What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

That's a quality tale that I can properly relate to. I had no fear during my super dream days, properly pushing it every time I rode it. Used to take mates out on the back to the pub. A good few years before your cg days though mate lol

Haa. Brill. Defo very top heavy with a pillion on arent they. Feel like ya gonna squash the thing haha.

Yeah quite alot of stuff was before my CG time haha.

Dont get me wrong, i wouldnt want something that under powered again, but in a way it was brill. Could find the limits of the suspension.

Theres no chance i can push the VFR like that. Id be dead in no time haha.

• Like 1

Winner!

Its all about the finishing touches, isnt it?

Seems more about the credit card bill at this stage! Today she had a coat of ACF50. All dressed up and nowhere to go...... in this weather though she'll stay in the garage. At least I've had chance to read the war and peace owners manual and work out how to do a few things and change some of the options on the dash so I can get a decent speed readout rather than squint at the crap analogue speedo.

• Like 1

Seems more about the credit card bill at this stage! Today she had a coat of ACF50. All dressed up and nowhere to go...... in this weather though she'll stay in the garage. At least I've had chance to read the war and peace owners manual and work out how to do a few things and change some of the options on the dash so I can get a decent speed readout rather than squint at the crap analogue speedo.

tell me about it. money is too hard earnt and too easily spent. I've just spent £750 on a headunit for the Fabia.. now i really need to sell the Columbus for £500 haha. 

ahh it the dash really that complicated? haha. Cant beat a big MPH readout. the VFR one is digital n its great, but you sort of get the sense of accuracy. If a needle points about the 30mph area you think.. ahh thatll do. If the digital one says 33mph, you're very aware thats exactly 3mph indicated over what you should be doing haha. 

It's typical BM.....There's a rectangular LCD that has an upper and lower section and you can display 2 things at the same time and from the various options you have inc a few trips, temperature, range to empty, date, time, average speed, consumption and other stuff you'll probably not have much use for unless you're bored on the motorway. you can program which ones you want on the top and which on the bottom and then you can scroll through the 2 independently to make your choice based on how you feel and where you are etc. e.g. if you're getting low on fuel you can bring the range to empty up or if you're on a promise the time to see if you're going to be late! I've got speed on the top as the 'proper' speedo isn't speed camera friendly-the explorer had a big digital one which is what the GS needs. I got the Nav5 free and that has 16 parameters and from what I can tell so far you can see all 16, 4, 2 or just 1 with increasing font size if you don't use it as a satnav but it also has the speed on there too if you do. The Nav5 manual is rubbish so much playing is needed....bit of a joke for something that should cost 600 smackers.

Well today it is off out for a ride.  We are off to join some other RATS to have a practice run for the charity run planned next year in aid of the Lincs and Notts Air Ambulance.

http://www.ambucopter.org.uk/event/lincs-notts-air-ambulance-charity-ride-out/

I believe they have limited it to 250 riders but have nearly 500 registered already/  Some will just be donating and not riding and some will (like me) be undertaking Marshalling duties on the day.  A good cause as the motorcyclist can sadly require the services of an Air Ambulance from time to time.

Weather is going to be 10 degrees and sunny so hopefully a good run out with a fair few of the RATS.  Pictures later maybe.

• Like 1

Back home now 171 miles and six hours later and that was with baling out early on the way back.  Knackered after riding with the orher 13 riders on fairly dry and clean roads and the only real problem was the low sun in our eyes most of the day.  I will nick some pictures off faecesbook once someone has posted some.  Bike needs a clean but it will have to wait for another day as  I am going to check the back of my eyelids!

• Like 3

Sadly only the one picture.  I never take any now as there are usually 3 o 4 riders taking them and then they all post them on faecesbook.  Today not so.

post-127221-0-34347800-1451466767_thumb.jpg

Mainly Tigers of either the 800 variety or the full fat version.  Couple of Thunderbirds and then A BMW, Ducati and a Harley Davidson ridden by one of the RATS who has traded his Triumph Trophy in for it.  Him and his wife hired one while in the States and liked it so much they bought one when they returned.  Don't even ask me what sort it is because I neither know nor care but would defend his right to ride what he likes.

I still don't like riding in large groups as it is far too easy to lose concentration and just follow the person in front rather than ride your own ride.  As a couple of the RATS are IAM riders we were joined by a couple from their group.  One said individual could ride very well judging by the way he was chucking it into bends but at one part in the ride that was nice and bendy and quick he was within 6' of the back wheel of the rider in front.  I backed off at that point as had it gone wrong I wasn't wanting to be involved in it.  It would seem he had naff all knowledge of the rules for group riding and no idea of what 2 seconds looks like on the road.  To say I was appalled is an understatement and I have made it known.  I was considering joining their group as an Observer but if that is the standard they teach to I think I will keep away.

Good ride by the sound of it Chris ? Always nice to get a winters blast in.

Group riding is very difficult to control and people riding that close just makes for a dangerous situation.

How he passed his IAM with riding like that makes you wonder.

Pretty terrible for an IAM rider.

I dont like riding in groups because of that. People always linger around blind spots and follow too close. Sometimes i feel i cant move. Then you spend more time trying to keep track on where everyone else is than where youre going. The whole lot is hassle :D

But with an IAM rider, youd think he'd of been taught not to do that wouldnt you..

• Like 1

Must go out and check the back tyre as that 170 odd mile trip will have pushed it even closer to the limit.  It did feel a bit 'nervous' at times so two new boots coming up next week.  Probably go for Michelin Pilots although a mate who has a Tiger Exp has Bridgestones and reckons they improved the handling no end.

Must go out and check the back tyre as that 170 odd mile trip will have pushed it even closer to the limit. It did feel a bit 'nervous' at times so two new boots coming up next week. Probably go for Michelin Pilots although a mate who has a Tiger Exp has Bridgestones and reckons they improved the handling no end.

Ive got BT023's on the vfr at the mo, and have have pilot road 3's and 4's in the past.

I prefered the Pilots no end. I wouldnt have these 023's again. They arent a bad tyre, but just not as good as the PR's imo.

But it is down to personal choice isnt it (:

I'm stuck between pirelli angel GT and pr4. Mine will need changing in the new year so might opt for the pr4.

The angels ate very very impressive, great mileage, totally even wear, uber grip in the dry and more than enough wet grip.

The pr4 has better wet grip worse dry grip and the front cups at quite low mileage.

For everyday commuting wet grip is my most important factor.

I'm stuck between pirelli angel GT and pr4. Mine will need changing in the new year so might opt for the pr4.

The angels ate very very impressive, great mileage, totally even wear, uber grip in the dry and more than enough wet grip.

The pr4 has better wet grip worse dry grip and the front cups at quite low mileage.

For everyday commuting wet grip is my most important factor.

Thats the tyre ive been wanting to try but i havent got round to it yet. :D

If thats the difference, they might suit me better, as i dont commute every day aha.

Wet grip is far more important to me than dry.  Even if I don't ride in the wet that much I don't push the bike anywhere near it's limit in the dry so for me that isn't as important.  Tyre life is a big factor as well as being retired I am not made of money!

• Like 1

Wet grip is far more important to me than dry. Even if I don't ride in the wet that much I don't push the bike anywhere near it's limit in the dry so for me that isn't as important. Tyre life is a big factor as well as being retired I am not made of money!

Maybe the PR4 is for you then? It certainly is a good tyre.

I use the VFR for everything, sunday blasts with my mates on their sports bikes, to touring in bouncing rain.

But i never push on in the rain tbh. Im too conscious about grease and oil :D. I did have the 023's squirming around under acceleration on a damp road in 3rd gear yesterday (which my right hands fault i suppose :D) . But theyve never tried to kill me like the Metzelers did.

Ive had a couple of moments where different aspects of the Vfr has tried to kill me actually. Tyres.. Black outs.. N its supposed to be ' a boring sports tourer' :D

Edited by fabiamk2SE

On my last bike I had Maxxis, can't remember the exact name of them. I'd definitely have them again, I was more than impressed. Dry grip was mega and couldn't notice much difference in the wet. I'm always very cautious in the wet, don't like it at all but they gave me much more confidence.

On my last bike I had Maxxis, can't remember the exact name of them. I'd definitely have them again, I was more than impressed. Dry grip was mega and couldn't notice much difference in the wet. I'm always very cautious in the wet, don't like it at all but they gave me much more confidence.

Supermaxx Diamond?

My mate has those on his CBR. He likes em too. Although i think he mentioned quick wear? Hes not bothered though :D

Supermaxx Diamond?

My mate has those on his CBR. He likes em too. Although i think he mentioned quick wear? Hes not bothered though :D

Those are the ones yes, loved them. I had them on for around 4,000 miles before I part ex'd it, still had loads of life left.

Wet grip is far more important to me than dry. Even if I don't ride in the wet that much I don't push the bike anywhere near it's limit in the dry so for me that isn't as important. Tyre life is a big factor as well as being retired I am not made of money!

Pr4 sounds like the weapon of choice. They enable dry like riding in the wet stuff !

Thats the tyre ive been wanting to try but i havent got round to it yet. :D

If thats the difference, they might suit me better, as i dont commute every day aha.

The angels are a very good all round tyre, better than the pr4 as an all rounder. The pr4 is a more focussed wet weather tyre from my findings.

The angels are a very good all round tyre, better than the pr4 as an all rounder. The pr4 is a more focussed wet weather tyre from my findings.

Your findings are good enough for me. Ill try these when the time comes i think mate (: