Road tax will be back from 2017

I suspect it's a way of getting more from the better off, if you can afford a 40k car you can afford to pay a bit more tax ? 

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

I suppose the £1500 extra tax is a small amount compared to the car's price.

What I can't understand is the £310 extra charge for cars over £40k. Why have a specific charge for this? I wonder if manufacturers will change what the list prices are?

Yep, there will inevitably be some massaging of list prices at BMW and the like to get cars in just under £40k

Why should the amount you pay be based on the amount your car pollutes. Let's remember that car tax is there to pay for the maintenance of roads, cars which cost £30 to tax damage the road surface as much as cars which cost £450. It was obvious this ridiculous scheme would eventually leave the government short of cash. Also people who drive electric cars or hybrids need to grow up, where does electricity come from you morons!! Also how bio degradable are batteries when they can't be used anymore.

• Like 1

Well in the UK there can be no shortage of Electricity from the Wind Turbines onshore and offshore and all the potential generating power 

when it is not needed in homes and industry but could be charging car batteries overnight.

The Public have been paying plenty for long enough now to subsidise the Wind Farms, so they might as well 

get free Charging like many are in Scotland now.

Saw this one coming but not this early lol. Interesting how it'll work though, what about less economic vehicles. At the moment the more poluting the more you pay irrespective of how much the car costs?

Yes.

New cars first MOT after 4 years.

Nct is first at 4 yrs. Then every 2 until 10yrs old. After that its annual.

road tax should be based off emmisions but at a rate based on what your emmission readout at test says you are producing /mile, multiplied by the mileage racked up in the 12 months since last test. For the first 4yrs the individual vehicle ahould be emmission tested before leaving the forecourt as part of the purchasing process and thats your rate for tax. With a box on the form to insert your odo reading when paying your road tax. Once the car beimg tested the odo read outs and test emmissions on mot/nct report get put on form and test centres upload seperately for cross checking to weed out people lying on forms and fine them discrepancies.

that way high emmitters or heavy milers get hit harder.

Don't agree with the higher tax for higher list price. Real emissions yes and recalculate bands but I see no decent justification to road tax someone just because their car is worth more

Don't agree with the higher tax for higher list price. Real emissions yes and recalculate bands but I see no decent justification to road tax someone just because their car is worth more

Do you agree with someone paying a higher rate of income tax just because they earn more?

• Like 1

Well at first i was a bit annoyed that my tax bill would likely rise about £100 per year for any future new cars I may purchase.

However my annoyance was short lived when I realised the fake green cars (hybrids) will no longer get an unfair zero tax rate.

Ive long believed Hybrids should be charged more tax, and if the simplest way of doing that is a flat £140 tax rate for the majority of vehicles, then thats fine by me. Even better for any Hybrids that cost over £40,000.

Watch the market for hybrid vehicles take a nose dive now. The majority of hybrid drivers will realise they burn more fuel than a decent diesel so wont bother purchasing a hybrid.

I would suggest one change though. The cars that really produce less CO2 and CO should see their pump prices reduced. Time to reduce tax on diesel fuel slightly, just so the green credentials are still incentivised to a degree. That way you have a fairer road tax system, and being green is still awarded.

The problem with recalculating bands, is the fake green cars would still likely be paying lesstax than cars that are really greener.

Agree the higher prices vehicles shouldnt be punished though. The £300 plus premium should be put on vehicles emitting over a certain amount of CO2. Say 200 or something like that.

Scrap the whole scheme and put it on fuel. Those who do the most miles or driving inefficient cars pay more. No complicated administration involved, just a simple "you use more you pay more".

Then you get the argument that poorer people generally live further from the employment areas and have to pay more to get to work, which gives them an excuse to give up and stay home collecting social security & smoking bongs.

Plus it adds to the cost of goods being transported and increases prices overall.

• Like 2

I expect to see bmw, merc, audi bringing out £39,999 specials with extra kit.

We have a luxury car tax of 33% of the value of the vehicle above AUD61,884 (about GBP31,000).  If it's classified as a "green vehicle" then the threshold rises to AUD 75,375 (GBP38,000).

When the government first bought it in the threshold was conveniently just above the price of the locally produced luxo-barges.  The various importers quickly sharpened up their pencils & revised the pricing schedules and equipment lists.

There was a lot of bleating about it at first but there wasn't a lot of sympathy from those chugging around in 15 year old crap-boxes for somebody complaining the price of their Mercedes had just gone up by a few months wages.

Then you get the argument that poorer people generally live further from the employment areas and have to pay more to get to work, which gives them an excuse to give up and stay home collecting social security & smoking bongs.

Plus it adds to the cost of goods being transported and increases prices overall.

Can't please everyone. They could always move. Maybe there is a correlation between being poor and living further away from employment... hmm.

Tax breaks for commercial hauliers.

Why should the amount you pay be based on the amount your car pollutes. Let's remember that car tax is there to pay for the maintenance of roads, cars which cost £30 to tax damage the road surface as much as cars which cost £450. It was obvious this ridiculous scheme would eventually leave the government short of cash. Also people who drive electric cars or hybrids need to grow up, where does electricity come from you morons!! Also how bio degradable are batteries when they can't be used anymore.

I don't think you grasp the point of electric vehicles. It's about moving the pollution away from heavily polluted streets

The most heavily polluted streets are backed up with polluting buses being held up by polluting cars and HGV's that do not need to be in cities,

the deliveries can go from Transport Hubs in by EV Delivery Vehicles, 

so if the drivers get out of the cars and into the buses, and they are all Electric or Hydrogen, then it will be sorted,

less polluted streets.

Well except on Tube, Bus and Train Strike days.

Edited by goneoffSKi

Maybe they've clicked that that CO2 bands were making manufacturers make crap cars, probably not.

Still this is better than the old old scheme (pre 2001) the bands for that are £145 and £230.

I pay £180 right now, VRS was £235. Paying £140 seems ok to me.

Maybe they've clicked that that CO2 bands were making manufacturers make crap cars, probably not.

Still this is better than the old old scheme (pre 2001) the bands for that are £145 and £230.

I pay £180 right now, VRS was £235. Paying £140 seems ok to me.

Google the irish pre 2008 engine capacity tax rates which i pay for my car on... 670e per year for the octy...

There must be other financial and lifestyle benefits of living in Ireland that those in the UK do not have,

so it will be swings and roundabouts is it not.

not really.. our fuel is a bit cheaper with diesel cheaper than petrol. But thats about it...

I'm not sure I understand all of the complaints about the varying cost of road tax.

It is such a small percentage of the overall cost of buying, running and selling a car that it almost pales into insignificance.

• Like 3

In a nutshell all cars, electric, or not and buses need roads, the roads are repaired using road tax. Why should some idiot in a Prius pay less to maintain them than someone in a 1.2 petrol car?

• Like 1

In a nutshell all cars, electric, or not and buses need roads, the roads are repaired using road tax. Why should some idiot in a Prius pay less to maintain them than someone in a 1.2 petrol car?

Because we also need to reduce our use of fossil fuels and pollute less, and cheaper tax has been a very effective way of doing this.

Under the current system lots of 1.2 petrols will pay the same as a hybrid - £30 or less.

Also what makes someone an idiot for driving a Prius?

I could be wrong in my understanding with regards to the Road Tax so once 2017 has gone and the first cars have gone through their first years tax banding and have settled into their respective flat rates it would mean for example my Astra 2.0 Diesel would be the same tax band as my wife's 1.2 Polo Petrol if they were both brand new in 2017?

The tax bands only change once a car is worth more then 40k or so?

I Could see this working for used cars at some stage in the later future as people would be able to buy a bigger engined cars and not have to pay the tax?

Please excuse my naivety purely just wanted to discuss something been thinking about.