ŠKODA Octavia RS: Now with all-wheel drive and six-speed DSG

Not sure if I've missed this elsewhere, but this looks good. From their press release...

Mladá Boleslav, 24 September 2015 - Shortly after introducing the new special edition Octavia RS 230, ŠKODA releases the next big name in their Octavia RS series: the powerful sports compact is now available with all-wheel drive. 4×4 drive for the Octavia RS diesel 2.0 TDI/135 kW (184 hp) in combination with six-speed DSG is available on the first markets as of now. This combination of all-wheel drive and sports performance turn the ŠKODA Octavia RS hatch and estate into an impressive performance package. The third-generation Octavia RS released in 2013 is a genuine success story, with more than 58,000 sold to date.

OcRS_4x4.jpg

• Like 2

Interesting that it's diesel only too.

Suppose it might be a relatively small market, for it in petrol form? Well at the present time anyway - be interesting to see how things far in the post-VW NoX world!!!

In the world of hot hatches getting more and more power (along with £) 184bhp seems a little tame to have a "sport" badge. Or should we start looking at vrs as more sline.

Back in 2001 when the "RS" came out it had 180bhp. 15 years later it's gain weight and quality but only has 184bhp. Doesn't seem much progress to me.

• Like 1

In the world of hot hatches getting more and more power (along with £) 184bhp seems a little tame to have a "sport" badge. Or should we start looking at vrs as more sline.

Back in 2001 when the "RS" came out it had 180bhp. 15 years later it's gain weight and quality but only has 184bhp. Doesn't seem much progress to me.

Its a VRS - its always been the 'sport' model of the model line up. The mk1 RS was petrol, not diesel. You could as easily say the above car has 280lb/ft torque compared to the mk1 VRS's relatively weedy 173lb/ft!

Wheres the TSI version of this new awd car!!!!! :(

• Like 1

The mk3 vRS TSI is actually lighter than the mk1. The TDI is only 3KG more than the mk1, with 145NM more torque.

Mk3 TSI: 1345 kg 

MK3 TDI: 1378 kg

Mk1: 1375 kg

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/octavia/vrs-2001/21293/

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/skoda/octavia/vrs-2013/62037/

Edited by softscoop
  • Like 1

I think we will have to consider diesel NoX emissions a bit more closely though, which could bring this closer in-line with the petrol model!

This was always going to be the case, as we head to the UK 2017 vehicle emissions charging re-hash. But the current VW 'issues' may throw a closer focus on it.

Emissions with 4x4 and DSG probably wont be overly clever though.

Wager SUK wont import it, though happy to be proved wrong.

With Haldex gen. 5 id suggest it will be very good - comparing to other fwd and haldex octy's its probably still going to be less than 130 km/g co2.

I think we will have to consider diesel NoX emissions a bit more closely though, which could bring this closer in-line with the petrol model!

This was always going to be the case, as we head to the UK 2017 vehicle emissions charging re-hash. But the current VW 'issues' may throw a closer focus on it.

Emissions will play no part in the new VED system coming in 2017, the new system is a flat rate for all regardless of emissions of £140. Except if the car cost over £40K to purchase then the rate is £450.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/ved-road-tax-from-2017-0182-2060

• Like 1

Petrol has 220 though and is (if above is correct) 30kgs lighter.

I doubt though we will get this in the UK market

Emissions will play no part in the new VED system coming in 2017, the new system is a flat rate for all regardless of emissions of £140. Except if the car cost over £40K to purchase then the rate is £450.

https://www.carwow.co.uk/news/ved-road-tax-from-2017-0182-2060

That's the current proposal. I'm less certain that's how things will actually play out.

• Like 1

Its a VRS - its always been the 'sport' model of the model line up. The mk1 RS was petrol, not diesel. You could as easily say the above car has 280lb/ft torque compared to the mk1 VRS's relatively weedy 173lb/ft!

(

And lost 0.5 second of the 0-60 and 6mph of the top speed!

I just feel if their is no TSI then should it really have a vRS badge. Drag race put a mk1 again the mk1 st170. Now put the possible new vRS again the current ST. I'm sue the tables will have turned a little.

And lost 0.5 second of the 0-60 and 6mph of the top speed!

Maybe but that truly is not greatly significant in the real world. Half a second? I would much rather have the security and road-holding of the 4x4 than half a second faster to 60. Just think - no traction issues at all.

Having a rather interesting conversation with Skoda on Facebook currently as to why this should be made available as a TSi also.... They don't see the business case of having a performance flagship octy with awd and a petrol lump. :(

Having a rather interesting conversation with Skoda on Facebook currently as to why this should be made available as a TSi also.... They don't see the business case of having a performance flagship octy with awd and a petrol lump. :(

And yet they'll stick a 280 petrol 4x4 on a superb. Knobs
  • Like 4

It's a Catch:22. Only by making it available will they know how many buyers there'd be :)

• Like 2

It's a Catch:22. Only by making it available will they know how many buyers there'd be :)

yeah, I do see that and they are a business at the end of the day so playing with the big seller - the TDi - makes a lot of sense. Their arguement is that the awd works more effectively with the tdi lump and it adds ability and stability to the vehicle.... Which is surely why they have a Scout available already with the same engine and drivetrain! A TSi with awd gives them a performance flagship for the enthusiast. I'd buy one, as an estate, simple as.
  • Like 1