Misfiring cylinder one

It's almost certainly the ECU shutting down the injector due to a detected misfire, the misfire itself will be caused by a coil pack, spark plug or the wiring loom.

And this, along with the insulation "breaking down" when hot and under load, would explain everything.

Have you checked the new parts, it's quite easy to crack a brand new spark plug while fitting it as well, when you say the loom 'seems' fine, have you had the plug off the ECU, shorted the plug at the coil and tested for continuity while wiggling it?

This is why you should always use a proper spark plug socket for them, even if you think you can use a normal long reach, or a ratchet spanner.

Currently £7 or so delivered (for 10) if you weren't in a hurry.  As I edited into the first post of that linked thread, installed in my Golf and working without issue, as far as I can tell.

Constant 750 idle now, been idling for 10 minute so far, some slight bogs and shakes but as expected with this engine anyway lol. Gonna leave it as long as I can before it starts to misfire, had the negative battery terminal off for a hour.

How do I depressurize the fuel line? Will it say in my Haynes book or is there a guide on here somewhere? I've tried using the search function.

Avoid pressurising it as per suggestion in post #115, or if too late for that, there's a tyre-type valve on the nearside end of the fuel rail, isn't there? Poke the middle bit of that.  Haynes would cover it, I imagine.

I believe I've found the problem! :)

IMAG0099_zpsgzoc0h6x.jpg

Edit: Oh, fitted new o-rings too.

How do i go about solving this problem? I presume electrical tape isnt an option somehow?

Edited by Avante

I've got error code 00819, would that be anything to do with removing the flap in my engine cover?

Other DTC's:

Edited by Avante

I believe I've found the problem! :)

IMAG0099_zpsgzoc0h6x.jpg

Edit: Oh, fitted new o-rings too.

How do i go about solving this problem? I presume electrical tape isnt an option somehow?

Interesting...

Can't really make out how much corrosion or damage there is to the wire cores themselves? Wants mending for sure, or if the copper looks OK, at least sealing against the atmosphere. If the copper cores are OK, I wouldn't think that just being exposed like that was causing your problem, unless they're touching something metal (or each other!).  Is it the engine cover that's been wearing on them? What's that hose at the bottom of the picture? That has a funny looking area in the photo, is that damaged too?

I believe it's something to do with coolant? Comes from near the expansion tank and runs parallel to the fuel rail. Its just a bit of insulation tape lol.

I got quoted about £120 for 4 new injectors, which i refuse to pay, is there anything I can flush through them or something, they don't look gunked up but just to make sure. Any other things I could try? I need VCDS lol, suppose they aren't cheap.

If I were you, I'd clean these two areas of damage with meths etc and apply a small blob of sealant like rubber solution or something like that to avoid any further degradation as it looks okay at the moment. My only worry with this cylinder maybe misfiring is that when that damage was done, the wire either at the connector or further back where it disappears into the conduit might have been damaged in a worse way and that damage shown in the picture is just cosmetic, maybe check both these points. I'd think that replacing all the injectors would just be a bit of hit or miss use of your money.

Edited by rum4mo

The marketing department of Terraclean may have. Only heard of it in a negative context on here, try a search.

I thought the only bad news on here was with a TDI engine, it was only a joking suggestion though if I had a simple petrol engine and could not stop considering that the injectors were a bit cloggy and the inlet tract and head very coked up, I might risk Terraclean - so far avoided giving in to temptation and used lots of V-Power+ instead.