Not so bad!

Well, had the spaceback 1.2 tsi sport for 3 months now and am happy with it. Just returned from Wales, driven a total of 1000 miles over a week and got 48 mpg going & 50 on return. I found the driving experience much more exhilarating than my previous mk2 fabia elegance 1.9tdi estate with power enough to pass most traffic on the long hills. Great fun on the twisty bits too. Sure, one or two luxury touch's have been skimped but overall my experience is positive.

• Like 1

The price, the fuel economy, family sized car,

I'm for one, can't complain.

I had the base model, I bought solely for fuel economy. (SEAT toledo, more stuff, less cash,)

Then I wanted a bit more, and got the se model, which was ok, but not overwhelming.

Then, the itech, was just the se with different alloys and half leather.

Now I have the style advance, and it is far far better than the other models. And is only a few grand more expensive.

Edited by derek666
  • Like 2

And is only a few grand more expensive.

...a few grand???

and that's a deal breaker for nearly everyone.

its an old-tech cheap car based on the Polo and Jurassic versions of the Golf (Mk 4)

I like mine a lot, but it was only worth what I paid and not a penny more (certainly not the 4k more list price at the time, or the 7k more list prices are at now)

• Like 2

I buy new cars at least every third month (taxi company),

And bang for the buck, the toledo wins hands down. Yes, they have there faults, but for running costs, size and lastability, you can't even compare them to anything else.

It was the same with the Octavia when they first came out.

I do see however, the cost of these slowly rising as they get more and more sold.

Why d'you think I bought one?

It was the biggest bargain on the internet the month I went car shopping.  :yes:

So reasons for buying:

1. Price

2. Standard Kit

3. Looks

4. How it drives

5. Space

6. Price Again

I think the owners on here who bitch about it probably paid way too much and then end up comparing it with the more modern, or better quality, cars they could have had for the same money.

Its a cheap car, so I bought it as cheap as I could :)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 3

Certainly provoked some discussion, but general consensus seems to be "not so bad", especially if bought at the right price :thumbup:

Last tank also returned the best ever fuel economy - 45.8 mpg (over 500 miles on ~50 litres of unleaded)

I have retired as of Friday past and now down to one car (sold Kia Ceed today) i.e. my Rapid 1.4TSI DSG. 

Did a 100 mile round trip today at 70mph and averaged 52.5 MPG

I will settle for that (considering VAG group revelations today about their lying diesels software)

Edited by Bidey

Amazing mpg.

It seems the EU figures for this car are very misleading.  The 105 should be the most economic but it seems to get beaten by the 86 and the 122 in the real world.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

By way of an update - the subject of this thread was traded in (after ~17K miles / 18 months) and replaced with another Rapid - a late 2014 Spaceback 1.2 TSi (105 BHP).

The boot is obviously considerably smaller on the spaceback, but other than that the newer car drives a bit better (? suspension / steering updates) and has a bit more kit (Satnav/ DAB etc).

The spaceback is very much in the same vein as the hatch - built to a price, reasonably economical and compares favourably with the competition - i.e. "not so bad!"

It serves a purpose and I'm grateful to have avoided the issues others on here have suffered with their Rapid's.

Incidentally my old car was sold (by the local main dealer) within 2 weeks for £7700. I'd received £5500 in part-ex for it (required new tyres, a service and a rear door repair / repaint).

Edited by pinkpanther

I'm pleased with mine.  1.2 TSI Elegance purchased August 2014 from main dealer with 12,500 on the clock.  Haven't spent a penny aside from routine servicing and a brake fluid change.  Mileage now about to hit 40,000 and I'm still on the original Dunlop tyres.  The fronts are still legal (will be replacing before winter), while the rears have thousands of miles left in them.  I've measured my fuel consumption for every tank over the last two years, and am averaging a little over 50mpg.  I always fill it to the brim and refuel soon after the low fuel warning light comes on.  Between filling and the light coming on I usually get circa 500 miles (the best being 531).

Door seals weren't modified, and I have on two occasions had to pull the rubbers back to let a bit of water out after heavy wind-driven rain.  The suspension can be a bit creaky and squeaky on poor roads, but in general, the car has been a pleasure to own.  Will keep it for another year to 18 months.

• Like 1

I have had my Spaceback for 2 1/2 years and done nearly 41,000 miles.

It has been trouble free apart from the doors filling with water. The seals have now been modified (butchered). 

I did find the seats a bit uncomfortable on a long journey but with time they have softened a bit.

I drive with a light foot so can achieve an 'indicated' 59mpg on a long journey. Having done brim to brim tests my display reads about 2mpg high.

Overall, happy, but would like something with seats a bit higher. I am 6 months away from the end of my finance deal so am now looking around. I suspect there will not be much value to put towards the next car.

Really happy with mine, now up to 26,000 miles, and not had any signiifcant issues.

The Cambridge Vindis Skoda dealership looks after me well, as they did for my Octavia before.

The car easily tows our Eriba Puck caravan, comfortably covers daily 25 mile motorway commuting, and the extra legroom in the back is much appreciated by rear passengers.

Flexible boot and split rear seat handles most eventualities, and our Jack Russell has a permanent basket.

Cheap to insure, service, tax and great fuel economy.

All in all, one of the better cars I've owned.

I have only one issue really - what's happening about the diesel engine upgrade (all gone a bit quiet from my side).

Hope others have had good experiences, and I've found the forum really helpful (thanks Chris et al).

Thanks...

• Like 1

Had my1.6dti 90 spaceback now for 16 months and have added 17,000 miles onto the 13,500 that it had when I bought it. No real problems apart from water in doors and a couple of niggles that might mean nothing but which I wanted checking out. Very please with it especially for the money. Has used no oil so far (its predecessor, a 1.4 golf needed a litre or so of oil every 1200 - 1500 miles), the 1.6tdi pulls well in the midrange, its very easy to drive and more recently I've found it pulls a 2-berth Bailey caravan with very little effort - all that torque I expect! AND a proper spare wheel, had I paid extra for that I would be getting most of the dosh back soon when replacing worn tyres - apart from the lack of fuss when I had a puncture 3 weeks after collecting the car!

Driving with a light right foot I can show 70+ mpg on the display, 50+ around town, these are about 5% optimistic. Proper measurement shows avg of 53mpg, most of the time the car is around town with the wife driving, she has a heavier right foot than me. It gets a good run every couple of weeks or so tokep things running sweetly.

Overall pleased with the purchase.

Had a service yesterday - last one under warranty - and apart from the secrecy about service items, and the cost, I'm now inundated with emails, texts and calls to add to the pile of bits of paper the dealer gave me, with questions like "is it all OK?" and even a video of the mechanic checking the tyres!

BTW just what is the mod for the rear door seals - I can't see anything different about mine?

Had my1.6dti 90 spaceback now for 16 months and have added 17,000 miles onto the 13,500 that it had when I bought it. No real problems apart from water in doors and a couple of niggles that might mean nothing but which I wanted checking out. Very please with it especially for the money. Has used no oil so far (its predecessor, a 1.4 golf needed a litre or so of oil every 1200 - 1500 miles), the 1.6tdi pulls well in the midrange, its very easy to drive and more recently I've found it pulls a 2-berth Bailey caravan with very little effort - all that torque I expect! AND a proper spare wheel, had I paid extra for that I would be getting most of the dosh back soon when replacing worn tyres - apart from the lack of fuss when I had a puncture 3 weeks after collecting the car!

Driving with a light right foot I can show 70+ mpg on the display, 50+ around town, these are about 5% optimistic. Proper measurement shows avg of 53mpg, most of the time the car is around town with the wife driving, she has a heavier right foot than me. It gets a good run every couple of weeks or so tokep things running sweetly.

Overall pleased with the purchase.

Had a service yesterday - last one under warranty - and apart from the secrecy about service items, and the cost, I'm now inundated with emails, texts and calls to add to the pile of bits of paper the dealer gave me, with questions like "is it all OK?" and even a video of the mechanic checking the tyres!

BTW just what is the mod for the rear door seals - I can't see anything different about mine?

I understand a "slot" is cut in the door seal, in order to allow the drains in the bottom of the doors to empty unimpeded.

Mine haven't been modified (late 2014 car), but I'm yet to have any issues with water collecting in the rear doors - I'm probably tempting fate and will no doubt find the doors full to the brim!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Recently replaced or 14 plate Spaceback TSI for a 15 plate Toledo TDI, so gone the other way in terms of boot length. Went with the Seat as the Toledo was slightly cheaper on the forecourt over an equivalent notchback Rapid and even more so over a Spaceback, plus the Seat dealer was nearly 2k more generous on the P/X value of the Spaceback compared to a couple of Skoda dealers I tried.

Our Toledo being a MY15 car is on 16" rims instead of the 17" I had before (MY16 gets the bigger rims) and certainly the ride is softer but conversely the handling is not quite as sharp as the Spaceback. However build quality appears slightly better on the later Seat and there is more standard kit than that offered by Skoda, such as hill hold (useful on the Wolds), rear arm rest/ski hatch and alcantara seat coverings; find these very comfy seats personally.

The main bonus for me however is the much improved economy of the TDI 105 over the TSI 105 for the up and down dale commute  to my new job; those hill climbs were putting a real dent in petrol consumption compared to the diesel.

Also pleased our car being a 2015 model has the now standardised TPM, as it gave me plenty of warning the other day of a front off-side nail puncture which enabled me to get it to a fitters well before it went flat.

TP

Edited by The Plumber

Due to changing work conditions, it is now me rather than the wife who gets to take the car to work (yep, I lodt that draw when we first bought the car).

Still very pleased with the car and the 1,2 tsi 105. Getting approx. 48 mpg, which I'm pretty happy with considering I have the climate control on all the time!

Nice to see positive comments.

I have done 65k in my 2014 elegance.

It is with out doubt the worst car I have owned in 20 years of company car driving.

Can't wait for it to go back shortly.

for 65k miles in 2 years, i dont blame you for saying its the worst car... in my option the rapid is not a 30k + mile per year type of car.

Edited by RickTT

for 65k miles in 2 years, i dont blame you for saying its the worst car... in my option the rapid is not a 30k + mile per year type of car.

You are right. Although most of the issues have been there since day 1.