• 4 Coil failures
    • 5 or more failures
    • NO failures - Aren't I lucky?
    • I've had new style failure as well !!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When my car was delivered in 2002 (Not working) to the dealer I wanted to know what was wrong with it. I was shown one of those things in the picture so oviously a version of it is fitted to the 1.4. It's definitely a problem across the whole engine range.

My brother had one fail on my old car at the weekend, seems to be caused by cold damp weather. I was outside fixing it at 7.15am on Sunday, the coilpack I removed was a G type.

When my car was delivered in 2002 (Not working) to the dealer I wanted to know what was wrong with it. I was shown one of those things in the picture so oviously a version of it is fitted to the 1.4. It's definitely a problem across the whole engine range.
What is your engine code, eg AMD, AXP or BCA?

• 4 weeks later...
Haven't got a clue, How do I find out. I know sod all about cars:). I can find the engine but that's about it.
On the sticker inside the front of the Service Schedule; on a similar sticker under the boot carpet; on the LHS of the engine (viewed from the front of the car); and also on the Registration Certificate (V5C) where it is the 3 letters at the start of the engine number recorded there.

• 1 month later...

This is a very interesting thread. I have found that on my march registered 02 plated vrs I have an intermittent misfire. Having had this niggling problem, I searched the forum and found this thread. I have found I have the 'H' version of coil packs fitted. I spoke to skoda, my local skoda that is, and they will look at it for me, but thay say the there was no recall on my car for this problem. Are they lying,cos in their next breath they state that if it is the coil packs at fault then, I would most likely have to foot the cost. Again, is this true. Where is the evidence that these coils packs are faulty across the range and that they were replaced FOC? My car suffered this misfire last winter, but when summer came it stopped. Again, it's winter and it's back. Who can I write or e-mail to get confirmation?

They also stated that some 'H' packs were faulty and some weren't, it all depended on the month of manufacture of the car and not the pack. Again, is this another story from Skoda to not pay for the fault?

I'm not sure if I can slag off the dealership,but if i do I'm sure this will be edited.

xxxxxxxx skoda, you are really poor.

However, Powick Skoda near Worcester, you're very helpful. Think I'll take my business there in future,it's worth the drive.

Anyone reading this please respond soon, my car is in the garage tomorrow.

From what I gather on the site peoples cars in the UK should have had them changed when in getting service work done. I'm in Ireland, it was a struggle to get them but I got them FOC. Its widely known that the coils were an issue across the VAG range.

Give Skoda UK a ring directly.

The Bulletin in question is here. It has now been withdrawn and dealers are no longer able to replace faulty D, G and H coil packs free of charge. Given that it was issued well over 2 years ago, all affected cars should by now have had their ignition coils (coil packs) checked and changed during visits to dealers for servicing/repairs. I believe that it is still possible to get those versions replaced free of charge but the dealer must first make a claim to Skoda UK who will use their discretion in deciding whether or not the replacement should be free. Has your car been serviced at the appropriate intervals by a Skoda dealer? If so, you should have a reasonable case for arguing that the dealer should have checked and changed the ignition coils in accordance with the Bulletin. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I take it all back. I spoke to local Skoda dealership who apparently had never heard of the coil pack problem. When I got there, they stated they would ask. Got the car back at 4pm today with new coil packs the 'L' version, and guess what- FOC.

Well done skoda no more misfires at tickover or low revs. My thanks to all for this thread.:thumbup:

Oh, and I have had my car serviced from new at regular intervals. It is 4 years old in March 2006, but only has 27,000 on clock. This played a big part in getting them free.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Im picking mine up at the weekend i hope :) and its a 02 place, runs perfect but i want to check what version of coil packs ive got incase anything goes wrong, its full Skoda service history, so hopefully it will be ok.

Not being a mechanic, has anyone got a guide on how to check these out, ive got the pics from on here so i can see the difference once i get them out.

Cheers

Gav

I have voted no failures but my car is an 03 plate with 100k which has been looked after by one Skoda Garage all of its life. As I have only had the car 4 weeks I have not experienced any (major) problems with it yet only little niggles.

just had a failure this morning! two packs were on an J code, the one that failed was on a H code, and the other was the hard to reach one! Paid the RAC man his money, and will be going to skoda later this week to get a refund.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I need to change my vote on the poll as had one go last month, the nice guys at skoda changed them no charge though!
Poll edited. :)

• 2 months later...

Ive voted for no failures. However I do have 2 different types of coil packs so the previous owner might of not been so lucky and i dont hold out much hope of continuing to be so lucky in the future

I voted for no failures...

but then I drive a diesel so I have no spark plugs or coils either ;)

Does the diesel come in a 1.8T ie see title ? ....kinda messes up the poll :rolleyes: .