Would Adblue put you off another diesel

Sad555

Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?

Well it looks like we have unfortunately been bitten by this with my wife's car (not a VAG vehicle). I won't go into any details until we have heard back from the dealer but suffice to say we are potentially looking at a very expensive repair bill and totally not our fault.  :sweat:

1/

"(I was)" also )))......I had dreams of a hoist, but that was back in the spanner days ....bit late now.(((

2/

Without dumping, love to know symptoms/ country of manufacture relating to wife's car problem.

I just paid over £500 after some 'loyalty discount' for a dealer replacement of the infamous EGR+cooler - 2012 4WD, 50K and just outside warranty. No way was I up to that DIY challenge during cold wet Winter. They say the replacement part is 'modified'.  Why am I paying expensive prices to repair parts not fit for purpose with a reasonable lifetime expectation? 50,000 miles at average 50mph is 1000 hours or 41 days continuous running to serious engine system failure.

Is that what is mean't by reliable diesel? There are loads of vags reported with expensive EGR faults, When they introduced the new CR engines, they put the EGR at the back creating frustrating access problems and increasing the cost of repairs. EGR,DPF, Catalysers and now Adblue repairs will test your love for diesel cars.

• Like 1

Where do you buy ad-blue and what sort of consumption should you expect

Halfords, petrol station, ebay, Amazon....................................

I think someone posted earlier that a tank lasted about 5.5k miles

Where do you buy ad-blue and what sort of consumption should you expect

Today I received my 1500 mile warning, 6264 miles driven from new.

Costs around £1/litre so approx 1% of fuel cost. Edited by clv101

Sorry it's off topic but just updating previous posts.

Basically it could have been worse!

Wife's Mini Cooper S bought new in 2010 and currently on 23k. miles and well looked after with full main dealer history. Recently had engine warning light come on (intermittently) which handbook suggested could be emissions related. Car drove as normal. Put new front tyres on last week and booked in for service, MOT and investigation last Friday.

Link sent for video of investigation (good and useful) which showed that the problem was the Valvetronic unit. Now this wouldn't have been too bad at approx. £200 plus labour but oil had travelled up the wiring loom (about 3 foot long) and into the control module. Service guy rang me with the cost - £800 for the loom and £1200 for the module plus fitting! Before shock set in I asked him about goodwill which he said he would pursue and come back to me on Monday.

He did and said that BMW would cover 70% of the cost of the parts. Whilst the Valvetronic shouldn't have failed at only 23k. miles I agreed on this as the car is nearly 6 years old and negotiated a better labour cost. Still going to cost getting on for a grand but a lot better than it would been!

Alternative would be to go to an Independent (would have if no goodwill) who could clean the loom and module but I preferred to get the new parts.

So this is a good example of what can happen to unfortunate, subsequent owners later in a car's life, even when cared for properly. Another of couple of years down the line and the value of the car may have meant it being scrapped or being repaired with salvage parts? It may have only been up to 50k. miles then, so nothing really.

One or two folks I know asked about buying the Mini - I'm glad they didn't now!

I knew about the potential timing chain issue (ring a bell!) if oil allowed to fall too low and not changed often enough but this issue came right out of the blue.

Reminds me of the alternator coolant(!) going up the loom of a mate's V8 7 series and cooking the instrument panel .......complexity to reduce alternator fan noise.

Wouldn't touch a second hand one, that's for sure!

To answer your previous post - German!

When Googling found that other German cars i.e. Mercedes have problems with oil travelling up looms. All these problems really are a nightmare.

Don't know about Fords, Vauxhalls and Jaguar etc. Have never owned one and have therefore never researched them. I guess they have their problems as well?

Ironically have owned many, many Fiats, mostly second-hand and rarely had any problems with them and if so only minor. Also had the odd Peugeot (309 Gti - great car) and early VW and Audi and no problems of note. Things were so much simpler even just a few years ago.

Edited by VAGCF

The Germans are being forced into complexity to maintain a 'point-of-difference' ......panel gaps and paint are a given as with reliability for Asian and generally Ford / Opel etc........it's what gives them the desirability factor, but ultimately really only advisable for a business write off, from my perspective.

We have different kinds of audience reading posts and some get scared of buying 'lemons' when they read topics covering faults. We know that more faults probably get reported than perfectly running cars with no history of faults. The car owner is at a big disadvantage because manufacturers and dealers can hide their warranty repair statistics. My opinions are usually based on search results and experiences of others in significant number. I can smell rats and design defects very quickly as do most independent garages who are not bound to secrecy or minimal information divulgement like dealerships.

Vauxhall Zafiras are setting themselves on fire. They are blaming unapproved repairs which I suspect is short circuiting the protective (failed) thermal fuse. But the real problem is most vehicle manufacturers using the same stupid system, failed to fit a smart efficient PWM fan motor speed controller. Instead they fitted a huge power dissipating resistor pack which requires airflow to cool it. Unfortunately, that air flow passes through the pollen filter which most ignore. The pollen filter gets blocked, the air-con efficiency goes down, but worst is the thermal over temperature fuse or resistors fail and only Maximum fan speed works.

I haven't been inside our Yeti blower motor controller yet, but I suspect it will use  a similar type of hot running resistor pack and thermal safety fuse. I think I will modify my pollen filter to be a blank 'cartridge' with a layer of nylon bug screen to keep leaf seeds out of the cabin. More efficient air-con, heating and more reliable blower resistor pack. We don't suffer asthma or drive the Yeti through sand.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

THat's interesting, but of course will leave millions of legacy vehicles still polluting so it will be a tapper down effect unless there are substantial buy back schemes? 

THat's interesting, but of course will leave millions of legacy vehicles still polluting so it will be a tapper down effect unless there are substantial buy back schemes?

The other legacy will be integration with driverless cars in any case.

Everything seems to be gravitating toward DC, IT and robotics with the timespan the major imponderable.

The other legacy will be integration with driverless cars in any case.

Everything seems to be gravitating toward DC, IT and robotics with the timespan the major imponderable.

Agreed with us currently testing parts of these systems in current models that have adaptive CC, auto braking, self parking, self steering, any number of sensor aids, adaptive Sat Navs, etc., etc.

Same could be said of LPG/Super & Regular vehicles in the past.

But have driven/Owned  Diesels since Late 70's, A Mate of mine has a solution.

On Voting Papers another option be added, "None of the Above", if records show +40% , Salary is suspended for 6 months,

Super is Forfeited and Army comes and collect them + 3 Senior Public Servants. They are then Taken to an internment camp in the "Simpson Desert Au", for 6 months.

and left to fend & Feed for themselves.

@ 65 , have found that "Bureaucratic Bulls**t baffles Brains" and I have more Brain Power, Though not Brilliant or gifted. Success = Hard work.

Donald Trump 1B in illegal tax write offs, are the Germans going back to "Adolf Hitler days and using the same sort of Tactics.

FINALLY WILL NOT STOP USING MY YETI, PREVIOUS DIESELS  2X TOYOTA HILUX'S 4wd, LAND ROVER DISCO TD5 4wd ,

+ 2 WORK VEHICLES- MAZDA'S 1 4wd,

AND NOW MY  beloved SNOWMAN.

Edited by Gobmax

I think AdBlue is definitely going to be a factor in my next car being a petrol. I've now had my second warning come on after 8800 miles (first was at 4000 and probably topped up around 4500) so my particular Yeti seems very poor with it. Most of my driving is daily 13 mile commute (around 20 mins, half town, half 70mph dual carriageway), I don't really drive it hard in any way and engine always gets up to temp by about halfway through my journey. I've always felt my 150tdi feels lethargic compared to a friend's exact same model from a few months previous build (and, perhaps more fittingly - pre-diesel scandal) so I am dubious that the emission restrictions were possibly "turned up" by the time mine was built.

For anyone with a TDI SCR from Motability you do not need to pay for your Ad-blue fillup it is covered by the maintenance costs that Mobility pay for 

so just have it done at a Main Dealership when required, 

or so i was told by a Motability Customer Services Call Centre call handler.

TBH, all the negative waves ... wonder how many anti-posters actually have a vehicle that uses AD-BLUE, only marginally more difficult than filling the screenwash on some modern cars, the Yeti takes approx 9L, so maybe once a year on average ... how hard can it be?  :peek:

• Like 2

TBH, all the negative waves ... wonder how many anti-posters actually have a vehicle that uses AD-BLUE, only marginally more difficult than filling the screenwash on some modern cars, the Yeti takes approx 9L, so maybe once a year on average ... how hard can it be?  :peek:

Don't worry, there will always be someone who finds a negative about something.

Personally it doesn't worry me.

• Like 1

If I had the choice I'd take the ad blue over the old non ad blue.

• Like 2