What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

Have you tried something from the Triumph range, Tiger 800 or the larger Tiger or even the Trophy SE or Sprint GT SE, cracking deals available on the Sprint GT SE if you can find one and you're buying new!

Cheers for the suggestion. Triumph was my starting point when I was looking for a new bike and I rode both the 800 XRx and XCx and the Explorer, as well as the R1200RS BMW neither of which really suited what I was after for different reasons. I sat on the Trophy and it's too heavy for me at 5'7" and under 11 stone to cope with. I did sit on the Sprint GT but can't remember much about it apart from it had a chain and the riding position I was a bit more leaning forward than I wanted at the time. I can't find any weights and measurements on Triumphs website for it either which doesn't help! I'm not a fan of chains which rules many bikes out before I start so maybe the 'right' bike isn't out there for me. I might even have to look to the land of the rising sun :peek:

He is too titchy for the Tiger. :D  Have you tried platform heels Ade?  Oh and no I don't want to be in your gang!

Seriously though Ade I feel for you (genuinely) because it must be a worry for you and dropping it ith the good lady on the back is a worry and I do get that.

You're not wrong Chris I am too titchy for the TEX ..... and yes I have Daytona M star boots and yes I bought Gary Glitter records in the 70's  :peek: but I don't want to touch you there :D

Seriously though thanks for the support. I don't have any real problems solo though recognize it's still not a bike to mess with and I need to concentrate during the slow suff, It's just when she's on the back that some stopping and starting tries to catch me out-especially where there's big cambers or slopes involved. :sweat:

Cheers for the suggestion. Triumph was my starting point when I was looking for a new bike and I rode both the 800 XRx and XCx and the Explorer, as well as the R1200RS BMW neither of which really suited what I was after for different reasons. I sat on the Trophy and it's too heavy for me at 5'7" and under 11 stone to cope with. I did sit on the Sprint GT but can't remember much about it apart from it had a chain and the riding position I was a bit more leaning forward than I wanted at the time. I can't find any weights and measurements on Triumphs website for it either which doesn't help! I'm not a fan of chains which rules many bikes out before I start so maybe the 'right' bike isn't out there for me. I might even have to look to the land of the rising sun :peek:

From Triumph's "Adventure & Touring 2016" brochure the dry weight of the Trophy SE is 295kg and the Sprint GT SE is 239kg (seat height shown as 830mm) and Triumph also list a low seat as an accessory (T2304366) that offers a 20mm height reduction, I understand your comment about the chain drive on the Sprint, however fitting something like a Scottoiler makes it less of a fag and also ensure long life for the chain and sprockets.

Good luck with your hunt :).

• Like 1

Well if a meet does come together and i've got a Tiger Sport at the time Ade.. you're welcome to give it a go. 

It's all about proportion. Joking aside.. i'm not tall at about 5 foot 9.. but my legs arent very long. Some shorter people with longer legs could probably manage better than me on bigger bikes. Taller sitting down than standing up! :D

• Like 1

From Triumph's "Adventure & Touring 2016" brochure the dry weight of the Trophy SE is 295kg and the Sprint GT SE is 239kg (seat height shown as 830mm) and Triumph also list a low seat as an accessory (T2304366) that offers a 20mm height reduction, I understand your comment about the chain drive on the Sprint, however fitting something like a Scottoiler makes it less of a fag and also ensure long life for the chain and sprockets.

Good luck with your hunt :).

Cheers mate. The GS is 238kg fully fueled and seat height is 800mm so if I'm having problems with that 2 up I don't hold out much hope :sweat: I get the scottoiler thing so mighthave to resort to one in the end. Probably it's more me than anything else so if i can't  find a 2 wheel alternative I might try the off road skills course to try and improve my ability

• Like 1

Well if a meet does come together and i've got a Tiger Sport at the time Ade.. you're welcome to give it a go. 

It's all about proportion. Joking aside.. i'm not tall at about 5 foot 9.. but my legs arent very long. Some shorter people with longer legs could probably manage better than me on bigger bikes. Taller sitting down than standing up! :D

Ta. I'm looking at photos of the 1200GS, 1200R and new Tiger sport and the pillion seat and pegs on the GS seem higher up and further back which is what I think the issue is for me. whether they are in real life i don't know but that looks hopeful......

Ta. I'm looking at photos of the 1200GS, 1200R and new Tiger sport and the pillion seat and pegs on the GS seem higher up and further back which is what I think the issue is for me. whether they are in real life i don't know but that looks hopeful......

Might well be mate.

The GS is a high up bike to start with. When ive been on the back of my dads GSA i feel properly high up. Probably the highest ive ever felt on a bike tbh.

You're not wrong Chris I am too titchy for the TEX ..... and yes I have Daytona M star boots and yes I bought Gary Glitter records in the 70's  :peek: but I don't want to touch you there :D

Seriously though thanks for the support. I don't have any real problems solo though recognize it's still not a bike to mess with and I need to concentrate during the slow suff, It's just when she's on the back that some stopping and starting tries to catch me out-especially where there's big cambers or slopes involved. :sweat:

To be fair Ade when Jane has been on the back of me with the panniers and top box fully loaded on the VFR and the Sprint I have been acutely aware of the problem and I am 6' 2".  I haven't tried it yet with the TEX and only ridden with the panniers on (empty) twice.  Of course most of the problems are easily countered by good planning but those turns in the road, places where you go to out your foot down and the camber of the road means it is that 1" further away than you expect or junctions with loose stones on the surface can easily catch any of us out.

We have at last found something to agree on anyway. :clap:  I cannot be doing with chains again.  I have tried a Scottoiler and it never worked properly from the day it was fitted and the one before that spat oil all over the back tyre while I was on a track day at Cadwell. :devil:

Thing is if it is affecting your enjoyment of riding it needs addressing and if you are like me I couldn't even begin to contemplate not taking the wife on the back of the bike.

• Like 1

Good link.  I keep forgetting about that.  I really need some different trousers as I have been boiled today in my leathers and my textile trousers just make me sweat with the lining (winter lining out).  My mate today had some denims on and he was a lot cooler I just am not a big fan of them though.

Fitted the beam deflector to the Harley so one more step towards the off next week :)

I've been looking at an LED Headlamp replacement (dips straight down without lighting left or right), however circa £400 plus £60 for a new headlamp bucket for the H-D offering is a bit too rich for me, JM Speaker have a really neat adaptive offering thats £599 plus the £60 replacement bucket that provides more light the more you lean over but again that's even richer especially when you consider that the only thing that attaches it to the bike is a phillips screw and a trim ring or am I being over cautious?

It seems very expensive, personally I would invest the money in LED auxiliary lights which will give a better spread of light. I'm sure someone makes them covered in chrome :)

I assume it is this one that you're talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDyO_pgxM4

I've never even thought to fit a beam deflector on any bike when in Europe :notme:  as the light spread doesn't seem like a car angled to the left. 

It seems very expensive, personally I would invest the money in LED auxiliary lights which will give a better spread of light. I'm sure someone makes them covered in chrome :)

I assume it is this one that you're talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDyO_pgxM4

I've never even thought to fit a beam deflector on any bike when in Europe :notme:  as the light spread doesn't seem like a car angled to the left. 

The H-D headlamp does appear to give quite a bit of illumination up to the left when on dipped so that's why I normally use black tape or in this case a beam deflector, of course there are no instructions on fitting them to a motorcycle so it's trial and error using the back of the garage door and an able assistant :D

However as with most motorcycles the headlamps in general are pretty crap so anything that gives you more visibility and allows other road users to see you be it LED or high output but legal wattage bulbs e.g. Osram Night Breaker Extremes need to be looked out.  I know that some have resorted to fitting HID lighting however I'm not sure of the legality of that as it seems to be a bite of a mine field also the motorcycle environment is much harsher than a car with its exposure to weather and vibration especially on a naked 1690cc V-Twin. 

This is the JW Speaker unit, the short video shows both their normal and adaptive LED headlights (5.75" however they also do a 7" version to) both of which look to be better than the H-D offering that actually looks like the earlier JW Speaker version in the clip that you shared. 

https://youtu.be/O7jyOk1Ns1o

My mate has the H-D version fitted to his bike so I'll be able to see how much better the LED version is over the normal bulb version and whether its worth the expense involved.

I try to give the police in Europe little or no excuse to pull me over (in the same way as I do at home) so will carry everything that I'm legally required to as well as masking off the dip on the headlamp.

PS I was pleased to see that the Triumph Sprint GT SE is guilty of having a fancy looking but rubbish headlight according to owner reviews that I've read, so once I've sorted the Street Bob out I may have to look at that aspect of the Triumph as well as mounting and wiring in the free Sat Nav  and plumbing in the chain oiler  :rofl:

It gives a good spread of light and the adaptive bit seems to work too although in actual usage in the UK I assume they will be coming on each time you move to overtake a car etc were the bike is at an angle. This might me be seen as flashing someone are they EU approved? LED are good but when they go you can be left stranded with no headlight and fixing them is a matter of replacement rather than changing a lamp. 

It gives a good spread of light and the adaptive bit seems to work too although in actual usage in the UK I assume they will be coming on each time you move to overtake a car etc were the bike is at an angle. This might me be seen as flashing someone are they EU approved? LED are good but when they go you can be left stranded with no headlight and fixing them is a matter of replacement rather than changing a lamp. 

Yes, they are EU approved with the same units being suitable for both the UK and mainland Europe.

Point taken about the failure comments, £600 against £10 for a bulb plus being left stranded is not something you'd really want is it. 

They're Harley dealers everywhere around Europe and using their LED light might be the better option as they could get one in within a few days and replace under warranty so you can carry on and enjoy your trip. The same can't be said with the JP Speakers light which may require you fitting another headlight at your expense just to get home. 

• Like 1

Yes, they are EU approved with the same units being suitable for both the UK and mainland Europe.

Point taken about the failure comments, £600 against £10 for a bulb plus being left stranded is not something you'd really want is it.

I personally wouldnt worry about the failure. LED's should last the vehicle out.. 50,000 hours.

• Like 1

Luggage secured to the bike today, this trip must really be happening lol.

Enjoy your trip. There's something special about going away on the bike isn't there. Not wanting to teach granny to suck the proverbial egg but make sure your luggage is well secured. One chap had a Givi pannier fall off his trumpet for no apparent reason on his way to the Triumph get together I went to a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoy your trip. There's something special about going away on the bike isn't there. Not wanting to teach granny to suck the proverbial egg but make sure your luggage is well secured. One chap had a Givi pannier fall off his trumpet for no apparent reason on his way to the Triumph get together I went to a couple of weeks ago.

I know what you mean, I've checked it and double checked it and will take it for a short ride on Monday and check it again at least then I can get some more bungees or straps if I'm not happy!

Edited by Prykey

I know what you mean, I've checked it and double checked it and will take it for a short ride on Monday and check it again at least then I can get some more bungees or straps if I'm not happy!

I always secure it until im happy then put 1 extra on incase one breaks.

I always find myself reaching back to see if its still there when i stop too.

I get abit paranoid sometimes with it :D :D

• Like 1

Bungies are the work of Satan...They have a mind of their own and will have your eye out in a flash

• Like 1