VW ... Rumours starting already ...

Nick_H

I think this is the point we repeat the "don't believe everything you read on the internet" mantra.

There's undoubtedly a whole world of pain on the horizon for VAG group, but I can't imagine why it would spell the end of the Skoda brand..? True, they may have to sell some of the family silver to clear debts relating to fines and "rebuilding customer confidence" (whatever that means), but that's more surely more likely to involve non-core activities or put the brakes on any intention there might have been to enter formula 1.

Whatever happens, should be an interesting journey... I just hope we get to find out who the muppets are behind this ill-conceived plan and that they get appropriately punished.

Reminds me of the 'brilliant' post on a Vauxhall (?) forum where someone was complaining about a stray dog in his back garden, and what he should do about it. After a few posts advising him, he posted a picture of the creature.

Which was very clearly a fox.

• Like 1

Already read on another forum someone posting that this may be the end of Skoda.... Better get my car quick then ! Values will only go up !

As there is no link, you are the only visible source of this rumour at the minute.

And it's a stretch to even say it's a rumour if it's just a random comment on a forum.

I'll start a rumour .... Skoda to provide engines for Red Bull Team for next season Boom!

I must admit, I'll be surprised if the 150ps 2.0d is not impacted by this.

How is it actually meeting Euro6 criteria without Adblue? 

Yes, I was wondering that, although before VW stated all EURO6 compliant engines were OK.

The 150PS 4x4 needs adblue but the non-4x4 doesn't - perhaps the 2wd version doesn't chuck out enough to need adblue on top of the DPF and other mechanisms?

Yes, I was wondering that, although before VW stated all EURO6 compliant engines were OK.

The 150PS 4x4 needs adblue but the non-4x4 doesn't - perhaps the 2wd version doesn't chuck out enough to need adblue on top of the DPF and other mechanisms?

Mazda have a Euro 6 engine which doesn't require adblue, it achieves this by way of a very low compression ratio (14:1). The 150ps in the Superb is a fairly typical 16.2 : 1 so makes you wonder if Mazda and others couldn't achieve Euro 6 without adblue or another fundamental engine difference, how do VW?

Edited by Tesla

They say every cloud has a silver lining and these are my thoughts correct me if wrong but:-

• If you own a MkII Superb and its impacted and you have a deal for a new Superb and contract agreed then its probably a better trade in deal than what you would get next month!! Your new MKIII will not have the software and not be impacted....
  • If the software is suppressing the emissions prevention then it means the car is capable of lower emissions and the only impact without the software is poorer MPG but then every manufacturer has inflated MPG!!

Wonder what the impact for MAN SE and Scania will be?

Ouch, left field thinking! Lookout VAG.

I reckon it is going to be exceptionally painfully for VW and VAG as a whole? I'll bet this impacts on every diesel VAG sell, so Audi, Seat, Skoda and Porsche, and possibly even the trucks as well.

Now I am stuck with the possibility of potentially having to find an extra £2200 for the Ad Blue 190 TDI without the guarantee that even that will get off Scott free.

If the government drop a tax bomb on all us diesel drivers (don't think it could as it would screw 50% of public) is £2200 worth it now to save 8n the future?

Mention of a recall has been made.If so, what will be done, or what can be done. If it means changing the existing fitted software, that would mean our cars will rocket in emissions tests and thus in Road Fund charges. So can we claim from VAG for the increase for having duped us in the first place or will the recall necessitate the fitting of something, such as an Adblu injector. If so, can we claim for the cost of the Adblu supplies?. A factor which did decide me when buying my car was the Road Tax due to the ALLEGED emissions.

What has NOx emissions got to do with UK tax bands ? ( preumably you meant VED )

Quite right. VED bands are based on CO2 emissions.

MOT emission tests are based on CO2, Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) and Lambda (air/fuel ratio).

So if you have a diesel vehicle exceeding the manufacturer's specified NO level it will neither increase VED nor fail the MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/co2-and-vehicle-tax-tools

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348035/18th-edition-emissions-book-complete.pdf

Quite right. VED bands are based on CO2 emissions.

MOT emission tests are based on CO2, Hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel) and Lambda (air/fuel ratio).

So if you have a diesel vehicle exceeding the manufacturer's specified NO level it will neither increase VED nor fail the MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/co2-and-vehicle-tax-tools

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/348035/18th-edition-emissions-book-complete.pdf

That's what I presumed, but didn't think it was that simple!?

At worst you'll perhaps use more adblue to bring it in line to NOx levels.