Cleaning bugs off paintwork

stever750

Apart from soap and water and elbow grease, are there are any purpose designed cleaning products to remove bug splats from the front paintwork! My Asda carwash isn't very effective, and the DIY solution isn't really practical (car on street, water hose thousands of feet away).

• Like 1

Bug and tar remover, various different makes. Much easier than scrubbing and kinder to the paint. 

I got some 'cheap' Holts tar and general spot remover that works great http://www.engineoils4u.com/holts-tar-general-spot-remover-500ml/ - its not kind on the wax/LSP but i'd prefer to reapply this as necessary than 'scrub' at the paint work with any cloth or sponge first. Sure the detailers here have some better products though.

The only Autoglym Product i use is Bug Insect Remover, (the rest are over priced and over hyped)

but i will use Asdas, Tescos or anyone elses if i need to buy when away someplace.

And then Wash & Wax in a Bucket washes it off after a few minutes.

Then Scrunched up newspaper to clean over the Windscreen.

I used to get fed up with bugs etc on a firms Golf van and bought a specila sponge to get them off. One side was courser than normal. It worked well , but I'd hesitate to use it  on my car.

Windscreens- old tip from my dad was vinegar with newspaper. Really cleans up a windscreen.

I got some mico fibre glove wash mits with the same mesh on one side of them in lidl/aldi a while back. Work pretty good. I also have a bottle of simoniz bug remover works well enough. Then i rub down with ag tar remover makes a big difference... when i can be arsed spending the time...

I wet then, let it soak for a few mins then theyll just wipe off.

Works everytime

And the bike gets hundreds and hundreds on it lol.

Any purpose made bug remover or whatever will take any wax off thats on tge paint (if you use any) id of thought.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

Aldi/Lidl do a decent bug remover spray occasionally. But as said you need to protect the paint after.

Get a spray bottle & dilute some citrus pre wash in it at a ratio of 1:10 (product dependant) spray on the bugs & leave a few mins. This will loosen them up & lift them from the paint. Then ideally jet wash them off. You'll find if you car is well protected with a wax/sealant then they will come off quite easily without resorting to scrubbing them & potentially damaging your paint.