The 280PS Thread

Thanks for the tip. I’ll certainly follow that up. Have a mate down that way. Sounds very tempting power wise. Not to be sniffed at. As a friend said when he heard I bought a 280 L&K “a Q car suits you”

Edited by freeglide

I seen my first ever (other) 280, on the road :smile:

Meteor Grey Sportline estate with Supernova alloys B)  Damn it looked good (not as good as the hatch though....obviously :D

Bit annoyed that when I give it a little squire in 1st or 2nd gear I never have anyone looking and thinking wow that sounds awesome must be a 280 ....  I always take care to look in my mirrors but the b####### always just carry on with their conversations or whatever they are doing and not appreciating my efforts....

So the question is.....

Has anyone heard their car from the outside giving it some stick ?

12 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Bit annoyed that when I give it a little squire in 1st or 2nd gear I never have anyone looking and thinking wow that sounds awesome must be a 280 ....  I always take care to look in my mirrors but the b####### always just carry on with their conversations or whatever they are doing and not appreciating my efforts....

So the question is.....

:D

I was thinking the same the other day.

Then I remembered it's a 2l 4cyl turbo so it's not going to sound that amazing 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

So the question is.....

Nope. Not heard it from the outside. I'd imagine it will sound something like a golf r lite minus the pops. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Nope. Not heard it from the outside. I'd imagine it will sound something like a golf r lite minus the pops. 

Golf r sounds OK. I might leave the window down and supply my own bangs and pops !

33 minutes ago, Steel Grey 42 said:

No, but the sound of the consumption going into single figures is one I don't wish to hear that often

Is that even possible? Single figure mpg. On a track I'd guess maybe, just. On the road never unless it's full speed on the bahn. Anyone been?

5 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

Is that even possible? Single figure mpg. On a track I'd guess maybe, just. On the road never unless it's full speed on the bahn. Anyone been?

Yeah I tried this a while back. Actually created a thread I went out one afternoon to specifically see how low I could get it, no matter what I did couldn't get it blow 22 / 23

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Yeah I tried this a while back. Actually created a thread I went out one afternoon to specifically see how low I could get it, no matter what I did couldn't get it blow 22 / 23

I think low 20's is the very worst I've seen.  I dare say you could thrash it from the outset and keep the MPG way down but personally, I wouldn't like to do that without the engine/oil being up to temp....

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

I think low 20's is the very worst I've seen.  I dare say you could thrash it from the outset and keep the MPG way down but personally, I wouldn't like to do that without the engine/oil being up to temp....

Yeah warmed her up first ( no matter what you say on other threads ). Went out into Derbyshire on a lovely warm day. Windows down. Started off in a layby and took readings from then. Did about 25 miles if I remember and dont think I managed 4th gear once. Proper 1st, 2nd and third gear work. Great fun !

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Yeah warmed her up first ( no matter what you say on other threads ). Went out into Derbyshire on a lovely warm day. Windows down. Started off in a layby and took readings from then. Did about 25 miles if I remember and dont think I managed 4th gear once. Proper 1st, 2nd and third gear work. Great fun !

It's great to do it every now and again.  Why bother paying a premium for a performance orientated engine if you're not going to enjoy it?!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

So the question is.....

I’m more than happy keeping under the radar noise level wise, the only reason for my test drive was to make sure of this. If only the rear view mirror was telescopic to see the surprised look on their faces while they eat your dust. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Martin201 said:

I’m more than happy keeping under the radar noise level wise, the only reason for my test drive was to make sure of this. If only the rear view mirror was telescopic to see the surprised look on their faces while they eat your dust. 

Yes I agree that is satisfying... But ive now had 3 + years of this under the radar satisfaction and coming from a TVR it would be nice to make a little noise now and then :D Maybe now is the time for my F-TYPE R ;-)  that will go down well with the Mrs .... I wonder if it would be possible to engineer Golf-R type sound at the flick of a switch ? Best of both worlds... 

After much prevaricating between a Superb (Heart) or a Mazda 6 Tourer 2.5 GT Sport Nav (head) it seems my heart won and I will be joining the Skoda family. 

Just placed an order for a Skoda Superb Estate 272 DSG 4x4 L&K in Petrol Blue which was sitting in Germany looking for an owner. Should receive it towards the end of the month - need to decide whether I travel to Skoda Rainworth for pick-up or have them deliver on a trailer. Now need to convince myself this was a wise investment :) Maybe not financially but hopefully for entertainment.

9 minutes ago, Littlewiz said:

After much prevaricating between a Superb (Heart) or a Mazda 6 Tourer 2.5 GT Sport Nav (head) it seems my heart won and I will be joining the Skoda family. 

Just placed an order for a Skoda Superb Estate 272 DSG 4x4 L&K in Petrol Blue which was sitting in Germany looking for an owner. Should receive it towards the end of the month - need to decide whether I travel to Skoda Rainworth for pick-up or have them deliver on a trailer. Now need to convince myself this was a wise investment :) Maybe not financially but hopefully for entertainment.

I would go and collect and keep your fingers crossed the PDI was better than mine !! Old post from November 2015 :

Rather not let it anywhere near the dealer cleaning team .... Their were a couple of rubber scuff marks that were not present when I took the pics of the car prior to pdi.

Looks like they bashed it with the the lance of a pressure washer.... Even scratched it a bit on the rear bumper....

Only spotted at home.... It polished off and the slight scratching will polish out when I have a go at it ....

Great buying experience but whoever did the cleaning obviously took no pride in what they did....

Bits of protective plastic still stuck in the switches. Fingerprints all over inside. Mats that were purchased and should have been fitted just left in the boot.

Salesman was obviously a bit embarrassed.... The mats were even stapled together. He helped me fit them ...

Would I buy from the dealer again.... Yes because the salesman was great...

But I would tell them to do absolutely nothing to the car apart from making it safe to drive home.

Under no circumstances would I let their Valeting guys get their hands on it again....

•  
Edited by Nick_H

41 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

Yes I agree that is satisfying... But ive now had 3 + years of this under the radar satisfaction and coming from a TVR it would be nice to make a little noise now and then :D Maybe now is the time for my F-TYPE R ;-)  that will go down well with the Mrs .... I wonder if it would be possible to engineer Golf-R type sound at the flick of a switch ? Best of both worlds... 

Of-course it's possible with an aftermarket valved cat-back. Question is is your wallet ready for that?

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/skoda-superb-sedan-wagon-4x4-20-tsi-280-hp-2015.aspx

Edited by newbie69

Sorry, last vid wasn't doing the sound justice.  This one gives a better idea, better sounding than any stock Golf R or S3 for anyone wanting to make their presence noticed...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Of-course it's possible with an aftermarket valved cat-back. Question is is your wallet ready for that?

https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/skoda-superb-sedan-wagon-4x4-20-tsi-280-hp-2015.aspx

More pertinent is the Mrs's wallet ready for it ? :D ! That does look good. I would possibly be  tempted if I had a Sportline but not on my SEL unless I lowered it a bit etc ... 

2 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Sorry, last vid wasn't doing the sound justice.  This one gives a better idea, better sounding than any stock Golf R or S3 for anyone wanting to make their presence noticed...

Damn you ! Please stop now !!!!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Littlewiz said:

Rainworth delivered mine, came on a drive on flatbed. I had no issues, car had delivery mileage of 6miles. Only thing I would point out is that they forgot to remove the transit blocks from the front suspension - PDI may have left them there deliberately because it was being delivered by lorry and the driver forgot, or it may have been missed on the PDI. Either way easy to check - quick search on here will find the thread you need. 

P1430416.JPG

18 minutes ago, Nick_H said:

I would go and collect and keep your fingers crossed the PDI was better than mine !! Old post from November 2015 :

Rather not let it anywhere near the dealer cleaning team .... Their were a couple of rubber scuff marks that were not present when I took the pics of the car prior to pdi.

Looks like they bashed it with the the lance of a pressure washer.... Even scratched it a bit on the rear bumper....

Only spotted at home.... It polished off and the slight scratching will polish out when I have a go at it ....

Great buying experience but whoever did the cleaning obviously took no pride in what they did....

Bits of protective plastic still stuck in the switches. Fingerprints all over inside. Mats that were purchased and should have been fitted just left in the boot.

Salesman was obviously a bit embarrassed.... The mats were even stapled together. He helped me fit them ...

Would I buy from the dealer again.... Yes because the salesman was great...

But I would tell them to do absolutely nothing to the car apart from making it safe to drive home.

Under no circumstances would I let their Valeting guys get their hands on it again....

•  

Thanks - good advice and I think  I will take to the option of going to the dealer just so I can give it a good look over before handover plus  i can enjoy the drive home :) I will also mention to the sales team to ensure care is taken during the PDI.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, paul_7_7_7 said:

Rainworth delivered mine, came on a drive on flatbed. I had no issues, car had delivery mileage of 6miles. Only thing I would point out is that they forgot to remove the transit blocks from the front suspension - PDI may have left them there deliberately because it was being delivered by lorry and the driver forgot, or it may have been missed on the PDI. Either way easy to check - quick search on here will find the thread you need. 

P1430416.JPG

Thanks - good to see the delivery method in action and also colour co-ordinated :) Looks a bit vulnerable on the back of the trailer. I wonder if I choose to pick up from the dealer I can negotiate a discount - it must be some cost to deliver like this. maybe a tank of fuel as they have asked me to pay £30 upfront to ensure I can get to a filling station.