Build quality of Superb III

mtl

Do you have any video of the bashing ?

Unfortunately not! SWMBO looked on with *that* face as I attacked it with a small claw hammer  :peek:

• Like 2

Meanwhile, at the other end of the load cover, I've stopped the felt strip vibrating by applying some Johnson's Klear floor polish (sounds strange but it works well as a thin glue that will wick into small gaps and as a gloss varnish; ask anyone who makes scale models) to the seam where it slides inside the metal crossbar.  The rattle is gone but it was intermittent at worst so I can't be sure if it's fixed for real.

I'll be checking the handle end too now :thumbup:

This is like a two pronged attack on the load cover!  :D

I still have the 2k rpm dashboard rattle, just got used to it.

What's this about rear suspension noise? Not noticed anything..

On a positive note, the ESP works OK! Phew!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I still have the 2k rpm dashboard rattle, just got used to it.

What's this about rear suspension noise? Not noticed anything..

On a positive note, the ESP works OK! Phew!

Is it around the plastic grille in the middle of the dash? in front of the windscreen demister outlet? I had a rattle up there and sorted it by removing the plastic grilles and modifying them.

More and more people are reporting a knocking noise from the rear suspension with a few cases of knocking at the front. It can be heard at low speed <10mph over a bumpy and irregular surface. It sounds a little like when an ARB bush wears out and knocks. Not ideal on a brand new car that can cost over £38k!

Is it around the plastic grille in the middle of the dash? in front of the windscreen demister outlet? I had a rattle up there and sorted it by removing the plastic grilles and modifying them.

More and more people are reporting a knocking noise from the rear suspension with a few cases of knocking at the front. It can be heard at low speed <10mph over a bumpy and irregular surface. It sounds a little like when an ARB bush wears out and knocks. Not ideal on a brand new car that can cost over £38k!

I haven't looked there yet, I thought it was around the satnav area...

I'm only speaking from my personal experience, along with a few others reporting a similar issue with that part of the dash. It's made up of 2 parts and I think they rub together at certain rpm. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only speaking from my personal experience, along with a few others reporting a similar issue with that part of the dash. It's made up of 2 parts and I think they rub together at certain rpm.

Well it's not that, I checked it out.

I'm very impressed with the overall build quality in my SE Business 2.0, no squeaks/rattles, suspension fine, panels aligned nicely, excellent paint job. But then I gave it a good wash the other day and spotted the chrome strip on the passenger door was very slightly out of line with the rear passenger door, anal I know but it's a slight fault. Yesterday I parked alongside a brand new Mercedes CLA AMG in almost the same colour, there was only us in the car park and I would say the Skoda stood up very well in design and styling against a superior marque car. But the best thing was I noticed the Merc had the same fault as mine on the drivers door and rear door, so now I don't feel too bad.

Incidentally I've just about hit 3k on the mileage and the car has suddenly gone super smooth engine wise and economy picked up, could be the better weather but I remember someone else commented hitting 3k and the car noticably improved.

• Like 2

The chrome trim on my front/rear doors is out a smidge but I'm not that bothered about it.  I also have a slight rattle inside the drivers door when it's chilly and the road surface is rough but it doesn't last long once things warm up. I also have the rear suspension noise when I'm in the staff car park as it's an underground multi-story with a knackered concrete floor.

I made the mistake of waxing the door shuts (the metal, not the rubber) when I gave it the fully monty wash/wax and now I can't get rid of the squeak that it's caused. I thought I'd fixed it and posted about it but it came back. I also tried tightening up the door latches with electrical tape which is a suggestion I found in various Golf/BMW forums.

Next step is to sand it all back to bare metal. What can possibly go wrong?  :D

Aside from occasional noises everything else is lovely.

Use ipa that will take the wax off! Not the beer ipa

Fortunately I had a litre of it so I've given the contact points a good rub and it certainly feels less 'waxy' than before. I'll see how it goes in the morning when I negotiate the ramps in the car park.

Mines booked in for a metal on metal squeak/rattle from the rear pax door area , might have blown a speaker :notme: ... first date I could be booked in with a courtesy car is the 31st .... 

Other than that all good , 8500 miles in..

Edited by Wagon

So I posted here for the first time not so long time ago. I got all the rattles in the car mentioned earlier -dashboard, seat belts pillar trim. I did not experience yet the suspension noises but.....it turned out my car geometry from the new was wrong. Now the car is the 10th day with the dealer but since new superb requires special equipment, the car was taken to Audi. Be aware - Skoda will tell you, that every time you do alignment front camera must be adjusted as well and all is more expensive - naturally :). I am glad I didn't have to pay anything.

To add to the wonderful build quality,I was told my sat nav is loose from new and needed to be fitted again.

To compare- as a courtesy car, I got Octavia Estate 110 TDI and can't help thinking it is a better car than my Superb. Nothing rattles, it's quiet inside,got better fuel economy and accelerates as good as 150TDI Superb. Perhaps the exterior is not so cool, but after 16000 miles the look doesn't count that much anymore.

In my opinion, the SUPERB is no longer superb, only good at best. 

Edited by Guest

...Now the car is the 10th day with the dealer...

To compare- as a courtesy car, I got Octavia Estate 110 TDI and can't help thinking it is a better car than my Superb. Nothing rattles, it's quiet inside,got better fuel economy and accelerates as good as 150TDI Superb. Perhaps the exterior is not so cool, but after 16000 miles the look doesn't count that much anymore.

Did you make 16000 miles in the Octavia for 10 days?

Did you make 16000 miles in the Octavia for 10 days?

@xpertbg noooo. That would be an achievement! But 16k in Superb over the 10 weeks from new. In last 10 days I have covered 1.6 k in Octavia and if I can, I'd keep this car. But on Sat Superb should be back and will let people know how are things.

Will also post some photos of painted calipers and hubs as they got all rusty after 6 weeks and I was not pleased with the wheel area look.

After three months ownership, not a single squeak, rattle or knock. Everything is how it should be.

... but after 7 months ...

But then I gave it a good wash the other day and spotted the chrome strip on the passenger door was very slightly out of line with the rear passenger door, anal I know but it's a slight fault.

The chrome trim on my front/rear doors is out a smidge but I'm not that bothered about it.

That ever so slight misalignment of the door trim that I ignored as irrelevant has suddenly turned into a PITA issue for me.

The rubber seal of the driver's door is now pulling the r/o/s door chrome strip out of it's rubber housing every time I open the driver's door.

I suspect the mounting of the driver's door is out by just a couple of mm or so, so I'll get it back to the dealer to have it sorted asap.

So those like me who noticed but ignored what appeared to be the smallest of flaws, be aware it can quickly develop into something much more annoying.

post-74330-0-98627200-1463608461_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ref the annoying buzz/ vibration somewhere inside the dash,

I left my car with the local main dealer today to investigate.

They said that they removed part of the dashboard and found that the noise was being caused by 'heater pipes'. They 'made adjustments'!! and hey presto - fixed!

Well pleased.

I have the exact same issue with my Estate. Contacted the dealer, hopefully get it back to them soon so they can sort it out. Minor annoyance. 

... but after 7 months ...

That ever so slight misalignment of the door trim that I ignored as irrelevant has suddenly turned into a PITA issue for me.

The rubber seal of the driver's door is now pulling the r/o/s door chrome strip out of it's rubber housing every time I open the driver's door.

I suspect the mounting of the driver's door is out by just a couple of mm or so, so I'll get it back to the dealer to have it sorted asap.

So those like me who noticed but ignored what appeared to be the smallest of flaws, be aware it can quickly develop into something much more annoying.

attachicon.gifDSC00141.JPG

My rattles are totting up slowly; 1) Glovebox, 2) o/s/r door card or it's sunblind, 3) drivers door card / handle, 4) coin tray by drivers right knee. All annoying but minor and certainly not worth the 30 mile round trip to the nearest dealer only for them to probably make things worse. I'll mention them at service time (which will prob be around 4 months before the end of lease!).

Also going to mention the engine noise as it's consistently noisier than I think it should be.

I must admit to having not fallen in love with the Superb, I'm glad I've only got it until Nov '17.

My 100,000 mile 2009 Mondeo had absolutely no cabin rattles whatsoever. Skoda quality seems to be going backwards.

I have the exact same issue with my Estate. Contacted the dealer, hopefully get it back to them soon so they can sort it out. Minor annoyance. 

I took it to the dealer the following day so they could have a look and after three people examined it they couldn't determine if the rubber needs removing and realigning or the door needs rehanging.

It could be either a two hour job (if just the rubber) or a two day job (door alignment means taking to their bodyshop which is elsewhere, hence two days).

Booked to go in tomorrow. Having since compared it with the passenger door I notice the door gap on both sides are even, so silently praying it's just the door's rubber seal that needs realigning.

As a temporary fix I put one drop of rubberised superglue behind the chrome trim and that was enough to stop it popping out each time I opened the door.

Mines booked in for a metal on metal squeak/rattle from the rear pax door area , might have blown a speaker :notme: ... first date I could be booked in with a courtesy car is the 31st .... 

Other than that all good , 8500 miles in..

Fat lot of good Spirit Skoda are  , had the car all day and said a metal clip was in the door bin causing the noise... :dull: . , 5 miles into the drive home and its rattling away again.

When I got home I played music just through the left rear speaker with mucho vibration , grabbed hold of the internal door handle and pulled .. hay presto the noise vanishes , turns out the whole panel is vibrating  :devil:

I took it to the dealer the following day so they could have a look and after three people examined it they couldn't determine if the rubber needs removing and realigning or the door needs rehanging.

It could be either a two hour job (if just the rubber) or a two day job (door alignment means taking to their bodyshop which is elsewhere, hence two days).

Booked to go in tomorrow. Having since compared it with the passenger door I notice the door gap on both sides are even, so silently praying it's just the door's rubber seal that needs realigning.

As a temporary fix I put one drop of rubberised superglue behind the chrome trim and that was enough to stop it popping out each time I opened the door.

How did you go? Mine booked in tomorrow, I'm going to leave it with them for the day. Hopefully doesn't take any longer.