Coming back into the fold, but I have a dilemma.

Shifty

Hey everyone. I've been toying with the idea of a new Skoda for some time now. A trip to Simpsons today helped me along, some cracking deals on right now. My dilemma is this - A brand new Superb SE Business Estate with DSG and 10k a year on PCH for 2 years for a £1450 initial rental then £210 pcm (BARGAIN) or the Jungle Green Yeti Outdoor L and K in the showroom, same deposit, £199 pcm.

The kids are occasional passengers, as are our 2 dogs, although rarely and I need adequate space for my DJ equipment. Economy, space and relaibility are my main concerns. What do I do? I'm truly stuck trying to decide which would be the better option. The Yeti is pretty pimp, but I'd probably have to **** a snoot at you all at meets and park in formation to spell Yeti, sort of... Just joking kids....

• Like 3

I think with the seats out, the carrying capacity could be similar. I'm quite partial to the Yeti interior with the brown leather... handy for those off road 'moments'. Obviously I'd have to order a Superb unseen, which does trouble me. I've watched every review so far and seen every picture and it's very tempting, especially at the price.

What engines are we looking at?

Economy appears to be the number one priority and can vary massively when comparing a brick shaped Yeti to the heavyweight Superb.

• Like 1

Engine wise I believe they both have 150ps 2.0 oilburners. I also looked at an Octavia vRS estate, but the loadspace is a bit useless for me as the boot is a lot smaller than my current Saab and those seats dont fold at all flat. I was still tempted obviously, and in some wierd spur of the moment brainwave I could still end up with one because... well because vRS. Primer grey is the best non colour in my opinion. Good choice,

• Like 3

I guess it depends what you carry.

We have an Octavia estate and a Superb hatchback (both MkII's) and had a Yeti as a courtesy car once, the boot was useful but too small for our needs compared to our existing two cars.

• Like 1

Similar, the boot of Superb Estate is massive and tiny on the Yeti :no:

Octy demonstrated his with three crates, he got the same amount in both with slightly more room in the Yeti IIRC, Alan.

Is that with a spare wheel and seats up ? I remember the first time I saw a yetties boot and was shocked how small it was . Checked 660 litres for superb and 430 for yettie

• Like 1

Definitely go for the Superb.

You'll have plenty of room in there. The Yeti boot is actually quite small.

The Superb has a bigger fuel tank, 62mpg vs 51mpg, band C tax vs band F.

This is assuming the Yeti is 4x4 as from what I can see the only Yeti 2.0 DSG Outdoor L&K is 4x4.

Phil

• Like 2

Thanks Phil, yes the Yeti is 4x4. It looks nicely kitted out... however the fuel consumption isn't brilliant from what Ive just researched. It's pointing toward the Superb at the moment. I'm getting around 18mpg from my 10 year old Saab and spend more than the monthly payments on these new Skoda's in fuel alone. It's just not cost effective for me to run an old car anymore with repairs etc. What I'm getting at is the economy needs to be quite high, and i suspect it will be much higher on the Superb than the Yeti.

Yeti. Strip out the interior and put the unused seats in your man cave. Then tweak the engine till charcoal briquettes come out of the exhaust. sort the suspension and you have a proper 'Shifty Yeti powered ultra quick Disco' (not the other sort of 4x4 Disco obviously).

welcome back :)

• Like 1

Superb FTW. End of. Thread closed :D

Maybe not, the Yeti is useless as a toot carrier, the Superb wagon is indeed bigger, but if you want a 1/2 decent full-size estate car then go peek at a Mondeo. 

Mk 5 if you are thinking brand new, or Mk 4 2nd-hand.

We didn't get rid of our old Mondeo when we were Superb hunting, it was a much better wagon.

DC

I suspect the real world difference between the Yeti and the Superb will be quite big.

Also factor in the big difference in car tax.

Think the Superb is only £30 per year to tax but the Yeti is £130.

Superb is a lower insurance group too. Faster acceleration and higher top speed. Plus you get DSG which you won't regret! Bigger fuel tank too (66 vs 60 litres) so you will get a really good range out of it.

Superb luggage capacity is 625 vs the Yeti's 416. So yes the Yeti may fit more in but only if you have the seats out etc. Whereas the Superb just has a bigger boot to begin with and probably no need to put the seats down most of the time.

Phil

• Like 1

You have to ask!? Skoda Superb (and Octy) estates are more like trimmed up vans (seats right down) than cars, but drive and go like cars. Yetis (well aside from BossFox's Yeti vRS) handle more like boats don't they?

Also, on the loading front, which has the lower boot floor height? I suspect the Superb, and that's going to a factor for speaker stacks and dogs.

• Like 1

A few months ago I went to the airport with friends. We were going snowboarding so had big suitcases. Had 5 adults in the car and 5 suitcases in the boot along with 5 pieces of hand luggage. I only needed to take the parcel shelf out and could still see through the rear window. The Superb boot is even bigger!

They really are huge! We often go to Germany and take our folding bikes in the boot along with our cases and other bits and pieces. We then usually just have the 12v coolbox on the back seat and if we buy any wine etc that has to go on the back seat but it really is impressive what you can fit in the boots of these cars!

Why you might see Superb Estates used as 'Private Ambulances / Hearse', Airport Transport, Mini Cab, etc,

But a Yeti Hearse is an unlikely sight.

Shifty is going into the Funeral business? Dave! You losing it or what?        :D

• Like 2

A brand new Superb SE Business Estate with DSG and 10k a year on PCH for 2 years for a £1450 initial rental then £210 pcm (BARGAIN) or the Jungle Green Yeti Outdoor L and K in the showroom, same deposit, £199 pcm

We have a Jungle Green L&K Yeti 170CR 4x4 (F/L) whilst it’s a nice car my MKII Superb Elegance estate was better IMO,

The Yeti averages just over 40MPG, whereas the 190 Superb is claimed to be 60MPG, it is a different league with regards to technology and comfort etc... but I am biased as I intend to buy a 190 L&K Superb

• Like 1

Why you might see Superb Estates used as 'Private Ambulances / Hearse', Airport Transport, Mini Cab, etc,

But a Yeti Hearse is an unlikely sight.

that's only because nobody's asked to take a dead Yeti to a funeral.

• Like 3