Superb III TDI DSG 150 v 190

Has anyone out there driven both of these and make an informed comparison? I note from my Superb II archive brochure that the incoming 150 is basically the same performance as the outgoing 170. My dealer thinks there is negligible difference between the 150 and 190 - any comments please?

My budget can cope with either the 150 4WD or 190 2WD and I`m struggling to make up my mind...

In an ideal world I want the 150 with a remap (takes it to around 190) and this would give me the best of both worlds with lower BIK and good performance. Anyone had any experience with remaps and Skoda, either in terms of warranties, reliability etc?

Many thanks!

Welcome

My MKII Superb 170CR was mapped by Shark to 200BHP and 420Nm and the car was so much nicer to drive.

150 v’s 190??

I was thinking about this at the weekend:

150 (DSG) 340 Nm 0-62 = 8.6 seconds (9 seconds for the manual 4x4)

190 (DSG) 400 Nm 0 - 62 = 7.7 seconds

170 (MKII) 350 Nm 0 - 62 = 8.9 seconds

So on paper the the 150 and 170 are pretty evenly matched (helped by the MKIII going on a diet)

However the 150 4x4 is only available as a manual box.

The 190 and 150 are almost identical in terms of fuel consumption BUT the 190 uses Adblue.

Personally i will go for the 190... and remap it, so theoretically it will be 220 BHP and 470 Nm (ish)  :D

• Like 2

Prob get 197 bhp and 450nm with a remap, spoke to a lorry driver today he said if you run out of Adblu on his lorry it reduces power by 50%!

From a 150? thats a bit optimistic IMO

With VAG if you run out it just refuses to start.

• Like 1

I had a MK II 140PD remapped to 180 by Shark car had done 75k with no problems.

I have ordered a 150 and will remap it, I dont want the hassle of Adblu and not paying £2k extra for it!

You'll have to wait a while for the remap unless you want to void your warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to wait a while for the remap unless you want to void your warranty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you get a device that can switch remaps (e.g. ByteFlash) then how would they know if you switch it to the standard remap just before taking it into the garage?

If you get a device that can switch remaps (e.g. ByteFlash) then how would they know if you switch it to the standard remap just before taking it into the garage?

Because the change is stored in the ECU's memory. byteFlash and devices like these are a good idea for passing the MOT for example, but if you experience an engine problem and want to recall the warranty, the local dealer is going to investigate and therefore easily guess the engine has benn remapped.

Yep, i spoke to Skoda dealer, the only real issue is if there`s a ECU fault and it becomes a grey area. But Skoda cannot walk away from any other fault just becos the ECU has been remapped. I`ll let you know how I get on with test drive this w/e and if the 150 drives like the current 170...

(I found that remaps certainly give a more relaxed and enjoyable drive, but if you start driving real hard, it`s not that great. An 07 Mondeo started developing DMF vibration on hard acceleration and so i got shot of it as i guessed Ford and the 'remapper' would be difficult on principle..)

My view - don't 're-map'. Same with a PC - don't 'overclock'. What I do is actually buy the model I need with the power I want. Not start fiddling with less power to get it where I want. Just my opinion though - make of it what you will :)

My view - don't 're-map'. Same with a PC - don't 'overclock'. What I do is actually buy the model I need with the power I want. Not start fiddling with less power to get it where I want. Just my opinion though - make of it what you will :)

I partly agree, if you want the power of a 190 then do not buy a 150 and remap it to produce 190 BHP.

HOWEVER a car with a good remap is much more about how nicer they produce their power than just the extra few ponies they are pushing out.

• Like 2

Prob get 197 bhp and 450nm with a remap, spoke to a lorry driver today he said if you run out of Adblu on his lorry it reduces power by 50%!

I have been told by a dealer that if it is less than 100 or 10 miles I can't remember which one and you stop the car and do not refil with AdBlue it will not start until you do fill up with AdBlue.

What is the difference between the 150 and 190? Different sized turbo? Or is it purely a different OEM map?

Did I read something about a different exhaust arrangement on the 190?

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

What is the difference between the 150 and 190? Different sized turbo? Or is it purely a different OEM map?

Did I read something about a different exhaust arrangement on the 190?

Someone asked this very same question here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/359450-ea288-20tdi-150-vs-190 It was speculated that the 190 might even have a bigger turbo. No idea myself, just passing on info that I read.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Not an exact comparison but I have an Octavia 2.0 150 TDi and also a Mk7 Golf GTD with the 184 variant (which bar a slightly different map and AdBlue is much the same unit as the 190).

There isnt masses between the two in all honesty; but the 184 is of course more potent and makes for a quicker car. The thing I notice is the torque....the 150 feels a bit flat when revved past its mid range sweetspot by comparison...the 184 feels a fair bit more muscular. But on the road I dont think the Golf would leave the Octavia for dead if that makes sense.

The Octavia has a beam rear axle though so its circa 100kg lighter than the smaller Golf so that probably makes the margin a little smaller. The Golf does definitely have shorter gear ratios though which again will help its ability to accelerate quicker.

Superb for Superb id expect the 190 to be notably more pokey....but the 150 is a superb motor...leaps and bounds better than the older 150 that came before it and is way more than adequate for punting a car like the Superb along.

I actually reckon a 150 will hold its value better too.

Edited by pipsypreturns

I've recently moved from a manual 150 to a DSG 190 and it's been quite good so far and getting better as I learn more about the gearbox. The 190 engine is far superior...the extra makes a huge difference imho. I could always find the flat spots in the 150.

Edited by Sweetums