Do MY16 cars have a CD Player

Hey, didn't realise you were on one :)

Only trying to help, there has been too much rumour, speculation and falsities lately portrayed as truths about the whole Smartlink/Smartgate/MIB2 situation over the last few months, the truth is out there now :)

• Like 1

So from my friend that works for Seat, he states that none of the range now have cd players and have not for most of this year. So I guess this might be across the board.

But SEAT isn't Skoda :) there are some differences between brands.

One of the selling points of the Columbus is DVD playback, that would be a big thing to drop.

To most people, CD playback is not a big deal as they are the iPod/mp3 generation.

To others, it is a major concern.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

It's a bit off topic....

Say I bought an iPod and got all my music ripped, what is the difference between connecting to a bog standard amundsen and one with smartgate?

Are there any other connectivity options?

Smart gate will let you read lots of technical data. Smartlink will let you run apps from the car screen

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sorry, meant smartlink.

So it would allow full operation of the iPod but bog standard amundsen I'd have to operate the iPod itself?

I think if you are talking about an ios ipod the only difference would be that you would get a more "ios" like interface to control your music from the screen. Using mib2 without smartlink would still allow you to control music through usb connection.

Smartlink really only comes into its own when you have a phone type connection to stream maps or do ios/android like voice searching.

Edited by Iamholam
  • Like 2

But SEAT isn't Skoda :) there are some differences between brands.

To most people, CD playback is not a big deal as they are the iPod/mp3 generation.

To others, it is a major concern.

Of course, my point was that this is common place at SEAT so it makes logical sense that it's possible to be across the group.

Are you suggesting that I'm old? I have you know I've got one of those Ipatch thing-a-me-bobs

Never use it though :p

• 1 year later...

Personally, I would prefer the extra space within my glovebox.

MY14 owner, never used the CD other than to place an SD card into the slot.

Edit:The quality of CD, MP3, tape and vinyl far exceeds the ability of Skoda's Canton sound system and speakers. MP3 can also provide vastly superior quality to CD, if encoded from the original source material (not from CD).

100% agree the glove box is just too small with the media box built in and only for SD slots i won't use  ..........i'll go ipod via the USB  which could also have been hidden away.........hmmm perhaps in that glove box thingy where the SD slot machine goes

I've literally never even put a CD in mine.  Considering how much of a faff it is to handle CD and reach over to the glove while driving its a good thing they got rid of it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 01/07/2015 at 12:57, eeperman said:

Hi folks,

I've seen a lot of posts here referring to a lack of CD player on the MY16 cars, but the latest brochure still says that all the radios have a CD drive.

Does anyone have the final answer on this?

I've called Skoda, checked the owners manual and both indicate the Columbus has a CD/DVD drive in the glove box. Also checked the configurator and the Columbus as an optional extra on the vRS has DVD player too - assume this inherently means CD too. Surely they can't all be wrong. Has anyone actually seen one on a 2017 octavia in the wild?

1522768368209948766736.jpg

15227687174631535470012.jpg

At the risk of getting the same reply someone gave earlier on this thread, my Seat MY17 does have what appears to be a CD/DVD reader in the glove box, so I would assume something similar is on the Octavia - either stock or as an option.

And I think the size of the unit is not only due to the CD reader - it probably has the video processing unit in, plus the board/CPU and some amplifier.

Even on units that only have SD cards, I am sure the insides of the unit are quite well filled.

Columbus has the following,

Loadsa storage presumably flash memory rather than a hard disk,

Optical drive that plays every fomat I've ever tried in it.

2 X sd slots

1 SIM card slot use this as your phone and your reception will improve dramatically.

On board hotspot.

Obdeleven or vcds will both enable video in motion

Edited by 181ce