Yet another tyre thread.... best tyres for wear rate

OllieH

Need to get four tyres fitted, i thought i had decided on rainsport 3's but after going through some of the older threads they seem to get negative commetns on there wear rates. I have used them on a previous car and was really impressed but didnt have the car long so i didnt get chance to see how they lasted. Im looking at spending no more than £75 per tyre, which leaves me mid range with the likes or vredestein, hankook etc.

I commute 60 miles per day mainly motorway.

I had a front tyre wear issue with the fronts eating the inner edges but since replaced the lower ball joints, drop links and cupra bushes. It had kenda budgets on when i bought it (awful!).

Whats everyone else running? What milage should i expect?

Ive used khumos before but there seems to be some issue with uneven tyre wear? take it you didnt have those issues? Not really keen on Barums, had them on another car.

• Like 1

I dont think the Uniroyals RS tyres are that bad, to be honest, they certainly perform extremely well which is the main thing for me

They certainly don't have the terrible tyre noise issues of the Kumhos due to irregular wear, so if they do wear a bit more aggresively I'll happily pay that price given that they are more midrange pricing but offering premium performance.

• Like 2

I've had Kumhos on, not a bad tyre for the price but I've just switched to some Rainsport 3s and safe to say I don't think I'd have the Kumhos again. The Rainsports are worlds ahead in terms of grip and performance. 

In your case with a 60mile a day commute I'd go for something rated higher on the fuel efficiency side, this usually means less rolling resistance. I'd also look at getting the XL - Extra Load version of what ever tyres you decide to go for if available. Incidentally the Rainsports are rated a C for fuel efficiency and an A for grip so I'd short-list them for sure. Premium brand tyres don't always give better wear rates so bear that in mind. 

• Like 1

I buy cheapo new budget tyres, last pair £65.00 c/o E-Bay + £20 for fitting at tyre fitters, and they will match any brand name for mileage.

Approx 15,000 miles on front, 40,000 miles on rear, I don't swap tyres around.

Continental's brand for price comparison @ £120.00 each, I have bought in the past, as opposed to budget tyre @ £32.50 each.

It's whatever your happy with, and how you drive, and lastly how deep your pocket is..LOL

Considered going down a wheel size or two and saving money on tyres?

I get great wear on Michelin ecos on 14" wheels, but then it's a PD100. It's about 60 quid a corner fitted.

My local f1 autocentre always try to match or beat any price.

So when i told them i was after pair of goodyear efficient grip performance. 185/60 14 rating h.they beat the £45 pp tyre and charged 39.fully fitted!! Best a wet grip c fuel efficent

Looking at online prices for most tyres you cant seem to beat camskill

I have 4 x Hankook Ventus Evo's and they're very good for dry grip and seem to wear well, they're not as good in the wet as my Uniroyals but you simply can't have everything.

These are the ones I meant, not hand khumos.

Avoid cheap tyres, on the vrs atm I have Rotalla F105 £35 a corner, and are comical in the wet trying to put down 370 lbft. On the plus side the rubbers so hard they'll last forever.

These are the ones I meant, not hand khumos.

Avoid cheap tyres, on the vrs atm I have Rotalla F105 £35 a corner, and are comical in the wet trying to put down 370 lbft. On the plus side the rubbers so hard they'll last forever.

Someone/you put £35/corner tyres on a car with 6pots, LSD, paddle clutch etc etc? Madness!

My local f1 autocentre always try to match or beat any price.

So when i told them i was after pair of goodyear efficient grip performance. 185/60 14 rating h.they beat the £45 pp tyre and charged 39.fully fitted!! Best a wet grip c fuel efficent

Looking at online prices for most tyres you cant seem to beat camskill

£39 fitted is theft!

I've given up buying tyres online. I use to do it with my Alfa because it was hard to find Vreds, but usually I find it's £15 to get tyres fitted in a decent place, many places won't touch them, and there's the odd slightly dodgy place that charges just a tenner. But it's not worth the hassle of collecting tyres from courier depot and then finding someone to fit.

• Like 1

£39 fitted is theft!

I've given up buying tyres online. I use to do it with my Alfa because it was hard to find Vreds, but usually I find it's £15 to get tyres fitted in a decent place, many places won't touch them, and there's the odd slightly dodgy place that charges just a tenner. But it's not worth the hassle of collecting tyres from courier depot and then finding someone to fit.

Found my local 'good' place (as in one I'd take alloys to) had decided to up the fitting to £15, this is despite a: no disposal b: I'd be taking the WHEELs to them not the car! No movement at all. Still would have been cheaper to buy the tyres online and take them in compared to their prices though.

Found another place around 9 miles from work that will do them for £10 and has been used by a very fussy forum member, so they will be going there instead.

£39 fitted is theft!

It may be theft.

But they can obviously still make bit of profit otherwise they would tell me to do one.or get dodgy cheapos fitted which aint gona happen!.

Its who you know.not what you know for good deals.

Competitive world

Thanks for the replays everyone, always can count on this club! I'm going to be getting them fitted at Bram racing in Wakefield, they are somewhere that actuallyl know how to do wheel alignment properly with the hunter machine. Nice setup, you get to watch your car on various cameras as the works done.

They can supply the tyres and have given me a choice of rainsports @£75.50 in 83Y or Vredestein 87w not sure on the model at @£71.

Think it will be rainsports then and see how they fare seeing as winter is coming!

Thanks for the replays everyone, always can count on this club! I'm going to be getting them fitted at Bram racing in Wakefield, they are somewhere that actuallyl know how to do wheel alignment properly with the hunter machine. Nice setup, you get to watch your car on various cameras as the works done.

They can supply the tyres and have given me a choice of rainsports @£75.50 in 83Y or Vredestein 87w not sure on the model at @£71.

Think it will be rainsports then and see how they fare seeing as winter is coming!

Think that could be good choice.as winter sets in the softer tyre with that tread pattern should benefit you.rs3

• Like 1

Previous owner did. I'm in the process of getting some sport contact 5's. Even on these tyres it out handles proper hot hatches. Just the wet were it gets a bit hairy lol.

having a similarly modded mk4 Ibiza TDI I reckon it's more down to your willingness than the Fabia out handling them. I did have someone in a rush try to follow me into, around and out of a roundabout the other though, that was funny :)

having done a 60 mile drive to work, I'd just suck up the high wear rate of the better gripping tyres myself. and make sure to check pressures and wear regularly :-/

Or just go and poke around under your car and stand in the way of the beams like I did :p

Another one in the £15/corner camp too, if they were not I'd probably trek over there for fitting.

• Like 1

+1 for Uniroyal RainSport 3 (195/50/15). Mine are 3 months old and they have done 4000miles. IMHO, they do offer perfect grip and excelent handling. After fitting them my fuel consumption has got a bit better and there are no wear signs. 

I have just done 24k miles in 11 months on a set of RS3's, including 4 laps of the 'ring in June. Generally very good tyre, wear rate excellent but the 'ring finished them off. They do have soft side walls as most on the tinterweb say; this affected the handling - they were squeely and too soft even with 36psi in them. Got hankook V12 evo's now (albeit bigger tyre) and they seem much better grip wise, not sure on the wet handling capability yet. 

• Like 1