The 280PS Thread

FSQT.

So does the 280 have bigger brakes or not?

What part of "That's why you can't fit 16" winter wheels to the 280 because of the larger brake discs/callipers." don't you understand?

340mm front discs as opposed to 300mm (which also applies to the 220).

• Like 1

FSQT.

What part of "That's why you can't fit 16" winter wheels to the 280 because of the larger brake discs/callipers." don't you understand?

340mm front discs as opposed to 300mm (which also applies to the 220).

As far I understood it the 16'' rims will fit. No, that pdf in german that listed some engines and wheel specs doesn't count as reliable source of information. The only reasonable concern was that with 16'' rims there's not much space between rim and brakes, thus potential issues with ice buildup. What's your source for the 340mm info, have you actually measured them?

Edited by ionelmc

As far I understood it the 16'' rims will fit. No, that pdf in german that listed some engines and wheel specs doesn't count as reliable source of information. The only reasonable concern was that with 16'' rims there's not much space between rim and brakes, thus potential issues with ice buildup. What's your source for the 340mm info, have you actually measured them?

Then buy some 16’s and when they do not fit don’t say we didn’t tell you they wouldn't.  :wall:

• Like 3

Ionelmc, I ordered a set of winter wheels with my 220ps and the dealer explicitly warned me to get 17" rims for the car as 16" rims won't fit. I was told that there are 16" steel rims that can be fitted, but those are "space saver spares" only. Might be utter bullpoop though. If I were you, I would definitely wait until I could measure my car's rotors - buying a set of rims and tires that quite possibly won't fit is a waste of money.

Edited by Csory

The thing is that the car configurator here had option for 16'' winter steel wheels for all engines. A couple weeks ago they added another option: 17'' winter steel wheels, but the 16'' is still available for all engines. Dealer said 16'' are ok on 280 but well, who can you trust nowdays :-)

The thing is that the car configurator here had option for 16'' winter steel wheels for all engines. A couple weeks ago they added another option: 17'' winter steel wheels, but the 16'' is still available for all engines. Dealer said 16'' are ok on 280 but well, who can you trust nowdays :-)

The people who already have the cars ;-)

• Like 3

So Škoda's own documentation isn't a reliable source of information? You'd rather put faith in a dealer who probably doesn't know his arse from his elbow?

Yes, the front discs are 340 mm and I know that because there's one parked right outside my front door and yes I have measured them. They're also ventilated so even if you were able to shoe-horn 16" wheels then those no-longer-ventilated brakes are going to quickly overheat.

I don't know how they do things in Romania, but if you were to fit 16" wheels to a 280 (or 220) in the UK you would find your insurance voided by fitting wheels not recommended by the manufacturer.

• Like 1

So Škoda's own documentation isn't a reliable source of information? You'd rather put faith in a dealer who probably doesn't know his arse from his elbow?

Yes, the front discs are 340 mm and I know that because there's one parked right outside my front door and yes I have measured them. They're also ventilated so even if you were able to shoe-horn 16" wheels then those no-longer-ventilated brakes are going to quickly overheat.

I don't know how they do things in Romania, but if you were to fit 16" wheels to a 280 (or 220) in the UK you would find your insurance voided by fitting wheels not recommended by the manufacturer.

Thats if you can get them on the hub in the first place!

Started looking for insurance cover for the new 280.

Existing company £700 another £600 and lastly £300.

Guess which one I went for?

• Like 1

I'll never comprehend the vagaries of insurance companies.

I switched from a 170 PS diesel Superb to a 280 PS petrol Superb and my annual insurance came down. Same company.

I increased the 280 PS to 350 PS and my annual insurance came down. Had to switch company though.

Hope you enjoy it Philpix. It's been a long wait.

Where exactly, and in what documentation it say 16'' don't fit, or not recommended? The manual don't have such info.

100% real. Can't be that hard to take a picture for ol' doubting Thomas right here ...

Lol ! Just out of interest what have you ordered ?

Edited by Nick_H