Anyone tried Michelin Cross Climate tyres?

I'm having the same Nokian / Hankook dilemma at the moment. Options still very limited in this size. Did you opt for one of these?

I've not gone for any yet..... It would be next winter before i considered any at the earliest as all four of my tyres are within 18 months old at the moment. I also have a pair of snow socks in case i ever need to use the car in snow so not a high priority for me at present.

why only the speed rating is different & that can be adjusted in the maxi dot

Mixing 'winters' on one axle with 'summer' or 'all weather' tyres on the other results in you having totally different braking, handling and traction characteristics between your axles. Contact any tyre or car manufacturer and you'll see it's not recommended.

Also, try phoning your insurance company and explaining this is what you want to do and see how they react.

In addition, let's assume you were in an accident and because there was a serious injury or fatality, the police inspected all vehicles involved. In this condition they could find your vehicle unroadworthy. Your insurance would be invalidated and you could be facing anything up to manslaughter charges and a prison sentence.

This isn't myth, I personally know of one case where a father lost children in an accident and was then prosecuted and sent to prison after the police said that the vehicles tyre combinations and suspension modifications had made the vehicle unroadworthy and were therefore a contributory factor to the incident. It was sad enough to lose some of his children, but this was compounded by him losing his marriage, his income, and gaining a criminal record.

Just making you aware of the implications, ultimately it's your choice.

• Like 1

That test is not objective! These pictures + movies are straight from Michelins press publication, so don't pay too much attention to them. The German magazine Autobild has tested them better (in 195/65R15). Their results can be found (in English) here.

That test is not objective! These pictures + movies are straight from Michelins press publication, so don't pay too much attention to them. The German magazine Autobild has tested them better (in 195/65R15). Their results can be found (in English) here.

Thanks , mentioned further up in this thread - the Vector 4 next gens look good - but it's close. I've also had a flirt with the Quatrac 5's - impressive - but I then changed cars

PS impressive fuel consumption for a 1.8tsi  - . Can I ask what rpm do you do at 70mph?

Shall we way 110 km/h or 100km/h - I can calculate from there.

My 1.4tsi  does about 2000rpm at 95 kmh and is very relaxed and refined at motorway speeds - I would imagine the 1.8tsi must be sublime. 

I bought my tsi because is was really good value but have found my journey to work suits the car. Its a long journey but slowish - I was worried I might have DPF problems with the diesel versions and they were many £1000's more

Edited by bigjohn

I watched a tyre comparison of 6 all-year-tyres on a German car program. They used Audi A4 and Golf. They tested a Nokian, uniroyal, Goodyear, Vredestein  and 2 lower range all-seasons.

They stated that the top ones would do about 40000 miles down to 4mm tread and you could save about €500 over this tyre life compared to changing tyres twice a year. They were also very surprised how good they were on snow and wet road in comparison to full time winter tyres, BUT the performance on DRY road of even the best - Nokian All Weather + - was terrible!!

Breaking from 60-0 MpH with a summer tyre was 35.9m. With the best All-season it took a whole 9 meters - 2 car lengths - more.

I watched a tyre comparison of 6 all-year-tyres on a German car program. They used Audi A4 and Golf. They tested a Nokian, uniroyal, Goodyear, Vredestein  and 2 lower range all-seasons.

They stated that the top ones would do about 40000 miles down to 4mm tread and you could save about €500 over this tyre life compared to changing tyres twice a year. They were also very surprised how good they were on snow and wet road in comparison to full time winter tyres, BUT the performance on DRY road of even the best - Nokian All Weather + - was terrible!!

Breaking from 60-0 MpH with a summer tyre was 35.9m. With the best All-season it took a whole 9 meters - 2 car lengths - more.

Thats why I asked about the the Michelin Cross Climates as they are summer tyres re-designed to cope better with winter weather. All the other all-seasons are winter tyres modified to cope with any weather use. It's a shame the Michelin's weren't part of that test. I've seen a report that the majority of your driving will be in the dry. I have a horrible and dangerous (sometimes) commute but would struggle to store a set of winter wheels and when do you pick the change over date!

On balance some of the reviews linked to in this thread were close (one where the Goodyear & Michelin were close but the Goodyear Vector 4 won - just). I think I'll give a set a go when I've scrubbed a bit more off the original Continentals (21k miles and still over 6.5mm - wow!)

Edited by bigjohn

• 5 months later...

Hi all,

I was trying to obtain Nokian Weatherproofs for my 2015 Citigo Elegance (175 x 65 x R14's), but the nearest distributor is some 100+ miles away, & over 2 hours drive, as they're lousy roads to there.

So I admitted defeat, & decided that I'd buy the new Michelin CrossClimates instead.    I managed to contact Michelin's Enquiry Site (with an extremely friendly & helpful guy) who confirmed that CrossClimates in my required size were now "on the general market".

Tried a number of Tyre Factors, but all of them (every last one) claimed that although the tyres may definitely  be "out there", the wholesalers that they all seem to buy from, haven't got stocks for these smaller wheels, in yet.

It could be around another one month before the tyres are on general availability, so I suppose that I'll just have to wait.      Fortunately, I've only done around 4.5k on the factory-fitted Conti Premiums 2E's, but I'm sure that these tyres were fitted "down to a price", & they don't rate too highly in most of the reviews, & I want the latest technology - especially for both wet & dry grip: comfort & quietness, & I'm prepared to pay for them.  However, it appears that the tyre manufacturers (sensible, if somewhat frustrating) release their new tyres in the larger sizes, where the demand is greater. 

Could be regarded as discrimination against "the little people" amongst us?

There was a time when life was so simple, but in those days perhaps, we didn't have access to all the latest info (reviews of tyres etc) that's now available, so we took whatever some grease-stained tyre fitter recommended..

Edited by Michaelski

Have you tried Blackcircles website for your crossclimates?

They will deliver to an approved fitter near to you for a very competitive inclusive price.

Edited by bilun777

Thanks for that, bilun777, if all else fails (& it does sound possibly likely) then I may have to actually go down that particular route - although I'll have to run the notion past my Tyre Factor first., & see if they're totally happy with the idea..                In all honesty, I DID NOT want to: in my ignorance, I had blithely assumed that I could trundle in to a Tyre Factor: casually say "fit 4 x whatevers to my car": shell out a fistful of gold, & exit Stage Left (or possibly Stage Right), completely happy - albeit "skint".  

If I went down the route of fitting 4 tyres that I DO NOT really want, then Plan A (as stated above) would do.  But I want Michelin CrossClimates (having binned my first dream of Nokian Weatherproofs) & if I have to wait, then I'll wait.    I've even told the T.F. that I would happily/unhappily shell out the moulah upfront, if that would help them to obtain the Michelins, & in all fairness to them, they do seem that they want my business (aka my coin of the realm) & if their current supplier can't produce the tyres, then they'll try someone else.   End of Commercial Break!

Mind you, even though initially I had my little heart set on the Nokians, I have seen a website with reviews  from other Nokia customers, and not all of them were head over heels with joy - it appears that Nokia have set up a new factory in the good ole USS of R, & they complain that the quality control is nowhere as high as the original Finnish factory.    But unless the new factory stamps all of its tyres with little Hammer & Sickles, how would they know where the tyres were made?

Sigh, life used to be SO simple!

Hi again, bilun777.  I've just logged into Blackcircles, but although they do "do" both Nokian & Michelin, they don't appear to offer the particular tyres that I wanted - Nokian Weatherproofs or Michy CrossClimates.

They do offer plenty of other tyres, & in truth, their prices do seem to be very competitive,  but they just don't not have not wot I wanted.

So, back to the Drawing Board.

Forgot to add: my friendly Tyre Fitter told me in passing, that Goodyear had only very recently introduced a Generation 3 to their Vector 4 Seasons tyres, but NO point in me getting excited about them, as even if it's true, & aforesaid FTF has indeed access to privileged information, as sure as eggs have little lions, I won't be able to put my hands on the diddy size that I require.

So, I'll have to pin my hopes on the FTF managing to somehow source some CrossClimates.  But is just goes to show how the tyre manufacturers are continually "upping their game".

Edited by Michaelski
  • Like 1

Forgot to add: my friendly Tyre Fitter told me in passing, that Goodyear had only very recently introduced a Generation 3 to their Vector 4 Seasons tyres, but NO point in me getting excited about them, as even if it's true, & aforesaid FTF has indeed access to privileged information, as sure as eggs have little lions, I won't be able to put my hands on the diddy size that I require.

So, I'll have to pin my hopes on the FTF managing to somehow source some CrossClimates.  But is just goes to show how the tyre manufacturers are continually "upping their game".

What about Uniroyal AllSeason Expert for £177 for 4 delivered to your house and get your tyre guy to fit them for about £10 a corner.

I have Uniroyal rainsport 3 on my C class  and love them and getting them fitted to my Superb

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7975p131875/Uniroyal_Tyres_All_Season_Car_Uniroyal_AllSeason_Expert_Uniroyal_All_Season_Expert_-_175_65_R14_82T_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_F_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_71dB

Edited by DEL80Y

Hi DEL80Y & VMT for that.

I just wish that I'd heard from you sooner, as the Uniroyals do indeed seem to be the las cojones de perro & appear to be precisely what I'm looking for.   But as I've given my word to my friendly Tyre Fitter to buy the CrossClimates (always assuming that aforesaid FTF can put his dirty little donnies on them) then (as they say in masochistic circles), "my word is my bondage".

But if FTF CAN't obtain the Michelins, and he can easily get the Rainsports, then I'll go for them.

Watch this space, & thanks again................

Hi DEL80Y & VMT for that.

I just wish that I'd heard from you sooner, as the Uniroyals do indeed seem to be the las cojones de perro & appear to be precisely what I'm looking for.   But as I've given my word to my friendly Tyre Fitter to buy the CrossClimates (always assuming that aforesaid FTF can put his dirty little donnies on them) then (as they say in masochistic circles), "my word is my bondage".

But if FTF CAN't obtain the Michelins, and he can easily get the Rainsports, then I'll go for them.

Watch this space, & thanks again................

The 1s I was showing you are "All Season Expert" not Rainsports as they are for far larger wheel rim sizes.

What about Bridgestones Weather Control A001s?? The choice go on....and only £168 delivered

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?show=110915

What are you looking for in the tyre? because you can list 4 comparisons side by side on that website.

Just select what 4 tyres you are looking at at the bottom of the page..

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m137b0s7975p0/All_Season_-_Four_Season_-_All_Weather_-_Car_MPV_Tyres_-_14_inch_R14_inch_-_175_65_14_175_65R14

I have looked online and phoned 3 of my suppliers and they can not source or give me a time for Michelin crossclimates in your size :notme:

Hi again, bilun777.  I've just logged into Blackcircles, but although they do "do" both Nokian & Michelin, they don't appear to offer the particular tyres that I wanted - Nokian Weatherproofs or Michy CrossClimates.

They do offer plenty of other tyres, & in truth, their prices do seem to be very competitive,  but they just don't not have not wot I wanted.

So, back to the Drawing Board.

that's odd, black circles is where I bought mine from. 

You could also try costco if you have one of them near you. 

Thanks guys for your suggestions, I'm very appreciative.

It "appears" that although Michelin have made, & released their CrossClimates to fit a Citigo, they're not universally available yet - which basically means that the major tyre wholesalers haven't yet stocked up, because the market for the smaller wheel sizes (as applies to most City cars) isn't as big as for the next size of cars up.   More of a market for Golfs & equivalent cars, than for the mini end of the market, like wot I have.

And to DEL80Y, my current tyres (Continental 2E's) haven't given me any anus-clenching moments yet, but there again, I DO always tend to drive within sensible limits.  It's just that I can do better than the tyres fitted - after all, if one buys a car built-down to a budget, like a Citigo (even the Elegance model), then although the tyres may be totally adequate for purpose, they're certainly not going to be state-of-the-art, & that's what I want: OPTIMUM road holding & braking in both the wet & the dry & as comfortable (ie quiet) as possible.  I'm not so much bothered about how long they'll last for, as I always change when down to a minimum of 3mms anyway - I prefer not to take chances, just for the sake of a few lousy quid.      For the sake of having what I'd ideally like, I'm binning my Continentals, even though they've only done 4.5k from new.

Apart from anything else, it's a "man thing" - when you want something, you just gotta have it.

Had my 16 inch on for 18K, put hen on in November, brilliant in snow ice and wet and dry, nice and quiet also, still 5 mil left on the tread as of yesterday

• Like 1

Continentals are a Premium tyre no where near a budget tyre

You are throwing good money away getting rid of them..    (DEL80Y)

Possibly (perhaps even doubtless) so, DEL80Y, but at the moment, that's my intention, & for the following reasons!

I've checked a whole shedload of independent tyre reviewers, & whilst the Continentals that I have, haven't been totally slated from dawn to dusk, they haven't had praise of their capabilities lavished on them either, & that seemed to be the universal view – apparently even in the view of Continental themselves, as they’ve now upped their game  from offering the Premium 2’s that are fitted to my car, to Premium 5’s.     E2’s are an “adequate” tyre, but that’s said it all.

I don't tear-arse around corners, & I never push tyres to their limits either, but I acknowledge that from time to time, THERE WILL be occasions when I have to drive in diabolical road conditions, & THERE WILL be times when I have to do an emergency Stop in the same conditions.   If I can minimize the chances that I’ll have to take, by shelling out just a few quid on better tyres, then I’m prepared to do it.     If I was contemplating spending a lot of shekels on purely “cosmetic” items for the car (bigger/shinier Alloys or Go Faster Stripes etc) then I’d be the first to agree that I was probably  throwing away good money.       However, THERE ARE motorists out there who will more than happily spend a lot more than what a new set of Premium tyres would cost, on purely cosmetic additions to their car – but that’s their prerogative, & if it makes them happy, so be it – it is, after all, their money.

I am also  ACUTELY conscious that if one buys a "budget" car, then, & irrespective of some of the ultra-modern technology in them, THEY ARE actually built down to a price, & fair enough so, in my opinion: where cars are concerned, you pays your money, & you takes your choice.

I bought the Citigo because I wanted to downsize, & I happened to like the Citigo more than all the other City cars that are out there on the market.

IMHO, the Citigo is indeed  a cracking little car, & two of the kids have since taken my recommendation, & bought one for themselves.      BUT, when a car is built down to a price, one has to accept that as part of that cost-cutting, one is also NOT going to get state-of-the-art tyres, or brakes, etc – as witnessed  by even the top-of-the-range Elegance models - no light in the boot: bare paintwork in the cabin: no soundproofing in the wheel arches: nasty hard plastics: cheap-and-cheerful pop-out rear windows: “budget”, albeit basic headlight bulbs etc etc etc.      Even the spare wheel that I paid extra for, was a cheap and not-so-cheerful Falken, & in one of the kid’s case, their car came with acceptable (if not the best quality ) Hankooks fitted, but with an outdated  Continental E2 as the spare – and that little “extra” cost over £160!!!      I think that where tyres are concerned with Skoda cars, a buyer is going to receive acceptable tyres, but nothing more than that,  and perhaps some 95% of Skoda buyers will be more than happy with that creed – I just happen to fall in the other 5%.

What is fitted to the Citigo does the job, and probably well enough in general terms, but I want better – especially as the tyres are concerned, & I’m happy enough to shell out the few quid to give me that peace of mind.