The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

59 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

See, I'd say that was 50/50 on where there were entries, and you were maybe both going too fast based on the argument that on single track you should be able to stop in half the distance you can see clear.

I could though and without any use of ABS etc more than comfortably, but before coming to a stop as he was unable to, I had to stop braking as I needed to put both nearside wheels on soft verge and maintain as much control as possible, but if I stopped he would have had to hit me head on or go through hedge and take his chances with the concrete gate posts, galvanised gate and telegraph pole). Had I initiated a full emergency brake I would have stopped in much less than half of what was clear. That would have left me stopped where he had only the rising bank straight into the concrete post to go or square on into me. At the point he passes me his O/S wheels are dead centre of the road and my wider vehicle has therefore had to go even further to the nearside, he is braking throughout and at the point he moves onto the grass looses a lot of his braking ability and even snaps the steering wheel at last second, I arrested braking to maintain momentum at a sub walking pace, so I have the ability to move over as far as possible. My initial intention was just to come to a controlled stop and reverse for him like the utter legend I am, but he was travelling easily in excess of 50mph because he 'knows that road' so well, I was doing 35mph. Idiots like that have accidents on those roads fairly frequently, buses and lorries have to use those roads too, if I was in my old oil tanker, he would have had big problems and needed the ambulance and fire engine to come from the same direction as he did. I would have just switched over to POA. 

Edited by FUBAR
  • Like 1

On 02/03/2017 at 09:51, FUBAR said:

I could though and without any use of ABS etc more than comfortably, but before coming to a stop as he was unable to, I had to stop braking as I needed to put both nearside wheels on soft verge and maintain as much control as possible, but if I stopped he would have had to hit me head on or go through hedge and take his chances with the concrete gate posts, galvanised gate and telegraph pole). Had I initiated a full emergency brake I would have stopped in much less than half of what was clear. That would have left me stopped where he had only the rising bank straight into the concrete post to go or square on into me. At the point he passes me his O/S wheels are dead centre of the road and my wider vehicle has therefore had to go even further to the nearside, he is braking throughout and at the point he moves onto the grass looses a lot of his braking ability and even snaps the steering wheel at last second, I arrested braking to maintain momentum at a sub walking pace, so I have the ability to move over as far as possible. My initial intention was just to come to a controlled stop and reverse for him like the utter legend I am, but he was travelling easily in excess of 50mph because he 'knows that road' so well, I was doing 35mph. Idiots like that have accidents on those roads fairly frequently, buses and lorries have to use those roads too, if I was in my old oil tanker, he would have had big problems and needed the ambulance and fire engine to come from the same direction as he did. I would have just switched over to POA. 

Looking at that I feel Ken's comment was sound. You were doing 35 mph round a blind crested left hand bend.:wondering:

You can see the vanishing point and the cues from about 5secs probably more in real vision.  Your first view of the car is at 13 secs, your point of safety, the driveway and gate should have been achievable as you couldn't see around and over the crests and should have been going slow enough to concede a little space.

As a biker and cyclist I know there is no point professing that my actions were correct when I'm sat on my arse in the road.  I always ask, could I have acted differently to assure my safety?

I would say you were both very lucky.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bud said:

Looking at that I feel Ken's comment was sound. You were doing 35 mph round a blind crested left hand bend.:wondering:

You can see the vanishing point and the cues from about 5secs probably more in real vision.  Your first view of the car is at 13 secs, your point of safety, the driveway and gate should have been achievable as you couldn't see around and over the crests and should have been going slow enough to concede a little space.

As a biker and cyclist I know there is no point professing that my actions were correct when I'm sat on my arse in the road.  I always ask, could I have acted differently to assure my safety?

I would say you were both very lucky.

As I mentioned, cameras location is bottom corner of windscreen and I should add that it is angled heavily to the left to allow a roughly central aperture (if I point it straight it looks like im driving half in a hedge). I am around 3 feet higher with or course a wider / further field of vision and as we all know camera footage makes things appear further away than they are in reality. The suggested drive (closed private entrance) on left (at the point car is visible in clip) is half as wide as my vehicle is long and my road positioning is to right of lane to achieve maximum forward visibility and equally to oncoming vehicle,  leaving the suggested option being an emergency stop upon seeing another vehicle instantaneously and parking a vehicle over 7 meters long in a 3 - 3.5 meter space which is only about 2 meters in front of the vehicle and 1.5 meters to the near side in 0.5 of a second (13 - 13.5 seconds in video). If I was kamakazi enough to attempt such an endeavourr, I'd end up with only the front of my vehicle at a shallow angle nose first into the entrance and rear in the narrow carriageway. Even if this was feasible, would not afford enough space for the vehicle to pass and sacrifice all control I have over the situation as it unfolds.

It's hard to convey true context in a short clip where the start to finish event is sub 3 seconds. The main things to point out here, is I am not accelerating into this initially as covering the service brake. I have the speed limiter set to 35mph on vehicle, this is 33.5mph on GPS (it differs between 33 & 34mph so I am taking the mean average) and having already crested a slight incline not under acceleration with steering input causing additional rolling resistance, so not over this speed. Upon seeing the vehicle my immediate response with the surroundings is that I will likely need to bring the vehicle to a controlled stop. It is however quickly apparent that the oncoming vehicles rate of speed is too high and this will not work due to their speed and not mine (he slams on and appears to activate his ABS momentarily). I am more than able to stop in a timely controlled manor prior to meeting someone travelling much faster, but by keeping my last remaining practical momentum I retain the ability to steer left and with such proximity he left, steer right as he passed so he didn't hit the rear half of my vehicle. Both actions required were in avoidance to a likely collision. He is still travelling at around 20mph while passing partially on the hard standing under braking with a course taking him directly toward a series of hard road furniture because he couldn't even reduce his speed enough let alone stop when faced with a vehicle travelling substantially slower, which with it's height visible even earlier than my view of him. Speed can always be reduced and it can come down to a fine line between progress and stupidity. Everything is purely a calculation of risk and how an individual chooses to manage it. Had I been in a tractor doing 20mph maybe, just maybe he might have managed to get stopped dead before he got himself monster trucked without the possibility of enough space to pass. Had he been travelling 5mph faster, it could have been bad, had I been travelling 5mph faster, I'd still have been able to stop though he may have made a bigger mess on his seat. 

Oh that's all ok then:thinking:

Speeds and stopping distance are inextricably linked. Closing speeds not independent vehicle speeds. You seem to comment that you couldn't safely get into the possible refuge without an emergency stop, ergo the closing speed was too high. 

What would you have done had a cow or a cyclist been tucked further into the edge? 

But hey if you are happy no amount of logical and safety focused discussion on the internet is likely to change your perception. You accept the risk but don't come bleating when people with a different perspective of risk make observations.

Be safe. 

Thanks for the PM and the link to the video; very difficult to assess though as you have; stopped it, slowed it down and added words and markers that detract from the full speed picture would, however, as I mentioned I am not here to try a build a logical argument over the internet, it doesn't work.  

But you may wish to consider within your first post you said:

met this impatient sod, made me go onto the shoulder!

or

My initial intention was just to come to a controlled stop and reverse for him like the utter legend I am, but he was travelling easily in excess of 50mph because he 'knows that road' so well, I was doing 35mph. Idiots like that have accidents on those roads fairly frequently,

Hence my comment:

If others wish to bring on single vehicle incidents then let them.

As  a whole you provide internal justifications that probably do not help in your desire to come across as a considerate and thoughtful progressive road user. And it was your deduction that it was another road users fault that I primarily objected to.

The tagline of your video indicates your philosophy, perhaps I like the odds stacked in my favour a little more.  Stay safe.

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 14.50.39.png

Clearing out the card so a selection from the last few months -

Arse, van was moving, tube in the Rav4 wasn't -

arse_zps3risxctw.jpg

Numpty in Octy (shame shame)

Edited by Aspman

So this just happened:

I included the bit after I passed him at the junction so you could see that nothing happened prior to then. He pulled out after I passed him and followed at a decent distance.

It was only when I came off the second roundabout that he decided to follow at less than a car length. It's 40mph there. I was actually doing just over.

I pulled over (pretty sharply admittedly) to let him pass.

I probably shouldn't have bothered passing him when he stopped but he just annoyed me and I saw red.

When he stopped in the middle of the road the 2nd time I was in no mood and didn't want to get into a confrontation with him. Nor did I want to risk being followed home etc so turned round, got my foot down to create some distance and went the long way home!

So wish I could have a rear camera too!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phil-E said:

So this just happened:

I included the bit after I passed him at the junction so you could see that nothing happened prior to then. He pulled out after I passed him and followed at a decent distance.

It was only when I came off the second roundabout that he decided to follow at less than a car length. It's 40mph there. I was actually doing just over.

I probably shouldn't have bothered passing him when he stopped but he just annoyed me and I saw red.

When he stopped in the middle of the road the 2nd time I was in no mood and didn't want to get into a confrontation with him. Nor did I want to risk being followed home etc so turned round, got my foot down to create some distance and went the long way home!

From my point of view I don't see what you did wrong here at all, granted pulling over may have provoked him, but it was ultimately the Corsa drivers decision to stop dead on the road and not continue that heightened the situation. 

Corsa driver appears to be a bit of a tool! Unless you were giving him sign language or something before pulling over I'm not sure how he'd have got so wound up. When he stopped the first time I'd have driven past as well - not worth risking him damaging you or your car even if you're in the right and he's in the wrong. Likewise when he stopped the second time, good luck the traffic was light too!

Hopefully one day he'll stop in front of the wrong person and they can both get out and try and knock some sense into each other. :D

Strange one, I don't see what provoked him to behave like that? Although your pull into the layby could have been seen as a 'right come on then!' Tools like this are normally all talk. One day he'll come across someone who does fancy a bit of confrontation.

He's a Corsa driver, he was probably in a bad mood because his 15 year old girlfriend has dumped him to focus on her GCSE's :D

• Like 3

Yeah I did pull in and back out of the lay-by a little sharpish in all honesty.

Must have been the way I did it that provoked him. And no sign language or anything as he passed me the first time.

I'm just weary about seeing him again now. I've got a pretty distinctive car I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Forgetting you and what you did not do,

if i had been on the push bike i would have split his spleen ruptured his kidneys and made him do the chicken.

George, you're such a moderate! :biggrin:

Phil, think I'd be reporting that to the Police.  He might already be on their radar, but if not, maybe he ought to be.  No telling what this numpty has planned, or who might be next.

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI
  • Like 1

Yes I think you're all right about reporting him to the police. My other half agrees also.

Like you say he may already be on their radar.

Just gotta figure out the best way to report it. Do I have to go to a police station or can I email them etc?

Phil

So it seems North Yorkshire Police have a dedicated service/team for reporting antisocial driving.

There was an online form to complete or if you have video footage to submit to upload it to dropbox/google drive/etc then email them with the link.

I've sent them an email with a description and sent them a link to the video.

Will see what they say.

Phil

• Like 4

On 14/03/2017 at 15:53, Phil-E said:

So this just happened:

Was this the same guy?!?