The Superb III Picture thread

Lovely colour. The shapes are nicely highlighted by the ambient lighting. Mine is black and doesn't show the shapes as well. Welcome to the club! 

New wheels (well I have them since around a year :D) to match the full black Sportline look together with 10mm spacers front/rear. Amazing how narrow the tracks on this car are, 10mm out and it still looks like it could be stock. Especially the rear could do with another 5mm easily but I didn't deliberately want to go flush. Ride height is stock Sportline with DCC and I was 50-50 about lowering. After the tracks were "corrected" I am now most probably abandoning the idea.

PS. A set of brand new 19" Black supernovas are for sale, the ad is going to be online as soon as I get some pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, newbie69 said:

New wheels (well I have them since around a year :D) to match the full black Sportline look together with 10mm spacers front/rear. Amazing how narrow the tracks on this car are, 10mm out and it still looks like it could be stock. Especially the rear could do with another 5mm easily but I didn't deliberately want to go flush. Ride height is stock Sportline with DCC and I was 50-50 about lowering. After the tracks were "corrected" I am now most probably abandoning the idea.

PS. A set of brand new 19" Black supernovas are for sale, the ad is going to be online as soon as I get some pics.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

TBH I liked the Supernova's more but it's your car.:thinking:

41 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

TBH I liked the Supernova's more but it's your car.:thinking:

Well we can't all like the same things! For me there were 3 issues with the Supernovas: The diamond cut edges were showing off too much on an otherwise subtle look, plus they were breaking the full black Sportline trim. Also I have an OCD with asymmetric designs on wheels. I am more after contemporary designs and the fact I owned a set of lightweight, 10 spoke rims in full black didn't help either :tongueout:.

The other reason behind sharing those pics was to show that this car can clearly use some spacers, no matter which wheels one goes for.

Edited by newbie69

17 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

Well we can't all like the same things! For me there were 3 issues with the Supernovas: The diamond cut edges were showing off too much on an otherwise subtle look, plus they were breaking the full black Sportline trim. Also I have an OCD with asymmetric designs on wheels. I am more after contemporary designs and the fact I owned a set of lightweight, 10 spoke rims in full black didn't help either :tongueout:.

The other reason behind sharing those pics was to show that this car can clearly use some spacers, no matter which wheels one goes for.

I totally understand anyone wishing to fit lightweight wheels (many known benefits) but how wide are the rims on these? I know you didn't want to go to the expense of buying more wheels but a 8.5J rim would have removed the need to go down the spacer route.:thinking:

11 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I totally understand anyone wishing to fit lightweight wheels (many known benefits) but how wide are the rims on these? I know you didn't want to go to the expense of buying more wheels but a 8.5J rim would have removed the need to go down the spacer route.:thinking:

As would less offset. (but difficult when you already have the wheels)

The only ‘issue’ I have with black wheels is you lose all the detail of an otherwise nice looking wheel, as these prove.

2 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

As would less offset. (but difficult when you already have the wheels)

The only ‘issue’ I have with black wheels is you lose all the detail of an otherwise nice looking wheel, as these prove.

Before your car looked classy and expensive but the new look for me cheapens the overall side profile look.:thinking:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

I'm not getting what's the problem with correct type, quality spacers like these Eibach hub-centric ones? They are not just drilled discs you know! And you wouldn't know they're on unless you looked for them, test drove the car yesterday at a range of speeds, feels the same as before.

Pretorias are 8J ET50. Supernovas are 8J ET44 so the new ones without spacers would be sitting an extra 6mm inside. compared to the already very narrow stock tracks.  A 8.5J ET45 would do the trick but I couldn't find another aftermarket alloy that I liked as much, at a reasonable cost (<1500 eur), and at a comparable weight at 19x8.5 that I needed, Prets weigh a mere 9.6kg mind you. Also, they are the default Clubsport S wheel, meaning quality is in check and they are a fully compatible wheel with all MQB cars.

So rather simple really. I had them, I liked them a lot and I couldn't find anything else ticking all the boxes so I went with them. 

• Thanks 1

And let me not even start on the trouble I went to make Skoda caps for them... VW puts 65mm caps on, Skoda 56mm :@  I hate cars with wheel caps of a different brand other than well... the own car's! so:

I bought a new set of original (not ebay) VW caps
I bought quality, self-adhesive hard plastic stickers of the Skoda badge of 65mm diameter

I thought put them on the caps and you're done, NOPE! VW just uses 65mm to annoy you it seems. The total diameter of the cap is 65mm but the actual badge diameter on the front face, the part that sticks out so to speak, is 59mm. So try attaching a 65mm cover to it and you're left with a stupid groove all around :@
Off I went to take exact measurements of this groove (height and diameter). Then drew the resulting ring in CAD at work and 3D printed it in black resin.

Result was like a factory fit fortunately and if you're not a VAG enthusiast, the wheels look as they are a Skoda option. The ring filled the gap between the sticker and the cap perfectly and I was finally happy to put them on, phewww....

Anyone ever going through this pain, send me a pm, I can help with item links and 3D models even!

Edited by newbie69

Aslong as you are happy with it. Thats all thay matters. I quite like it with the pretorias, but im also not a huge fan of the supernovas either lol.  Good job with the centre caps as well! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Adrian55555 said:

Aslong as you are happy with it. Thats all thay matters. I quite like it with the pretorias, but im also not a huge fan of the supernovas either lol.  Good job with the centre caps as well! 

That's more or less what I think too. There are probably a few other designs that I would equally like on this car, but currently they are either stupid expensive or not as lightweight.

The Pretorias' effect on the Superb, (for me) is definitely not as strong as it was on the MK7 where I wholeheartedly, undoubtedly believed the Pretorias are the best design that suits that car by far, BUT, as you say, I prefer them much more than Supernovas, and I had them at my disposal so they were an easy improvement. For now at least, but maybe that's not the end of the story...

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

And let me not even start on the trouble I went to make Skoda caps for them... VW puts 65mm caps on, Skoda 56mm :@  I hate cars with wheel caps of a different brand other than well... the own car's! so:

I bought a new set of original (not ebay) VW caps
I bought quality, self-adhesive hard plastic stickers of the Skoda badge of 65mm diameter

I thought put them on the caps and you're done, NOPE! VW just uses 65mm to annoy you it seems. The total diameter of the cap is 65mm but the actual badge diameter on the front face, the part that sticks out so to speak, is 59mm. So try attaching a 65mm cover to it and you're left with a stupid groove all around :@
Off I went to take exact measurements of this groove (height and diameter). Then drew the resulting ring in CAD at work and 3D printed it in black resin.

Result was like a factory fit fortunately and if you're not a VAG enthusiast, the wheels look as they are a Skoda option. The ring filled the gap between the sticker and the cap perfectly and I was finally happy to put them on, phewww....

Anyone ever going through this pain, send me a pm, I can help with item links and 3D models even!

Wow that explains why I have Audi centre caps on my 2 sets of Audi replica wheels, much easier.:sweat:

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newbie69 said:

That's more or less what I think too. There are probably a few other designs that I would equally like on this car, but currently they are either stupid expensive or not as lightweight.

The Pretorias' effect on the Superb, (for me) is definitely not as strong as it was on the MK7 where I wholeheartedly, undoubtedly believed the Pretorias are the best design that suits that car by far, BUT, as you say, I prefer them much more than Supernovas, and I had them at my disposal so they were an easy improvement. For now at least, but maybe that's not the end of the story...

Local guy has a white Golf R with 19" black Pretoria's and they really suit the Mk7 Golf IMHO.:thumbup:

Genuine Aldi wheels for winter tyres tried getting copy or even just blank centre caps was just too difficult.  But it also keep people confused as I have take the badging off the boot and they are not really sure what it is :smirk:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bud said:

Genuine Aldi wheels for winter tyres tried getting copy or even just blank centre caps was just too difficult.  But it also keep people confused as I have take the badging off the boot and they are not really sure what it is :smirk:

Some people get confused very easily. Because my LED headlights do the fancy dance thing when I fire up the beast, the local cashier in my Shell garage asked me if my Octavia was the new BMW 3 Series. My answer was "no it's faster than a BMW".:o

3 minutes ago, Bud said:

For the full German shopping experience...:D

Stop posting pics of Quartz grey Superbs. I can't sleep knowing there are cars looking like mine "to be" and I am checking this thread every 15 minutes :giggle:

Mine will be ready for pick up by the end of this week or start of next and I am eager to have it.

I will post pictures as soons as I take it from the detailing studio :inlove:

4 minutes ago, Don_Diego said:

Stop posting pics of Quartz grey Superbs. I can't sleep knowing there are cars looking like mine "to be" and I am checking this thread every 15 minutes :giggle:

Mine will be ready for pick up by the end of this week or start of next and I am eager to have it.

image.png.813623ae749b4d10e047cadf872dfc97.png

Sorry...:biggrin:

14 minutes ago, Don_Diego said:

No please don't all I can see when I close my eyes are Grey Superbs like the current weather in UK very dull.B)