Diesel or Petrol Skoda.... Help!

I am in a quandary over what to get for my next car, Diesel or Petrol..

The garage that repairs my current car resonantly says stay away from Diesel! DPF's nightmare etc etc etc, but on the other side I see lots of people driving about with no problems at all with their DPF's.

I guess it's all down to the driving I do, typically my Commute consists of a 30 minute 9 mile commute one way, (about 20 miles each day in total) as for the roads I am driving on, its no city driving at all where I am typically averaging 50-70 mph with the odd 30 mph through villages. 

Apart from the daily commute, we do occasional distance day trips occasionally motorway's, trips to Europe etc.. 

This is what has got me thinking, surely DPF problems stem from the vast majority of stop/start traffic commuting that people do on a daily basis??? I am not totally convinced my driving is that.

Opinions?

20miles a day I'd probably say petrol.

However I do 36 miles a day on similar roads and have a derv. I've not had any DPF issues in the year I've had it.

If the car is getting up to temperature I suppose it should be fine but that journey is probably a bit short for a regen.

That's what I was thinking...

Other option is getting a non-DPF model I guess ;-) what year were DPF's introduced?

It depends our standard 1.9 tdi was new in 2009 and does not have a dpf but different models had them at different points there is no hard and fast date across the model range. 

Edited by seriesdriver

If you wish to buy Skoda or other VAG car then diesel choice is better. Somehow I don't like these modern turbocharged low capacity petrol engines. There have been lots of problems with that chain etc.Probably the have to be improved and after some while they might be reliable. Not now (my opinion).

Diesels have got some other problems but I wouldn't say that DPF is the worst one if you consider removing that in case something happens.

In case you are buying a new car then there is great price difference between petrol and diesel with same power. If I thought about buying 1,4 TSI rather than 2.0 TDI diesel then it could ~3k EUR cheaper. That means I had to drive more than 100+k km before diesel starts being efficient (in case any of diesel particular problems do not appear)... if you buy diesel for its high torque value or you simply don't like petrol then it's a different thing :)

When I bought my car I wanted to get something like good old 1,6 MPI. I couldn't... only TSI were available. All those MPI were rather old so I bought a diesel.

Aside from Skodas (personal and work), I also get a variety of loan and friends' cars to drive. I'd say that as long as you'll get a DPF into natural regeneration regularly, the choice is more about which you'd rather drive.

I would say the mileage your doing a diesel would be fine. I have a vrs diesel and the two times I've had a dpf light on a 10 mile run has cleared it. They do take a bit to warm up which is where dpf problems happen but 20 miles a day I'm sure will be fine. I thought it was only the mk2 Octavia vrs that had the dpf fitted. A mate has a 140 2.0 Octavia with no dpf and another has a mk5 Golf gt 140 and I'm certain that doesnt have one either.

Diesel for me  :clap: last four cars have been with the only problem one which was a 60 plate Insignia ST (never again !!) was in 4 times in three months for a static regen. I was then told by the service manager that they are not designed for city driving !!!  :D

as a rough guide all PD diesels (apart from 4x4, scout, VRS and may be greenline) don't have DPF and you can double check this by the sticker code in the boot or DPF dash light on ignition

Look for boot codes to check:

OGG = no DPF
7GG = DPF

The maths are quite easy

Let's be honest - diesels are a compromise. They're great these days but they're still noisier, slower and arguably less reliable than their petrol counterparts. The latter is subjective but one thing you cant deny is that the diesels have the potential for larger repair bills - dmf, dpf etc.

I've had plenty diesels and currently running a petrol because I'm doing low mileage - similar to you actually. Simply add up the likely cost of fuel for the year, being realistic with your expected mpg - like for like you're normally comparing 30-35 with 45ish. Not comparing 20 with 60 :)

Clearly the diesel will be cheaper at any mileage but you then just have to weigh up if the compromises such as noise and power delivery along with the risk factor are worth that saving for you. At low mileage it's only a few quid a year so it's really not worth it - for me I wouldn't go back to diesel until I'm doing about 20k a year again.

I'd also probably say that it also depends on the sort of car you're considering - for something performance oriented like a VRS then the driveability factors are much more important than if it's a daily runabout. I know th diesel VRS is a good all rounder but for long trips I'd much rather an l&k with less power. And although the performance from remapped VRS diesels is impressive, it doesn't begin to compare with the fun of pushing a remapped petrol to the redline :)

Edited by iaind1

Diesel cars also cost more to buy. I've had a petrol ever since 2011 never had a problem. Currently on a 1.4 tsi and it's simply stunning performance wise

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The maths are quite easy

Let's be honest - diesels are a compromise. They're great these days but they're still noisier, slower and arguably less reliable than their petrol counterparts. The latter is subjective but one thing you cant deny is that the diesels have the potential for larger repair bills - dmf, dpf etc.

I've had plenty diesels and currently running a petrol because I'm doing low mileage - similar to you actually. Simply add up the likely cost of fuel for the year, being realistic with your expected mpg - like for like you're normally comparing 30-35 with 45ish. Not comparing 20 with 60 :)

Clearly the diesel will be cheaper at any mileage but you then just have to weigh up if the compromises such as noise and power delivery along with the risk factor are worth that saving for you. At low mileage it's only a few quid a year so it's really not worth it - for me I wouldn't go back to diesel until I'm doing about 20k a year again.

I'd also probably say that it also depends on the sort of car you're considering - for something performance oriented like a VRS then the driveability factors are much more important than if it's a daily runabout. I know th diesel VRS is a good all rounder but for long trips I'd much rather an l&k with less power. And although the performance from remapped VRS diesels is impressive, it doesn't begin to compare with the fun of pushing a remapped petrol to the redline :)

I am with you there. Of course a lot depends on what you really prefer. They say, high mileage, get a diesel. Low mileage, get a petrol. I have had both, but I have the petrol VRS and I do 20k miles a year. Stuff the extra expense, petrol all the way. 

Just to throw something into the mix.

I am currently looing at a VRS TSI which has had the chain tensioner replaced for the latest version but i've just been made aware that there is another potential problem with the tsi engine which is the camshaft bridge causing oil starvation. If this is the case then does this mean that the petrol engine has the potential to cost more to repair/maintain than the VRS diesel??

I really want the petrol but am now scared due to the number of TSI problems. Someone put my mind at rest or i'll end up with a diesel when i only do 8k per year.

Diesel cars also cost more to buy. I've had a petrol ever since 2011 never had a problem. Currently on a 1.4 tsi and it's simply stunning performance wise

Quite - a lot of people don't really think about the break even point as most people buying second hand will be spending a fixed amount. This does mean that the diesel you'll be buying will be older and/or higher mileage if it's the same spec - so you have the other costs which go with age and mileage too

Basically test drive one of the tsi engines and prepare to be surprised. I just came from 4 years in a 1.2 yeti. I'd have had the same engine in the octavia but skoda don't do it in elegance spec

The faults posted on sites like this can get you worried, but members don't tell you about the majority of their vehicles that don't fail. I used to have a diesel Honda Accord a few years ago. The Accord site members were always on about failed timing chains, cracked manifords etc. I got a bit worried so I saved an emergency fund just in case. After 106k miles without any of these faults I sold the car and put the emergency fund towards the next car. So I worried a little for nothing. Okay, my VRS might go bang, like any other car might, but I still bought it after reading timing chain tensioner faults on this site. I am certainly enjoying the VRS experience and am not going to worry at all. 

• Like 3

I am currently looing at a VRS TSI which has had the chain tensioner replaced for the latest version but i've just been made aware that there is another potential problem with the tsi engine which is the camshaft bridge causing oil starvation. If this is the case then does this mean that the petrol engine has the potential to cost more to repair/maintain than the VRS diesel??

Well, you never know but it's possible. But like I said above, there are many complaints about VAG car (VW, Skoda, Audi and some other)  petrol engines. In this case it's hard to say that petrol is reliable but diesel can have many faults.

If we talk about more old fashioned petrol engines then they aren't that fuel efficient but it's possible that you won't get any serious problems in years.

My father drives 06 Octavia with 1,6 MPI petrol engine. That can't be considered a race car but after ~150k km driven there has been no serious problems. Eternal flywheel, no DPF, no problems with EGR, no turbo etc. Sure, it consumes ~7 l/100 km (~35 mpg) but you pay for your peace of mind. You know that every morning it will run and there won't be any DPF faults.

If you need another example then take a look at new Toyota Verso. 1,6 multipoint injection petrol engine with 132 hp. I'd certainly choose such engine but Skoda doesn't offer anything like that.

Edited by Jevpls

You dont say how much u want to spend on a skoda ? the later cr tdi vrs octavia have a lot less issues with the dpf than the pd tdi vrs

I had a tfsi vrs for my daily 10 mile each way commute and it was pants on fuel econemy i struggled to get above 30mpg at the 10 mile point and u have to run it on super unleaded the road tax is a rip off too .

I now have a re-mapped pd tdi vrs and the econemy is unbelivable i now can get 45-50 mpg on my 10 mile commute and diesel is cheaper than standard unleaded petrol,also road tax is loads cheaper with the tdi,s

I wont go back to petrol no chance you will be lucky to get more than 350 mile from a full tank on a tfsi vrs and thats driving like a grandad   

Just to throw something into the mix.

I really want the petrol but am now scared due to the number of TSI problems. Someone put my mind at rest or i'll end up with a diesel when i only do 8k per year.

Its probably best you start another topic about this rather than this thread as you may get a better response,i personally havent heard of any problems with the TSI engine other than the timing chain tensioner issue. 

• Like 1

You dont say how much u want to spend on a skoda ? the later cr tdi vrs octavia have a lot less issues with the dpf than the pd tdi vrs

I had a tfsi vrs for my daily 10 mile each way commute and it was pants on fuel econemy i struggled to get above 30mpg at the 10 mile point and u have to run it on super unleaded the road tax is a rip off too .

I now have a re-mapped pd tdi vrs and the econemy is unbelivable i now can get 45-50 mpg on my 10 mile commute and diesel is cheaper than standard unleaded petrol,also road tax is loads cheaper with the tdi,s

I wont go back to petrol no chance you will be lucky to get more than 350 mile from a full tank on a tfsi vrs and thats driving like a grandad   

whereas I manage 470 out of a tank on my 1.4 tsi £30 a year tax for them too (unless you've been landed with the 17 inch wheels of course)

To put it in perspective, 20 miles a day for every working day is 4k miles - assume 6k miles a year then to include personal mileage. At 30mpg 120p that's just over a grand a year, 45mph and 110p is 660 quid. 80 quid a year difference in tax so your total saving is £440 a year (36 quid a month!)

On the used mk2 market there's probably about 750 quid difference between equivalent petrols and diesels so you're not going to break even for 18 months. Then when you've broken even - if it suffers DMF failure after 18 months (just an example of a higher risk issue - a fairly common issue on diesels, rare on petrols) then all your savings have been wiped out. So it's perfectly plausible to opt for a diesel, keep it for 3 years and not save a single penny - not saying that's what will happen but it's a feasible scenario. For all those 3 years, you've had the slower and noisier car.... Not worth it at all IMO. Run the same numbers for 20k miles and it starts to make sense, but then I'd not want the firm ride of the VRS for that!

People pay too much attention to the number on the dash - if it says 45mpg then it must be better than 30 - but it's total cost of ownership that matters

Edited by iaind1