Briskoda WhatsApp

BO60BYS

You can use it as a free alternative to text messages, and can do group chats as well.

Technically not free.. 69p per year and free for the first, I use both SMS and WhatsApp, WhatsApp to send photos videos and SMS to send messages, keep my phone bill cheap and cheerful 

Technically not free.. 69p per year and free for the first, I use both SMS and WhatsApp, WhatsApp to send photos videos and SMS to send messages, keep my phone bill cheap and cheerful

Pretty much everyone gets tonnes of free texts these days, and Facebook, hangouts has group messaging all for free.

Pretty much everyone gets tonnes of free texts these days, and Facebook, hangouts has group messaging all for free.

It's not that useful for texts, as you say most people get unlimited texts for free.

However send a single photograph attachment and that text ceases to be free, and can rocket to £1 or more.

This is where WhatsApp is useful, in that sending photos via it costs nothing.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Till you've used your free data allowance up :) or you share 10 pics on holiday ;) Unless sharing from home on the wifi of course, which is the future, a wifi grid mesh freely useable. But then free = the places giving you the free, will also be able to push you offers on your favourite mocha chocca and pastry as you walk past any of there sites. But that's actually the past, it's already done.

I'd rather have my email out there than my mobile number. I can't filter my mobile I can in one click filter my mail. handy given it's been out there for 15+years.

What I should of said while initially reacting is, I don't mind so long as it's constructive for members of the community. If it brings disrepute or bleeds knowledge then I'll knock it on the head or adapt it to be less diversionary.

Of course if I'd been true to my accuser I should of banned and burnt the topic.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

How about, in simple terms a 60 year old can understand, you explain EXACTLY what this "thing" can do and the benefits of it?

It can do all the things mentioned in here (+ send short videos), but the intended usage suggested at the start of this thread is to essentially use it as a chat room of sorts for Briski members. 

This what I find useful too about WhatsApp....the ability to send pictures, free

I have it and use it for that too, but I also have Viber which is free and allows essentially the same but also voice calls to anyone else with the app and in the pictures side of things, it also resizes them down, but sends at a higher resolution which I prefer. Worth a look if you haven't used it, loads of people have it. 

Till you've used your free data allowance up :) or you share 10 pics on holiday ;) Unless sharing from home on the wifi of course, which is the future, a wifi grid mesh freely useable. But then free = the places giving you the free, will also be able to push you offers on your favourite mocha chocca and pastry as you walk past any of there sites. But that's actually the past, it's already done

Unless like FUBAR you have unlimited data on Three with the ability to use your allowance of free minutes and SMS in loads of other countries around the world and your data up to a capped limit of 25GB per month for 'all you can eat data' customers like me :D Works well for me as I get 30mb download and around 5mb upload speed on 3G at home and as I am close to the only land border in the UK, I can use it trouble free when it automatically roams when I am anywhere within 15 miles and it annoyingly would cross over to the stronger signal :( 

• Administrators

When 5g is out these apps will make much more sense to the average Joe. Heck on my phone I struggle to hit 1Gb usage on 4g... but I tend to hop to wifi spots, although slowly as it rolls out I'm using tethering more and more.

These external apps/services, we have no control over the quality or indeed who is using them. I can't recommend it, as I don't use it :)

Now that the new front engine Favorit has been launched I've decided to move with the times, so I've learnt how to text. You can write and send messages without even using paper or pen and no stamp is needed. Amazing!

• Like 2

When 5g is out these apps will make much more sense to the average Joe. Heck on my phone I struggle to hit 1Gb usage on 4g... but I tend to hop to wifi spots, although slowly as it rolls out I'm using tethering more and more.

These external apps/services, we have no control over the quality or indeed who is using them. I can't recommend it, as I don't use it :)

The biggest issue / incomparability with the likes of WhatsApp or Viber for the suggested usage here, that has been mentioned already and I agree with, is that it displays the users full name and telephone number by default and is unavoidable. That is much more invasive and open for abuse than the relative security / anonymity of a user made account on the forum, which allows greater control of what personal information is dispensed. I am in a WhatsApp group which is just for the drivers at work and it works because we all know each other and it very conveniently suits our needs from it. Relevant live work related information sharing, shift swapping, general ability to contact each other and pool geographical knowledge and utter banter/abuse outside of the confines of the regulated work environment.   

• Like 3

*Mental note - Post Rob's number for the internet to see and also leave it on bathroom walls with a "questionable" message* :yes:

Shouldn't be hard to find you with that gay toy on the front of your car princess ;)

• Like 1