Rubbish radio reception

I've got an aftermarket head unit in my car as the radio reception is pretty gash. What's it like with a standard head unit? Did I read somewhere that there should be an amplifier/booster for the radio? I have a normal standard aerial.

The problem is most likely to be the aerial booster in the base of the aerial. These corrode and fail, but can easily be replaced.

Lots of posts on this in the past. On some head units the problem is it does not supply power the aerial amplifier but it can be reconfigured by swapping over a wire or pair of wires. Do a search on this forum using Google, not the search box.

Cheers. I'll invest in one of these and give it a go.

This is what you need:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC5-52-SKODA-OCTAVIA-AMPLIFIED-ISO-ISO-AERIAL-EXTENSION-ADAPTOR-MAST-ANTENNA-/160694768125?

Radio reception is great in mine. According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio) some VAG cars have the permanent 12V and ignition 12V swapped around which is what I believe the harness adapters correct. I fitted a harness adapter so I didn't need to faff with the car's wiring and can switch back to the standard HU more easily. You need to connect the blue wire on the booster to the ignition +12V (A7 on the Wikipedia diagram). Double check with the manual for your HU as well.

So after installing the booster i can confirm that the FM signal is just as dog bob as before. Bummer

Must be the aerial then. Zero output signal from the aerial times the gain of the booster will still give zero.

Must be the aerial then. Zero output signal from the aerial times the gain of the booster will still give zero.

Maybe. Can it be tested? Probably going to be listening to the same tunes on my usb forever

I finally found 10 mins this evening to have a root around at the wiring. I'm pleased to say that a PC5-90 for a massive outlay of £2.82 seems to have solved my issue of naff radio reception. I couldn't even get Radio 1 while sat on the driveway previously, but now the two frequencies I know I should be able to pick up work fine. Thanks for all your help.

Hi all, Ok, so what's mine likely to be doing? I haven't investigate how the aftermarket head unit has been wired but FM works fine but no AM signal for R5. I assumed that FM would be the dodgier for signal. As I say I haven't looked at what's what, but is there something I should expect?

I have spoken too soon! I went to the car this morning after posting a couple of days ago about how a <£3 part has enabled me to receive more radio channels. The bloody thing wouldn't even unlock as the battery had gone so flat. So I need a new battery in the morning as it is refusing to hold any charge now. Gutted. Ripped the stereo out for now while I work out what I've done wrong. Stupid thing.

I have spoken too soon! I went to the car this morning after posting a couple of days ago about how a <£3 part has enabled me to receive more radio channels. The bloody thing wouldn't even unlock as the battery had gone so flat. So I need a new battery in the morning as it is refusing to hold any charge now. Gutted. Ripped the stereo out for now while I work out what I've done wrong. Stupid thing.

I'd guess that you've hooked the booster to a permanent live rather than an accessories live?

• Like 1

Dunno. I connected it to the blue remote cable from the head unit. In any case, I think the battery is the original, which means it's done alright for 11 years.

Dunno. I connected it to the blue remote cable from the head unit. In any case, I think the battery is the original, which means it's done alright for 11 years.

My battery died after 9 or 10 years. As in, ok in December, wouldn't hold a charge overnight died.

So that could be the problem too; co-incidences do happen sometimes, as I'm sure Dave Walker will tell you at length!

You're absolutely right, Ken. I've chucked on a new battery (cranks much better) and put the stereo wiring back to what it was before as I need the car over the next few days for family and towing duties. I'll faff around with it another time if I can be arsed!

I'm having the same problem with a 2001 Octavia I just bought. Reception with any radio, stock or aftermarket, is extremely staticy. AM doesn't work either. How can I remove the rust from the bottom of the aerial base so it can be powered again?

Not according to the BBC - plenty on AM. Five Live is only on AM and DAB, not on FM.

as far as i can remember most if not all AM radio broadcasts have been turned off

Edited by artist21