fraudsters calling from india saying pc has fatal errors

mobilone

im getting at least one call per day saying my pc  has errors recorded ,also the fault is with the server. and they say they are from microsoft, at first this had me very worrried, leading me to paying £86 to the microsoft assure service to have my pc remotely checked by them [yes it was microsofts genuine helpline I rang, and the transaction is recorded on my microsft account] and everything was in order

I contacted bt to see if they could block the calls, they said they couldn't.

the caller either withholds their number, or, it is a 6 digit number they have called from.

what can I do to stop this happening? ive tried putting the receiver down, if I have time I just go along with what they say,

Have to agree with above, I got a BT call blocker and we now get zero problem callers.

It is simply one of the best things we have ever bought.  You programme in all your numbers and if it does not recognise the number, it states "all calls to this number are monitored for nuisance calls" to the caller and asks for their name, then calls you and asks if you want to accept the call.

Superb!

I got a call from them last week and thought that I'd be helpful and offered to give them bank card details at the start of the conversion, they said "are you mad?" and hung up, that was not very nice!

Yesterday they called again, and I said "thank goodness you have called!" - and they hung up, again, not very nice!

Next time I must try the old wrinkly approach and start talking crap and not letting them get a word in, but I'm sure that they will hang up sharpish!

This personally touch is far better than the recorded messages as all you can do with them is get angry.

I have had to deal with this twice.

Once, an elderly relative called asking me about some company. She had allowed the remote control and had gone as far as giving them card details. Asked them to wait the weekend so she could check with me.

Being aware of the scam I told her to inform her bank and to not listen to them at all if they called again.

Bank said that they would't do anything until money moved from the account, which makes sense I guess but they were aware so would deal with it if it came up again.

Nothing else came of that one.

Second time was myself. Answered the phone at work to this crap. "Are you aware you have just called a business?" Dial tone follows...Wanted to string them along a bit but I don't have the time for that at work :D

It is really frustrating to hearthat people are being caught out by this and that there is nothing to stop them :(

some interesting replies here, especially the one saying you had a mac system installed.

a thought on my own was to ask them for a password, as genuine Microsoft technicians will give you their password to prove who they are, should shut them up

My girlfriend strings them along, making tapping noises on the keyboard etc. When they ask for bank details, she says 'you don't think I'm that stupid do you?'. Normally the phone gets put down fairly quickly!

I don't get the fun of this sort of entertainment, as I don't have a land line, but son gets this sort of call regularly, and works from home on his PC. In between data inputting, he manages to string them along, but then he's well into PCs and how this lot operate, so knows how to act dumb about PCs .So far he's got a record of 20 minutes ,before they give up, or he askse how to do it on a MAC.

I've pretended to boot up the PC and when they start to give instructions I say ' I can't see it on the screen' then string them along a little more before saying it's an apple mac does that make a difference. One time I asked them what a computer was? next when they called to say there was a problem with my computer and asked me to boot it up I said that it was in my works office fifty miles away, do you want me to drive over to the office and call you back? 

The last time I had a call I just told them they were talking Bulls**t and they hung up.

I told them I was in a chromebook (I really was) and they got really annoyed and said I was stupid as they were talking about the os not the browser and I said the os is chrome. They got quite agitated, was amusing

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Tell them you don't have a PC, or if you prefer as Jonnyfive said tell them your house only has Apple stuff.

Not a lot they can say to that.

I had a call once from a bloke with an Asian Accent, he said he was called Colin and said  I had a problem with my PC. I told hm we only use Apple products and the phone went dead.  10 minutes later the phone rang and a bloke phoned and said his name was Steve and said our apple mac computer had a fault

so I asked him to make up his mind what his name was   Colin or Steve   Again the phone went dead

• Like 2

some interesting replies here, especially the one saying you had a mac system installed.a thought on my own was to ask them for a password, as genuine Microsoft technicians will give you their password to prove who they are, should shut them up

There's no point asking them anything to verify if they're real. Microsoft (or any company, for that matter) will never call you up out of the blue to help you. These calls are always 100% scam. If you've given them any bank/card details I'd get them changed ASAP. The £86 is just the start. Expect more charges, from various places.

thanks to Kenny r for informing me about a product I did not know existed, I am tempted to go for the 202 model, as it has caller display,the other one does not have this facilty, neither does my phone have caller display.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CPR-Call-Blocker-V-202-Call-Blocker-Top-UK-BT-Line-Call-Blocker-/171733621683?hash=item27fc1f1bb3