Does this screen grab mean windows 10 is on my PC?

justinbarrow

I don't think it would be possible to expect every post in this or any other computer related topic to be understandable by all levels of computer users. Nor do I think it's necessary, if there is something you don't understand, either ask or do your own research. We are all (or at least mostly) a friendly bunch so if you want to know more about RSAT or VPN then I'm sure someone will help out.

I had no idea what RSAT was and after a very quick google it looks like a Microsoft technology for administering servers. Doesn't sound that interesting to me so I won't dig any deeper but for some it could be a deal breaker. I know a little more about VPN's and if you want to know more I'm sure I can provide some links and attempt to answer any other questions you have. It's a very useful to know if you are part of a BYOC scheme (see note 1) that does use a VPN as you may no longer be able to access work resources when working from home or out of the office.

If every post started having footnotes as above to explain all technical terms that some people may not be familiar with It would start ending up more like a wikipedia article. I'd much rather have a collection of peoples thoughts, experiences and problems with Windows 10 so far. Ideally when people are having problems or have questions, another member chips in with a helpful response. Just my opinion, as per your signature, I'm sure some will agree and some won't.

Note 1 - BYOC - Bring your own computer, basically a scheme where instead of work providing a laptop, you provide and maintain your own laptop with a set amount of money. The exact details vary in each company but it would normally be set up with a VPN allowing secure access to work documents, printers and other resources from anywhere with a network connection such as your home or hotel. As you are responsible for your own laptop then the choice to upgrade is your own rather than waiting for the company to mandate it which is why knowing it isn't supported could be very useful to some before they lose access.

I appreciate that may be the case but how am I or anyone else like me to know?  No saying the full title as opposed to an abbreviation would not help but the point remains I think.

So obviously I am not a power user whatever one of them is and I think I will wait a couple of months anyway but curiosity and all that!

Not getting at anyone in paticular about this just I think if you are bothering to post on a non subject related topic in a car forum it would be better to explain in some form or other that said information would be of little use to the layman in order that those of without the knowledge at least know it would be of little use rather than think we may be missing something important.  It is almost (I stress almost) a form of snobbery.....I know something most of you don't and look how clever I am.  I am quite certain in most cases it is nothing of the sort but nevertheless I think if it were on a computer related forum it would be more relevant than in here.

No offence Chris but my wife knows what VPN is. :notme:  Virtual Private networks are not just for the Admins. Most people who have any intention of working from home will required vpn

to establish a secure tunnel through which to access resources on a remote server. You may wish to rdp ( remote desktop) to your PC at work you would need an active VPN or some other sort of tunneling protocol so it is quite a big deal for many people not just techs. Anyway i have VPN now working on Windows 10 So thats one less thing to worry about.  :clap:

.  It is almost (I stress almost) a form of snobbery.....I know something most of you don't and look how clever I am.  I am quite certain in most cases it is nothing of the sort but nevertheless I think if it were on a computer related forum it would be more relevant than in here.

Not at all and if it was as you suggest we wouldn't be using such common acronyms they would be far more ambiguous and vague. I think you have just wondered into the Technology Shed (It says so at the top of your page) by mistake and got a little confused thinking your still in the car section. Now have another Werthers Original pop your feet up and think of a time when life was more simple. :D

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to put this old fart straight folks. :D

I do understand what you are saying about the level of knowledge and not having the time or need to explain every little bit and I agree to an extent.  Just I am looking at the threads about Windows 10 to see if it is worth me bothering and most of it to me is gobbledy ****.  If I put up a question "Is it worth me changing over to Windows 10?"  it couldn't be answered in simple terms because no one would need to know what my use of a computer is.  I have seen somewhere that it doesn't support WIndows Media Player and that is the sort of thing that I would need to know so I could then ask well what do I get to replace it.

I can and do Google stuff myself if I don't understand but sometimes a bit of plain English from as you rightly say a (mostly) friendly group can help far more.  OK off to sit down now as my brain is worn out.

Thanks for your tiem anyway.

After a couple of days of Win 10 on the Linx 10 tablet  I can safely say that it's a lot better than 8.1 so far. 

Good points -

can switch from  tablet mode to desktop mode quickly.

Seems to run all my programs so far.

Quicker and smoother.

Edge seems to work well.

Uses the full 32gb (after a disk cleanup and removes the one windows)

Off points-

Can only see battery % if in "battery saver mode" otherwise you just have to rely on the small battery icon.

Takes longer to boot - but not a problem as doesn't seem to drain the battery like 8.1 while asleep.  (first time recharged this morning since installation on Sunday - would drain in less than a day of non use on 8.1)

Had to unlock rotation (auto rotate off as default)

It seems a lot more like a tablet in Tablet mode. (if that makes sense)

If interested used the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  media creation Tool -(32bit) and used the "Upgrade this pc" option rather than create a USB or ISO.

I did a system image backup before I started,.

I've found a couple of times that doing an "upgrade"  from within an existing installation of windows seems to work better (driver wise) than doing a totally fresh install. 

Thanks for taking the time to put this old fart straight folks. :D

I do understand what you are saying about the level of knowledge and not having the time or need to explain every little bit and I agree to an extent.  Just I am looking at the threads about Windows 10 to see if it is worth me bothering and most of it to me is gobbledy ****.  If I put up a question "Is it worth me changing over to Windows 10?"  it couldn't be answered in simple terms because no one would need to know what my use of a computer is.  I have seen somewhere that it doesn't support WIndows Media Player and that is the sort of thing that I would need to know so I could then ask well what do I get to replace it.

I can and do Google stuff myself if I don't understand but sometimes a bit of plain English from as you rightly say a (mostly) friendly group can help far more.  OK off to sit down now as my brain is worn out.

Thanks for your tiem anyway.

It's Windows Media Centre it doesn't support - only if you use your PC to stream Music/Videos to something else. It still plays video and music (although for DVDs you will need a player program as it's not included.

Is it worth changing to Win 10? -  A free upgrade - always worth it but I'd wait for a bit and let all of us "trailblazers" test it for you ;)   

I'm in two minds whether to update my mother-in-laws pc  from 8.1 to 10 - although I think it is easier to use and less confusing - she thinks it's all confusing and not as good a CP/M and Wordstar. (If you don't know what they are - you are "an old fart" as she is 83!)  

• Like 1

Definitely worth upgrading.

My laptop it flying along now and the battery life is very good.

Also the other half's Asus T100 tablet is loads better than before. Much faster, not having the swipe through recent apps and just minimize them even in tablet mode and again the battery is a huge improvement. Windows 8.1 used to guzzle the battery when in active standby. Windows 10 is great. Battery still at over 70% and it was last charged on Saturday and been used a few times.

Just to put my perspective on things.  I used to have a brand new Windows 8 laptop when I was using it for Union work.  I have left that role now and left the laptop with my successor thank you very much as I hated Windows 8 (Old fart mode) because I couldn't see the point of all that touch screen nonsense when you do not have a touch screen and it just seemed so long winded even just to turn the thing off!

Anyway I bought a second hand Lenovo Thinkpad SL510 from our local Computer shop.  It has Windows 7 Pro on it and works ok but sometimes just seems a little clunky. Takes a while to load programmes and sometimes I have to reboot it because it seems to lock up.  Nothing seriously wrong with it and as I use it for general trawling the net and for storing pictures and music it does what I need really.  I think it is probably bloated with all manner of crap although I am very careful about what I look at and load I suspect it may have picked up some rubbish along the way.  It is running Microsoft Security Essentials as I decided against paying for another year of AVG wisely or not an it is not showing up any viruses.

I only run the laptop logged in as me and then for Admin I have to log in again and that way hopefully if I do pick up anything nasty it is restricted to where it can dig as I am not logged on with Admin access.  I 'think' I am OK running as I am with 7 instead of 10 but I suppose it is the new toys bit in us that makes us want anything shiny and new.  Also as it is free and there to my mind is  a chance that it may remove some of the clunkiness of the laptop as it is now I thought I would update.  Now having read all of the threads on here and another non car related forum I use I am unsure.

Oh and I do remember what Wordstar was I have used it in the past and found it to be a massive improvement over the typewriter!  Which in itself was a huge improvement over the block of stone and chisel!

• Like 2

Sorry I think it's rubbish.

So Soshawl Meeja based and it whinges & bi7ches at you to do this, combines & organises things that you don't want organised. Proper Win 10 drivers are few & far between at the moment which can cause you all sorts of issues, such as the lack of being able to hibernate or make the computer sleep.

Locking it is messy, unless you know where to look, then there's the misnomer or "Apps" when it should be "Programs", edge is still poor compared to FF & Chrome and even they don't appear correctly, Kaspersky AV & Kaspersky IS don't work unless you go hunting around for the patched versions.

Then there's the slow shutdown & start up times, Win 7 used to start from scratch with my SSD in about 20s, it now takes around 40s and to shutdown or restart takes at least as long & that's despite me optimising the SSD.

Notifications keep popping up, yet when you access the notifications box in the Action Center to read it, there's nothing there! And whatever you do don't do a clean up of the HDD/SSD afterwards as you're very likely to lose the lack of ability to roll back to good old faithful aka Windows 7.

I would therefore strongly recommend that if you have Windows 7 or 8 and you're happy with it, stay with it because it really is poor at the moment as there are simply too many glitches and foibles to say it's good, you just have to do so much digging around to find things that were easily & readily available on Win 7, it's unbelievable.

• Like 1

^^ Take it you don't like it then?!

Seems to have worked on the linx 10. I also seem to have loads more disk space.

Not come through yet on mine. Does it notify you via Desktop mode or on the main start screen? On desktop I get the "We're getting it ready" message.

^^ Take it you don't like it then?!

Not come through yet on mine. Does it notify you via Desktop mode or on the main start screen? On desktop I get the "We're getting it ready" message.

Now I wonder what makes you think that! 

It seems this may help if you have the sleep problem like I did: http://www.jasonhartman.net/2012/06/windows-7-wont-go-to-sleep-mode-audio.html

I think most of it's down to what machine you're upgrading TheWanderer.

Real win10 drivers are few and far between but on my laptop (Vostro 3360) every device apart from the trackpad worked. The win8.1 trackpad driver installed and functions without issue. I'd suggest checking the manufacturers webpage for any information, for instance Dell have released a number of machines they've tried win10 on and the results here: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954/EN Fortunately, my laptop is on the list which is probably why I've not had any hardware/driver issues.

For locking it, I'd try using 'Windows Logo + L', that seems to work on most windows versions and I'm pretty sure it did for me on win10 too. Booting is super quick as it was on win8.1, much quicker than win7 ever was. I'll certainly agree that most things have moved around and that there are far too many privacy options to turn on/off, took a little while to find most of them. Haven't tried edge as I prefer Chrome which is working exactly the same as it does on win7 and win8.1.

This is all on a clean install as I still don't trust Microsoft to successfully do an upgrade properly.

I think my best advice is:

- Don't touch it unless you're comfortable formatting your system and reinstalling your previous OS

- Back up everything!

- Check the manufactures website for any obvious issues with your machine

- Make sure you have some kind of drivers (ideally win8.1) for your machine

- After the upgrade do a clean install (plenty of tools to extract the key from windows 10, and I think windows might even figure the key out itself so this may not be needed)

- Check every privacy option you can find, I imagine there are guides for this already

Should give at least a tolerable if not slightly jarring (just from the UI) windows 10 experience when you're done :)

• Like 1

Scratch built machine. Had enough of being screwed around by so called professional PC manufacturers such as Dell, Mesh, Evesham and so on.

So my machine consists of:

Gigabyte Z99- Motherboard

Intel i7-3770 @ 3.5Ghz

16Gb ram

2 x 2Tb HDDs

1 x 500Gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

GTX 970 GFX

Sound Blaster Z

1 Pioneer BDR - 209M BluRay BDXL drive

1 Pioneer BDR - 207M BluRay BDXL drive

Multi Card Reader.

1 x Azio Bluetooth Adaptor.

1 x Billion Wi-Fi Adaptor (Soon to be replaced, along with the Billion 8800 AXL router (crap))

If interested used the https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10  media creation Tool -(32bit) and used the "Upgrade this pc" option rather than create a USB or ISO.

I did a system image backup before I started,.

Used the method above.

• Like 1

Gigabyte Z99- Motherboard

GTX 970

Sound Blaster Z

Gigabyte haven't announced support for that board yet (assuming it is Z99 not X99) http://www.gigabyte.com/MicroSite/381/w10.htm If it's actually a X99 board and in that list then you have a full set of win 10 drivers ready for you.

I think there were issues with Nvidia drivers but I don't know the details, I'm sure there either is or will be soon a good driver for the GTX 970.

Soundblaster Z looks good too: http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&CatName=Sound+Blaster&prodID=21402&prodName=Sound+Blaster+Z

I'd expect the bundled drivers to take care of the bluetooth and wifi.

Depending on exactly what your motherboard is, I'd either expect a good or terrible experience from a clean install ;)

Senior moment! It's a Z77X-UD5H-Wi-Fi.

I was thinking of upgrading to the GA-X99-UD5 Wi-Fi, but I've decided not to pursue that at the current time, too many bills & birthdays going on until September/October. 

Chris, I would suggest you do what a lot of us are doing, and that is to accept the download, but don't install it for 2-3 months until all the bugs have been knocked out - windows 8.1 came out very quickly to sort out windows 8 and its shortcomings.

With this in mind, there is no reason not to think the same will happen to windows 10.

It really is a good idea to check the machine manufacturers web site to check for operating system pre compliance, that way any issues and drivers can be pre downloaded and stored before you nuke the old system.

I use a lot of computer software and equipment in my daily life, and sometimes it does appear knowledgeable people speak in another language, but the fact remains that without people like them, people like us would be left foundering in the wake of our own panic as stuff stops working.

They are clever people who know their stuff, and who offer advice with very little strings attached, just as we do in the car sections to people who have less knowledge than us. My dad used to say to me "all questions are easy when you know the answers" - personally, I'm still working on it :giggle:

• Like 1

That is certainly an option Phil but though I have registered my interest (twice) and it says I will be notified I still haven't and that was some days ago.

As regards the other stuff I have been around and using computers for many years and am aware that some will offer very good advice and some (a minority) seem to think it is cool to baffle and bewilder to make it look like it is all done by smoke and mirrors.  Not that I am saying any on here are in that group I hasten to add.

The update is being released on a staggered basis as I understand it, so as not to swamp both the internet and the support departments to enable them to roll the system out in the most efficient way possible.

So I understand Ken.  It is probably like it was at school where I am one of the last because of my surname!

How will I know?  Will I have an email or will there be a notification pop up?

A little box will pop up in the r/h bottom corner of your screen to tell you it has downloaded and is ready to deploy, just select the later option and carry on working for however long you want to leave it (weeks, months) until you are ready and comfortable to do it.

• Like 1

This maybe useful if you cannot get Windows 10 to go to sleep.

Find the Command Prompt & run as administrator.

Now type the following command which will list out all the devices that can wake up your Windows 7/10 computer.

Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed

Now you can disable a device by typing in the following command and replacing devicename with the name of the device listed previously:

Powercfg -devicedisablewake “devicename“

So for example: Powercfg -devicedisablewake "Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection" (Enter)

Now redo the Powercfg -devicequery wake_armed and it or the name of the device should have vanished from the list. Repeat until it sleeps without instantly reawakening