Build quality of Superb III

mtl

2.5k in to my ownership, as of yet it has been absolutely spot on.

No rattles or knocks.

Occasionally the auto boot doesn't open, another press and it releases fully.

I have 18" wheels, I certainly wouldn't want anything lower profile, pot holes hurt!

I am 6'3" I find the seat extremely comfortable but can't get the wheel position just right, even on full reach I find my arms are too extended. Move my seat closer and my legs aren't supported.

Has anybody else found the gearbox a little clunky/tight? When the engine stops with start/stop sometimes I can't engage 1st gear without depressing the clutch twice.

Also what's other people's experience of leather in a car? I'm finding the seat is creasing very quickly (I am very thin so it's not my weight)

These are all tiny moans, overall I am delighted with the quality. The infotainment is spot on and a massive step up from my mk2 octy. The 150 diesel is a nice balance for normal driving, anymore would need 4x4 as I can't floor it with mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

When I drove the demonstrator I loved the car and build quality.

Cannot say the same about my own Superb III.

My car was delivered with non-leveled levers for indicators and wipers. The right lever is lover by 5-6 mm comparing to the left one.

The steering wheel is not horizontal when driving straight. I hove some noises coming from the pillar next to the driving seat, lights switch nob area and I can hear some metallic sound at 60 mph and above at the front or rear wheel near side.

Hi there,

When I drove the demonstrator I loved the car and build quality.

Cannot say the same about my own Superb III.

My car was delivered with non-leveled levers for indicators and wipers. The right lever is lover by 5-6 mm comparing to the left one.

The steering wheel is not horizontal when driving straight. I hove some noises coming from the pillar next to the driving seat, lights switch nob area and I can hear some metallic sound at 60 mph and above at the front or rear wheel near side.

Where's the nob area?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rattling sound at 2000rpm causing the coating of sheet metal, which is coated exhaust. My problem was solved with relining sheet metal.

2.5k in to my ownership, as of yet it has been absolutely spot on.

No rattles or knocks.

Occasionally the auto boot doesn't open, another press and it releases fully.

I have 18" wheels, I certainly wouldn't want anything lower profile, pot holes hurt!

I am 6'3" I find the seat extremely comfortable but can't get the wheel position just right, even on full reach I find my arms are too extended. Move my seat closer and my legs aren't supported.

Has anybody else found the gearbox a little clunky/tight? When the engine stops with start/stop sometimes I can't engage 1st gear without depressing the clutch twice.

Also what's other people's experience of leather in a car? I'm finding the seat is creasing very quickly (I am very thin so it's not my weight)

These are all tiny moans, overall I am delighted with the quality. The infotainment is spot on and a massive step up from my mk2 octy. The 150 diesel is a nice balance for normal driving, anymore would need 4x4 as I can't floor it with mine.

Agree - the glovebox is clunky/tight, and also not very deep!  Anything more than a couple of Cds and I can't close it.

Agree - the glovebox is clunky/tight, and also not very deep! Anything more than a couple of Cds and I can't close it.

Think you may have miss read my post, I said gearbox. Sorry...

So I was pottering around the car today after getting it washed and I opened the front passenger door, probably for the first time since the days following delivery. I noticed that there were signs of wear on the edge of the glovebox housing, just at the point where it abuts the door card when the door is closed. Slight signs of corresponding wear on the door but definite "rubbing" marks on the dash \ glovebox area.

I've had the occasional rattle from the glovebox area, usually when the car is cold and usually solved by a bit of gentle percussive persuasion. It seems the dash\glove housing is a couple of mm off square. Anyone notice anything similar on theirs? Might explain some of the noises being reported in that area.

These are the issues I am currently having with mine: 

:: Knocking noise from the air recirculation damper - now fixed, see this other thread for details

:: Rattle/Vibration/Buzz @3,000rpm from the screen demister/central speaker grille in the middle of the dash top - semi fixed now. Those parts pry out with relative ease. It appears to be the point where those two separate plastic parts join together in the dash. I will post pictures of my adventures with this in due course. 

:: Very slight buzzing from my seatbelt height adjuster. Stuffing something between the plastic slider and the B pillar cover stops it. I'll devise a permanent fix at some point. 

:: Loud and irritating rattle from the retractable load cover. It appears to be rattling at the point where the cover latches when fully closed. Still trying to figure it out but it's quite tricky when driving. 

:: The rear screen washer is absolute crap. Doesn't even go anywhere near the sweep of the rear wiper! I'll leave it for the first service. 

I know I can kick the car back to the dealer for these things but I prefer to cure them myself. No disrespect to the Skoda technicians but they are against the clock with problems like these and there is always the chance of things being made worse. 

Edited by Gizmo68
link added
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

:: Loud and irritating rattle from the retractable load cover. It appears to be rattling at the point where the cover latches when fully closed. Still trying to figure it out but it's quite tricky when driving. 

I'm pretty sure I've tracked this down to the rubbing strip underneath the metal crossbar where the cover emerges.  When the cover is fully extended, it no longer touches the rubbing strip which can then vibrate, it being a loose fit within the crossbar.  I haven't worked out a fix yet though, will post a new thread when I do.

Cheers,

Simon

• Like 1

These are the issues I am currently having with mine: 

:: Knocking noise from the air recirculation damper - now fixed, see this other thread for details

:: Rattle/Vibration/Buzz @3,000rpm from the screen demister/central speaker grille in the middle of the dash top - semi fixed now. Those parts pry out with relative ease. It appears to be the point where those two separate plastic parts join together in the dash. I will post pictures of my adventures with this in due course. 

:: Very slight buzzing from my seatbelt height adjuster. Stuffing something between the plastic slider and the B pillar cover stops it. I'll devise a permanent fix at some point. 

:: The rear screen washer is absolute crap. Doesn't even go anywhere near the sweep of the rear wiper! I'll leave it for the first service. 

I know I can kick the car back to the dealer for these things but I prefer to cure them myself. No disrespect to the Skoda technicians but they are against the clock with problems like these and there is always the chance of things being made worse. 

Rear washer..... mine is the same.. though the washer jet is moulded in the LED centre brake light unit and unable to redirect.

Rear washer..... mine is the same.. though the washer jet is moulded in the LED centre brake light unit and unable to redirect.

Mine too, though I'm surprised to hear the jet is in the brake light unit. Until I read that I was entirely certain mine sprays from the wiper arm itself. I have the hatch though, so maybe it's that? The first half second of operation the spray seems to come from the whole bar and thus has a great spread. As soon as the wiper is nearing 45 degrees though, the spray doesn't reach any more (gravity/weak spray pressure?), and as such the top half of the swept area is basically dry-wiped.  :dull:

ETA: Apart from that tiny 'issue' (the hatch basically doesn't need a wiper anyway, I wish I hadn't specced it now), the car is perfect. No rattles, things open and close as they should - and only when they should - and it's as silent and smooth as can be.

Edited by Derv

I'm pretty sure I've tracked this down to the rubbing strip underneath the metal crossbar where the cover emerges.  When the cover is fully extended, it no longer touches the rubbing strip which can then vibrate, it being a loose fit within the crossbar.  I haven't worked out a fix yet though, will post a new thread when I do.

Cheers,

Simon

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this one. I can sort of recreate the rattle by gently tapping the cover when closed. The metal bar that runs close to the pull handle seems to be the source on mine. Specifically where it sits in the recess each side when fully closed. It doesn't rattle at all when half open. 

Now the car has done almost 5,000 miles. Here is a proper update on the bugs I am having with the car:

:: Knocking noise from the air recirculation damper - now fixed, see this other thread for details

:: Rattle/Vibration/Buzz @3,000rpm from the screen demister/central speaker grille in the middle of the dash top - semi fixed now. Those parts pry out with relative ease. It appears to be the point where those two separate plastic parts join together in the dash. I will post pictures of my adventures with this in due course. This has all but disappeared, but I fear there is a bigger issue as I have excessive NVH coming from the engine when accelerating between 1200-2000rpm. It's as though something is rubbing or touching when the engine moves on its mountings under load. 

:: Very slight buzzing from my seatbelt height adjuster. Stuffing something between the plastic slider and the B pillar cover stops it. I'll devise a permanent fix at some point. This appears to have gone away on its own - who knew? 

:: Loud and irritating rattle from the retractable load cover. It appears to be rattling at the point where the cover latches when fully closed. Still trying to figure it out but it's quite tricky when driving. Still trying to get to the bottom of this one, I'm getting closer to the source of the rattle. 

:: The rear screen washer is absolute crap. Doesn't even go anywhere near the sweep of the rear wiper! I'll leave it for the first service. Still crap  :giggle: 

:: The dreaded rear suspension knocking noise. It's getting steadily worse as the miles rack up. 

• Like 1

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this one. I can sort of recreate the rattle by gently tapping the cover when closed. The metal bar that runs close to the pull handle seems to be the source on mine. Specifically where it sits in the recess each side when fully closed. It doesn't rattle at all when half open. 

It's definitely the rubbing strip vibrating in its slot in the crossbar with mine but, like yours, it doesn't rattle when the cover is half open.

It's definitely the rubbing strip vibrating in its slot in the crossbar with mine but, like yours, it doesn't rattle when the cover is half open.

I'll take another look at it and see if mine is the same problem. It might hopefully be a case of Skoda making an updated version of this cover if it's a common issue. 

I've taken a proper look at this infuriating luggage cover rattle. 

I removed the cover and took it indoors. I opened it out and wedged the mechanism to stop it winding back in before suspending the back of the cover (where the pull handle is) between to dining room chairs to simulate its position in the car. 

By tapping the back of the cover, I could recreate the rattle it made in the car. I removed the plastic handle (3 Torx screws) to ensure it wasn't that. With it removed, the rattle was STILL there. 

I replaced the handle and checked it again. I finally tracked it down to the bar that runs the width of the cover, just in front of the handle. 

It appears there is a thin piece of metal wrapped around the plastic that runs from one side to the other, presumably to add stiffness. It was this thin metal that was tapping against the plastic inner. 

Note: the following paragraph is highly technical, so please try and keep up with me on this one......

I clouted it three times with a small hammer which essentially pressed the steel up against the plastic inner  :giggle:

I've replaced the cover and there aren't any rattles so far. Fingers crossed the next few days will prove if my high tech fix has worked. 

attachicon.gifLuggage cover.jpg

Do you have any video of the bashing ?

Meanwhile, at the other end of the load cover, I've stopped the felt strip vibrating by applying some Johnson's Klear floor polish (sounds strange but it works well as a thin glue that will wick into small gaps and as a gloss varnish; ask anyone who makes scale models) to the seam where it slides inside the metal crossbar.  The rattle is gone but it was intermittent at worst so I can't be sure if it's fixed for real.

I'll be checking the handle end too now :thumbup: