Does this screen grab mean windows 10 is on my PC?

justinbarrow

Win 10 wont let me 'Quote' a post

Win 7 on my other Lap top, will

Any ideas?

This is using Chrome as I have downloaded Firefox again and it still locks up the laptop.  

EDIT: Looks like the quote works and if there is a smilie at the end of this then that does as well. :notme:

Edited by Chriswright03

• Administrators

WIn10 must be sucking up all of M$ attention, the Win7 update yesterday left my PC unstable, I had to go into Safe Mode, delete the M$ updated GFX driver and reinstall the last one directly from the AMD website, another reason to avoid Win10 - you cant turn off auto-updates.

Disable the service then it won't update, and then turn it on when your ready.

• Administrators

Unless you are using the Pro version of Win10, you CANT TURN AUTO UPDATES OFF.

Have an issue with your caps lock? :dull:

Windows 10 Home - Windows Update (Disabled)

post-124938-0-68131500-1439212831_thumb.jpg

Leave 'em on.

A bad update might cause issues with your PC, but probably not

Missing out on updates might cause issues with your bank account i.e. it being emptied.

Having an out of date PC might also give the banks an excuse not to reimburse you.

[dubious car analogy]

A bit like never getting your car serviced because the garage might damage it, then complaining it breaks down and wondering why the warranty won't pay out.

• Like 1

Thanks Phil..Just found it

Can I link to it on the Desktop, or do I have top open with Edge first?

I was able to find it through the search box then pinned it to my taskbar. Took me ages to figure it out after a couple of hours of messing around trying to log onto my work through citrix and couldn't get the citrix plugin to work. Turned out I was using edge and tried Internet Explorer and it worked.

I'm all for progress and new things but refuse to use a browser that breaks so many things until they're fixed! lol

Overall still very happy with 10!

• Like 1

Have an issue with your caps lock? :dull:

Windows 10 Home - Windows Update (Disabled)

attachicon.gifDisabledWinupdate.jpg

INTERESTING

(No capslock isnt broken, but sometimes I hit it without noticing and cant be bothered to go back and retype).

M$ have said it couldnt be switched off, perhaps they were lazy and forgot to block this method. Have you looked to see if the option is there under the normal "Update" control panel??

A bad update might cause issues with your PC, but probably not

You are joking, right?? There have been plenty of updates from M$ that have caused PCs to fail to boot, several in the last 12 months; just because YOU havent been affected, doesnt mean that other people havent.

Several years ago a M$ update killed my TPLink wifi cards and disabled my Gigabyte Gigabit ethernet ports (not a COINCIDENCE - unless you consider 2x wifi cards and 3x ethernet ports all after the same update to be a coincidence)

Been nearly a week with Win 10 on the Linx and its going really well.

Battery life appears better, had some updates already. Do miss the ability to swipe to go back pages in Edge though.

Well my experiences are good so far on an old Sony Vaio Laptop that came with windows 7. I even got the Scroll function working on the touch pad by installing the windows 7 driver from Sony's website seeing as they have no intension of going back this far for my hardware. Not completely sold on EDGE will continue to flick between Firefox, Chrome and Edge until I find which one suits me best on balance. I am shocked how accurate Cortana is with voice recognition though. I nearly do all my searches and navigation using her.

INTERESTING

(No capslock isnt broken, but sometimes I hit it without noticing and cant be bothered to go back and retype).

M$ have said it couldnt be switched off, perhaps they were lazy and forgot to block this method. Have you looked to see if the option is there under the normal "Update" control panel??

You are joking, right?? There have been plenty of updates from M$ that have caused PCs to fail to boot, several in the last 12 months; just because YOU havent been affected, doesnt mean that other people havent.

Several years ago a M$ update killed my TPLink wifi cards and disabled my Gigabyte Gigabit ethernet ports (not a COINCIDENCE - unless you consider 2x wifi cards and 3x ethernet ports all after the same update to be a coincidence)

Risk of updates Vs risk of malware.

I'll risk the updates.

Edge and Citrix don't get on because the Citrix receiver client relies on ActiveX.

But as said you can still use IE11 as a back up.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/citrix_warns_that_windows_10s_edge_browser_borks_receiver/

Risk of updates Vs risk of malware.

I'll risk the updates.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/what-amateurs-can-learn-from-security-pros-about-staying-safe-online/

Edge and Citrix don't get on because the Citrix receiver client relies on ActiveX.

But as said you can still use IE11 as a back up.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/citrix_warns_that_windows_10s_edge_browser_borks_receiver/

• Administrators

INTERESTING

As stated by you, you cannot turn off them off through the settings but you should always be able turn turn off or disable any service.

You can also turn off the Windows update via power shell using a command/text.

WIn10 must be sucking up all of M$ attention, the Win7 update yesterday left my PC unstable, I had to go into Safe Mode, delete the M$ updated GFX driver and reinstall the last one directly from the AMD website, another reason to avoid Win10 - you cant turn off auto-updates.

Interesting; I wonder where this is going to place those of us who have private networks that are airgapped from the WWW when/if we have to upversion (not upgrade; this requires knowing that the new software is better) from Win7?

Interesting; I wonder where this is going to place those of us who have private networks that are airgapped from the WWW when/if we have to upversion (not upgrade; this requires knowing that the new software is better) from Win7?

I dont know; Windows 10 wants you connected full time, it is almost a cloud service.

Back to M$ updates never cause problems....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/windows_10_download_bricks_pcs_kb3081424/

As stated by you, you cannot turn off them off through the settings but you should always be able turn turn off or disable any service.

You can also turn off the Windows update via power shell using a command/text.

But mum and dad, and 95% of the rest of the world, wont know how to do that, so are effectively being forced to use auto-update; hell, it is something I would have to look up how to do, if I ever intended to use Win10.

• Administrators

But mum and dad, and 95% of the rest of the world, wont know how to do that, so are effectively being forced to use auto-update; hell, it is something I would have to look up how to do, if I ever intended to use Win10.

This is true, I guess it Microsoft's way of keeping everyone updated and pushing updates out.

This is true, I guess it Microsoft's way of keeping everyone updated and pushing updates out.

And the fact that - until FireFox's latest update, even if you managed to select a browser that wasnt Redmonds, you were still FORCED to use Bing as your search engine.

And the fact that - until FireFox's latest update, even if you managed to select a browser that wasnt Redmonds, you were still FORCED to use Bing as your search engine.

I have been using alternative search since the get go. It even asked me which I wanted to use so I chose google now when I type or use cortana its using google.

I cannot see how you are FORCED (I always thought capitals meant you were shouting on tinternet) to use anything.  As far as I recall no one has had their choices taken away from them.  This is just a product and there are others out there so if anyone hates Microsoft that much as many seem to then simply walk away from it and use something else.

I dont know; Windows 10 wants you connected full time, it is almost a cloud service.

Back to M$ updates never cause problems....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/11/windows_10_download_bricks_pcs_kb3081424/

Win 10 will be pretty much useless to us then; our private network can not be allowed to connect to the WWW ever. It's annoying enough that Office 2010 complains about "not being registered" since it can't "phone home" even though it was installed off original media.

I cannot see how you are FORCED (I always thought capitals meant you were shouting on tinternet) to use anything.  As far as I recall no one has had their choices taken away from them.  This is just a product and there are others out there so if anyone hates Microsoft that much as many seem to then simply walk away from it and use something else.

If I try and use, say, Google under Win10 and Windoze pretends to use Google but actually runs the search through Bing, then that's not only forcing me to use different software to I selected, but also deception. If you can't see that, then are you actually qualified to take part in this discussion?

I do see that Ken and accept that part of it but my point (made poorly obviously) is that some people seem to hate Microsoft so much and knock it at every opportunity they can including using the dollar sign instead of the letter 's' when using the abbreviation MS yet they continue to use the product they hate so much.

As per the line at the bottom of all my posts it is only an opinion (mine).  I didn't realise I had to be qualified to take part in any discussion and as I obviously am not it is time for me to leave.