House Alarms

I'm looking at house alarms and wondering if to get a wired or wireless system.

The wireless systems claim either 2-3 years battery or 5 years.

The company supplying the 2-3 years system suggests changing them every year and the 5 year people change them every 4 years as part of the maintainance.

Oddly most of the wireless systems seem to be entirely bettery powered with not mains feed.

The other thing that concerns me a little, is the 128bit WLS (Wireless security system) seems a bit like WEP, so cracking it might be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with these things, as I'm certainly not looking for a system I can control by a web interface and just want something reliable that can have a mix of PIR and door sensors etc.

Also I've had conflicting advice on the wired sensors, some saying you should install them facing away from the windows, to create a perimeter and avoid false alarms.

The others saying you should install them facing the main points of access and correctly adjust the sensors so they are not detecting outdoors.

Any advice greatly appreciated, particularly if you have an alarm and can comment on the sensor locations.

• Like 1

I'd also recommend facing away from Windows or external doors, depending on room layout, facing the door to a room.

The idea is for anyone entering a room tripping the alarm as soon as they've come in a door or window. Having pets needs special sensors and for them to be set up to avoid false triggers.

Wireless I'd only consider something by ADT or Chubb installed by their engineers. I wouldn't entertain a DIY option myself.

Personally I prefer wired with battery backup as to disable someone has to get in, which would trigger something. Wireless can be hacked or blocked too easily for my liking.

ADT had a good deal on wireless recently with remote monitoring. Price was similar to a decent DIY system.

I'd save your money.

Someones house alarm goes off about once a week on our estate, no one pays any attention anymore, they sound for 20 minutes, wake everyone up, set the dogs off, then reset.

The illuminated alarm box with flashing LED is as much of a deterrent. 

• Like 1

I'm looking at house alarms and wondering if to get a wired or wireless system.

The wireless systems claim either 2-3 years battery or 5 years.

The company supplying the 2-3 years system suggests changing them every year and the 5 year people change them every 4 years as part of the maintainance.

Oddly most of the wireless systems seem to be entirely bettery powered with not mains feed.

The other thing that concerns me a little, is the 128bit WLS (Wireless security system) seems a bit like WEP, so cracking it might be an issue.

Does anyone have any experience with these things, as I'm certainly not looking for a system I can control by a web interface and just want something reliable that can have a mix of PIR and door sensors etc.

Also I've had conflicting advice on the wired sensors, some saying you should install them facing away from the windows, to create a perimeter and avoid false alarms.

The others saying you should install them facing the main points of access and correctly adjust the sensors so they are not detecting outdoors.

Any advice greatly appreciated, particularly if you have an alarm and can comment on the sensor locations.

I've installed wireless systems throughout nearly 200 substations and they been in there for 7 years now, with out any major issues. Any problems tend to be user than equipment issues. We used the infinite prime panels from Electronic lines with GSM alerts and ability to arm/disarm via text and to dial in and listen. Battery life really depends on the activity. Quiet sites batteries can last a few years, but active sites under construction, batteries can go quick, especially the main door. We did a 6 monthly test of the system and changed batteries yearly due to the nature of the sites. I have one in the house and shed with out any issues.

PIR I would get pet immune ones and I always point away from Windows due to sun light and people walking past. You can add smoke detectors, flood detectors, home automation units.

They have now got panels which uses apple or Android apps to control, new pirs which takes photos as well onto a internal sd card.

Overall it's proved to very reliable and used them in strange locations, even up a pole in a cabinet in a compound with external pirs

• Like 1

NOOOOOOOOO, go wireless, thats the future.

ADT charge me £25.99 a month for remote monitoring and any service calls I need if batteries for the PIR sensors need replacing.

I have 3 PIR sensors and a door contact switch for the front door.

The system dials out early each morning to report any errors and to receive firmware updated etc.

Our system have 'key fobs' to activate and deactivate the alarm when we leave or arrive and I have complete confidence on the systems and technology behind it.

You can get a professional installed system for just £99 and a monthly cost of about £25 which includes monitoring and service contract..........Do you buy a Starbucks coffee every morning????   The service charge is LESS than £1 a day!!!!!!!!!

Research has shown that 93% of burglars will avoid homes with a monitored ADT alarm – and they should know!  (the other 7% are probably VERY stupid and slow witted haha.)

Check this link for further details and to arrange a free survey to see if it suits your needs.

ADT monitored systems.

I have to say, I've done a bit more digging and some of the the purely wireless systems have particular weaknesses which means they could be vulnerable to a listen, jam and replay attack on a sensor.

It's highly unlikely right now as it requires a laptop, a little bit of kit and a brain, however give it a few years and I'd say there is a reasonable chance there will be a box of tricks for the local pondlife to use when breaking and entering.

There's a public bench close enough to the property, that you could sit there for hours and not arrouse suspision.

On the ADT front, I'll give it a skip, as it's a rented system, so if I stop they take the alarm.

I think from what's been said the wireless is fine, although as there are a fair few sensors the quotes I've had back wired and wireless are coming in slightly in favour of the wired.

Maintainance contracts for the wireless are more (Well the decent ones are).

I'm certainly liking the SD card in the PIR idea and was looking at a few of these the other day.

What are anyones thoughts with getting a GSM/SMS gateway to send messages if the alarm goes off?

Also any thoughts about a wireless bridge to allow panic buttons that you can take to any room if home alone.

I'm also wondering about external sensors perhaps for a gate and a bin store if I added a wireless option.

Finally it's only one sensor on the first floor that I'm thinking of placing facing the windows at 45 degrees and that's purely because getting a wire through a wall with wallpaper on it is going to cause merry hell and require a repaper. The PIR would likely be a combined IR and Microwave one, so would this be enough to cut the false alarms right down?

Fundamentally nobody should be on that balcony when the alarm is on anyway, although you can never discount a bird landing on it I guess,

Thoughts much appreciated.

EDIT: Hmm I've just noticed you're in south wales, if you cover domestic and not just commerical and cover somerset, then if you're interested I'd be very interested in sending work the way of a fellow member.

Edited by cheezemonkhai

I'd save your money.

Someones house alarm goes off about once a week on our estate, no one pays any attention anymore, they sound for 20 minutes, wake everyone up, set the dogs off, then reset.

Well that's one view, but it isn't just for others.

Part of it is piece of mind for the better half, as she can set ground floor door and window sensors on the system and then have a degree of security when in the house or in the bedroom.

Also we have good friends who are 2 doors away, so if it went off they've have a look too.

While I'm adding to this, has anyone any thoughts on the daitem e-nova systems, as somebody has offered one of those as a wireless solution.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 1

things like but not exclusively -

"I have 3 PIR sensors and a door contact switch for the front door.

The system dials out early each morning to report any errors and to receive firmware updated etc.

Our system have 'key fobs' to activate and deactivate the alarm when we leave or arrive and I have complete confidence on the systems and technology behind it."

• Like 1

Fair to a point, but anyone who is breaking and entering with the intent to get past an alarm system is going to know the likely installation points.

They'll definately be looking to mitigate the likely sensors anyway, so it's deminishing returns.

Has anyone got any further thoughts on that sensor on the first floor as it's the only one that can't easily be wired in and It'll determine if I go wired, hybrid (Wired with a wireless bridge) or fully wireless.

Also anyone any thoughts on alarm boxed, should I get dual functional or one functional and one dummy box?

One side of the house is quite secluded and the other in view of a public footpath.

I'd save your money.

Or these

• Like 3

Or these

attachicon.gifdogs.jpg

With this system, installation costs almost nothing (just seconds).  Parts, however, could be far higher than either wired or wireless systems, and maintenance costs (remember to include vet's bills and insurance) would be well above the £25 pm suggested above.  False alarms?...ask your local postman. 

[sorry about that - just had to do it.  Back on topic....] 

With this system, installation costs almost nothing (just seconds).  Parts, however, could be far higher than either wired or wireless systems, and maintenance costs (remember to include vet's bills and insurance) would be well above the £25 pm suggested above.  False alarms?...ask your local postman. 

[sorry about that - just had to do it.  Back on topic....] 

Most insurance claims usually carry a hefth excess payout by the insured party, surley the saving of the excess would cover the additional fees of Pinky and Perky

Had my house "wired alarm" fitted about 10 years ago. In that time I've added an extension ring into the garage which the engineer happily did for a few quid (I ran the cable in a duct under the drive when I was putting electric across). I've had a new back up battery once, had a couple of night time random alarms which I can only put down to some scrote sneaking in the rear garden and peering through the dining room patio doors as that's the PIR sensor which was tripped (inside the dining room, pointing at the doors), and a yearly service/test costs £60. Coincidentally I service the alarm technicians boiler and charge him the same amount. Handy.

If any component goes wrong them it's a simple component replacement, rather than messing about with wireless frequencies and matching stuff etc.

Personally, I wouldn't entertain a wireless system, and I wouldn't consider £26 per month either, but maybe that's just Yorkshire. The system is mine and it's paid for, and it works. I reckon if I'd put wireless in I'd be changing stuff by now (many times over based on the battery replacements being mooted here).

I'm with you on the renting at X per month thing. £300 a year seems a lot of money for a small wireless system.

Especially when you consider the wired system is yours and makes the house more sellable (Compared to others in the same area) when it has an alarm with it.

Worrying about wireless battery replacement just seems like a complete ball ache to me.

Dog is not an option at this time... but may be very shortly.

However still the alarm questions would be appreciated if anyone has any genuine suggestions.

My alarm system- DSC_0001_zps5bbaf3cb.jpg

Brought to me by http://www.cairn-rescue.co.uk/, WHERE Cairns looking for a forever  home with terrier knowledge are welcome. My alarm system senses anything entering my front garden or anything entering the rear garden, well before any atempt is made to enter/break in.

We have an ADT system which was installed by the previous owners. Wireless PIR and door sensors. Does the job and no false alarms. System is ours and we don't pay for monitoring. In my view joe crim wouldnt know if it was monitored or not. If the alarms go off they would scarper (or most likely not bother in the first place). If we were having one put in I would be looking at long term reliability and minimal disruption/rewiring (unless we were doing a rewire at the same time. If we were doing that then I'd think we would go the whole hog and get nest devices too - smokealarms and thermostats)

Well, I have to say a lot of alarm companies are just sh*te.

A local one came around, looked verbally gave prices, but never bothered to send a written quote, despite promising it.

Another didn't bother coming around and gave a price, promising to be competive, but wasn't

One came around, quoted a wireless only system when I said I'd like a quote for a wired system and wireless system

Found one who actually bothered, but I swear why does it have to be such hard work.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proper-Imitation-Solar-Alarm-Siren/dp/B00QQHYLEC/ref=sr_1_2/278-5208094-8641532?ie=UTF8&qid=1440600127&sr=8-2&keywords=dummy+house+alarm+box

Solar powered dummy alarm box.

You don't need it to work you just need it to be good enough to make the attacker choose to move onto another target.

Amazon also does dummy CCTV cameras too with derblinkinlights

We have an active box on the front of the house, and a dummy box on the rear. We still get scrotes jumping the wall at the rear and peering through the patio doors which sets off the alarm in the night. A dummy box wouldn't help there.