER6 is by no means a 'good'

bike but it beats the 883 hands down in just about every practical way.

The Harley beats it on looks only and even that is open to taste.

Mine is way faster, corners way better, sounds nicer, revs twice as high,

twin brakes to the front, 70kg :o lighter, +30mph on the top speed

and all that with over 200cc less displacement.

How a twin could be made when the people making it aren't American.

I'm not old or fat enough for a Harley yet, I hope I never am. 

I couldn't wait for the test ride to be over. 

Oh, which ones?

So which did you decide on Ade?

I went out on mine to see the Vulcan.  Took some pictures but it was too far away and they are crap!  Maybe closer on Sunday at Coningsby.

I had a go on the Triumph 800 XRx, Triumph Explorer XC (though I'd get the roadie one if I go down that route) and BMW R1200RS. I didn't get one as I want to try the latest GS too but neither dealer had 1 available today. I want to ride them (TEX and GS) on the same roads before seeing which 1 SWMBO finds comfy plus I want to see the new TEX at the bike show before finally deciding. The XRx  isn't for me. Comfy, capable, nimble and all the bike you need, but not the bike I want if you get my drift especially if you've had big bikes in the past and try the TEX too at the same time and am considering riding 2 up. Horses for courses and all that.....currently the TEX is £2k more than the XRx but Triumph are offering £1200 worth of accessories/clothing with the TEX before the end of December. The RS isn't for me either as the riding position is too sporty for me but the new boxer engine had so much torque it was a hoot to ride. It sounded like a bike too shock horror not like a flatulent sewing machine. The GS is about the same weight as the RS too so I'm looking forward to trying it out. BUT..... it's bloody expensive at over £14.5k for the TE version...with no luggage :sweat: The base GS is cheaper but no one buys that as most have a PCP so the TE doesn't 'cost' much more so residuals on the base model are rubbish. decisions decisions.......

Brakes were just about adequate,  883cc = 50bhp. That's just rubbish!

twin brakes to the front, 70kg :o lighter, +30mph on the top speed

Things don't change then. I took an 883 out 10 years ago and it was **** then... I also took a Dynoglide 'sport' out too. After about 15 minutes I was back at the dealers. what did you think he asked. Well it doesn't go, it doesn't stop and it doesn't handle but it looks nice parked in the sunlight I said. I then left never to return.

Tell me about it. Mornings are really dark now - the auto lights on the dash are permanently on now and on the way home the sun is just about setting.

Chris try and get some pictures of the old girl flying ? Love to see it.

Not my picture but borrowed from the mate I was with because his pictures were better than mine.  It shows the Vulcan with Lincoln Cathedral on the background and the memorial (spire) to the left of picture.

post-127221-0-02964900-1443860285_thumb.jpg

Brakes were just about adequate, 883cc = 50bhp. That's just rubbish!

twin brakes to the front, 70kg :o lighter, +30mph on the top speed

Sounds about right!

The 883 is known to be underpowered even by the harley people (what chapter are you? Urgh) apparently the 1200 is better. But still a really tiny tank.

Dad went around Spain with somebody on a 1200 one and it just kept running out of fuel. Had to keep syphoning it out of the big GSA tanks.

Non of the Harley stuff is for me. Only time id ride one i think is if i was going to do the Route 66. The rest of the time, they just dont make any sense to me tbh.

Of course people love em.. N ive been on the back of an 09 1600cc one. It was abit like a diesel.. A big load of torque that caught a cbr600 off guard out of a bend, but then it revs out n youre changing again. Redlined at 5k i think.

Didnt go round corners and didnt stop. And the relays kept going. Harleys fix? 'Heres a spare one for your pocket'. Oh n the petrol stations in France give off some sort of radio frequency that plays games with it.. So it wont start. So youll have to start pushing a fully loaded roughly 15 ton Tractor down the road.

But yeah. Nice bikes to look at ;):D

Things don't change then. I took an 883 out 10 years ago and it was **** then... I also took a Dynoglide 'sport' out too. After about 15 minutes I was back at the dealers. what did you think he asked. Well it doesn't go, it doesn't stop and it doesn't handle but it looks nice parked in the sunlight I said. I then left never to return.

But but but.. Its a 'sport'? ;):D

But but but.. Its a 'sport'? ;):D

But not as we know it Jim....(ALA Star trek).

The 'sport' had twin rather than single disc brakes on the front that were still crap and supposedly better suspension so god knows what the standard dyno was like. Bloke I knew at work had a HD and kept it in a sealed plastic tent thing in the garage complete with dehumidifier/air con to stop it rusting. It's a lifestyle thing ..... apparently.

But not as we know it Jim....(ALA Star trek).

The 'sport' had twin rather than single disc brakes on the front that were still crap and supposedly better suspension so god knows what the standard dyno was like. Bloke I knew at work had a HD and kept it in a sealed plastic tent thing in the garage complete with dehumidifier/air con to stop it rusting. It's a lifestyle thing ..... apparently.

Bet it still rusts even with that haha. Dads did. Fixings n what not were all rusty after not very long. Never ridden in winter either.. Just used for touring and it obv got wet doing that.

Yeah, a lifestyle it is haha

Sorta like a Fabia Sport. It looks abit sportier. Low profile tyres n what not.. But its still far from actually driving in a sporty way lol

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Well they are built for the American market with all them roads that are straight for miles so I wouldn't expect them to go around corners! :notme:

Not my sort of thing at all but if that is what does it for you then fair does!  Too much snobbery about in biking so each to their won as far as I am concerned.

Well they are built for the American market with all them roads that are straight for miles so I wouldn't expect them to go around corners! :notme:

Not my sort of thing at all but if that is what does it for you then fair does! Too much snobbery about in biking so each to their won as far as I am concerned.

Thats true!

harley world is the biggest place for snobbery though. So i dont mind giving em abit of stick lol

Oh no, what's happened ? Step away from the forum for half a day to drive to Cornwall and its turned into "what did you do to your Harley today ?" Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh.

I can deffo see the appeal in the states, driven lots of the epic routes over there and a Harley would be proper awesome.

• Like 1

Just had a slightly childish moment.

Missed a gear going out of town (its done that occassionally since the bike shop filled the oil up to the full mark) and a guy behind me on a CBR600 looked to have a smirk in his helmet (we were only going slow).

So the child in me thought, hes clearly thinkin ive no idea how to ride a bike now lol.

So i felt the need to completely burn him off on the lovely set of bends going out of town.

I felt abit better after that.. Lol.

Ahaha.

I know.

Its since the oil has been right upto the full mark. Seems to be making the gearbox abit sticky somehow.

Thats my excuse anyway.

But his CBR RR is a faster bike, n he was left miles behind. So i feel ive redeemed myself there haha.

I wouldbt of given a damn, if it wasnt thd town i live in. N its quite small..

I thought at first it was the nice looking local lass whos got a CBR RR, but it was a mixed raced bloke, so that was a relief.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Took it for a lovely 100 mile ride round some of my favourite roads around Herts, Beds, Bucks.

Was all good except....

Was followed through some twisty bits by a guy on a Road King.

I was 'enjoying myself' ;) he was sat right behind so I decided to let him by.

Jesus H! He was just gone, in a shower of sparks from the pipes on every bend. :D

Put a grin on my face but I bet his was bigger.

Yeah a good rider on a dog will always do well.  Same as you will often see someone on a Blade or R1 in their romper suit wobbling around corners like threepenny bits.  Enjoy it as your own pace is always my way.

Today I said happy birthday to it, as it's 13 years old (first registered that is) today! Now it hasn't been out of the shed in over a month and I am working this afternoon and there is a chance I will be finished early before it's pitch black. Was toying with the idea of taking it out as it's the last good day before the rain is meant to return. Then I remember the supermarkets don't open until I am in work and I really need to buy food on way home as I am totally out so 3rd day since putting the new vRS on the road it will be taken to work :( To be fair I am dying from the plague at the moment too prob best not coughing my guts up inside the Shark....  :dull: 

I have changed! :(

Ordered a new battery after going to start it at yesterday's RTTW to get click, click, click. Luckily a recovery guy at the event was able to jump start it. I then had the long ride home were I dare not stall or stop for fuel and managed to eek it home mile after mile with the fuel light on long after it should have died on me.