Yeti Power / Superb Trim

Taurus

Hello Folks, I was considering purchasing my wife a Yeti Outdoor SE L Exec 4x4. Having driven a 170bhp recently, which I found barely adequate, I was hoping the top Yeti's would get the new 190bhp that's now in the Superb instead I find 150bhp is now the most powerful. I'm far more interested in diesel power rather than mpg or emissions. Does anyone know if the Yeti is to get the more powerful diesel and if so when as I may wait, if not I'll have to go elsewhere.

I've had top line Skoda's before and was considering repeating the experience myself now I can get a 190bhp SE L Exec. However I was disappointed with the lack of "plushness" to the facia trim and thought to have a Wood or alternative trim fitted as previously available but I can't locate it within the online Skoda build or brochure. Is such a thing no longer available ?  Are the SE L Exec's doomed to look like an "S" level car?  Does anyone know if such an upgrade can be obtained?

Wagonmaker.

Better off asking in the yeti section -

round here is for problems etc directly related to the briskoda website :)

No doubt a mod will relocate shortly!

I can't see it to be honest, otherwise they'd have probably done so when they launched the 150tdi. I expect VW still don't like the Yeti competing with the Tiguan/Q3 so they're gradually trying to neuter it to avoid stealing more sales from the "prestige" brands they own, let's face it they've been trying for years by making the top spec versions only available with turd brown interiors...  :dull:

Hello Folks, I was considering purchasing my wife a Yeti Outdoor SE L Exec 4x4. Having driven a 170bhp recently, which I found barely adequate, I was hoping the top Yeti's would get the new 190bhp that's now in the Superb instead I find 150bhp is now the most powerful. I'm far more interested in diesel power rather than mpg or emissions. Does anyone know if the Yeti is to get the more powerful diesel and if so when as I may wait, if not I'll have to go elsewhere.

I've had top line Skoda's before and was considering repeating the experience myself now I can get a 190bhp SE L Exec. However I was disappointed with the lack of "plushness" to the facia trim and thought to have a Wood or alternative trim fitted as previously available but I can't locate it within the online Skoda build or brochure. Is such a thing no longer available ?  Are the SE L Exec's doomed to look like an "S" level car?  Does anyone know if such an upgrade can be obtained?

Wagonmaker.

I'm not surprised you find the Yeti performance adequate when compared to your Merc! Though I am a little surprised, as those with the 170 versions and the 140 for that matter reckon they go pretty well. Good job you didn't try the 110! :D

But the Yeti isn't about high performance and given that it looks like the present incarnation will be the last before they start bringing out the completely new models then I think it extremely unlikely that they will use the 190 engine, but of course one never knows. 

As regards the trim quality it is a Skoda you know, not a VW or Audi! I've had those as well, well still do, but I reckon it's perfectly OK for the sector it's aimed at i.e. value for money SUV, and I find it quite a nice place to be when I commute etc. I don't need to tell you once you start looking at Audi and VW the costs go up disproportionately!

Accept it for what it is and the Yeti is a cracking vehicle.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised you find the Yeti performance adequate when compared to your Merc! Though I am a little surprised, as those with the 170 versions and the 140 for that matter reckon they go pretty well. Good job you didn't try the 110! :D

But the Yeti isn't about high performance and given that it looks like the present incarnation will be the last before they start bringing out the completely new models then I think it extremely unlikely that they will use the 190 engine, but of course one never knows. 

As regards the trim quality it is a Skoda you know, not a VW or Audi! I've had those as well, well still do, but I reckon it's perfectly OK for the sector it's aimed at i.e. value for money SUV, and I find it quite a nice place to be when I commute etc. I don't need to tell you once you start looking at Audi and VW the costs go up disproportionately!

Accept it for what it is and the Yeti is a cracking vehicle.

+1

170 - "barely adequate"?

Really?

Either the car you drove had issues, or you had very unrealistic expectations for a tall sided, high ground clearance 4x4.

As for the wood trim - it can be sourced from Superskoda or Skodadop - and is a very easy DIY retro-fit.

• Like 4

170 - "barely adequate"?

Really?

Either the car you drove had issues, or you had very unrealistic expectations for a tall sided, high ground clearance 4x4.

As for the wood trim - it can be sourced from Superskoda or Skodadop - and is a very easy DIY retro-fit.

Quite!   :thumbup:

170 - "barely adequate"?

Really?

I can kind of see the OP's point. Performance of the 170-engined Yeti is a bit blunted by both the weight and power-sapping of the 4wd system.

In pure outright acceleration terms, it's a little way off 2wd cars from the VAG range fitted with the same engine, Golfs for example; probably more on a par with a 2wd car running in the region of 150bhp.

But it's not slow. And not many people buy a Yeti for drag-racing. And a remap to 205-210bhp will only set you back £400 or so :)

You can get a 4x4 TDI 190 in the new Superb though...

I bought a 170 Yeti in December 2009 to replace a Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport which was powered by a 2 litre Golf GTI  8v.

The Ibiza  which I owned from new for 11 years was no slouch but the Yeti shaves a second off the Ibiza 0-60 at 8.4sec.

Never felt short changed by the power and handling of the Yeti. You can chuck it round and it sticks to the road ...only downside is driven like that  you will need tyres every 15k.

If you need and use more than the 170 has to offer,  please tell me how you avoid getting nicked.  I've just completed my second Speed Awareness and I drive carefully....  Your Honour!!

• Like 2

I have never thought of the TIBETs as slouches (all have been CR170s). Okay, in the dry, the CR170 Yeti may not win against lighter vehicles when it comes to the traffic light grand prix - but that really is missing the point about what it's about. Personally, I don't think diesels are in their element when making a speedy getaway from a standstill.

It's akin to complaining that the fuel consumption at motorway speeds isn't as good as a 2WD 'car' or that in an Octy III vRS the view over the hedgerows isn't as good as it might be. 

On a road without perfect grip and especially in the wet, the Haldex system makes a CR170 Yeti a very rapid machine to cover the miles, one that is quicker than most - and it isn't just the grip, there is very little body roll.   

• Like 1

Interesting. I was denies a second Speed Awareness...

Possibly because the first one didn't work? :happy:  

If only the manufacturers could put something in the car to show you how fast you were going. It was never a problem when my man walked in front with the red flag.

And come on  'fess up 4 Wheel Driver - what speed were you really doing? Under the ACPO guidelines simply being 2mph over the speed limit is very unlikely to get you stopped let alone a ticket or Speed Awareness course unless road conditions are exceptional for some reason. (And yes, I say this with all the smugness of someone whose never been caught..).

post-101775-0-57153500-1445591043_thumb.jpg

And come on  'fess up 4 Wheel Driver - what speed were you really doing? Under the ACPO guidelines simply being 2mph over the speed limit is very unlikely to get you stopped let alone a ticket or Speed Awareness course unless road conditions are exceptional for some reason.

You'd be surprised, with the Police it seems to depend on many factors; I had a taxi driver friend stopped doing 31 in a 30! This just so happened to coincide with a rather large scuffle kicking off between rival football fans in the town centre half a mile away, when my friend pointed out to the officers that perhaps they should listen to their radio as his had been blowing up for the last ten minutes with alerts from the office telling everyone to stay clear of the area - they merely replied with "Don't tell us how to do our job, perhaps you should be more concerned about your own law-breaking!". When he suggested that maybe they were trying to avoid the more pressing problem they threatened to take him to the station...  :clap:  

Edited by Jimrod

You'd be surprised, with the Police it seems to depend on many factors; I had a taxi driver friend stopped doing 31 in a 30! This just so happened to coincide with a rather large scuffle kicking off between rival football fans in the town centre half a mile away, when my friend pointed out to the officers that perhaps they should listen to their radio as his had been blowing up for the last ten minutes with alerts from the office telling everyone to stay clear of the area - they merely replied with "Don't tell us how to do our job, perhaps you should be more concerned about your own law-breaking!". When he suggested that maybe they were trying to avoid the more pressing problem they threatened to take him to the station...  :clap:  

I have heard so many stories like this one.

Not saying your friend's not telling the 'exact' truth but i've also spoken to so many people who don't wear seatbelts because they

have a friend/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/mum/dad/neighbour who would have died had they been wearing a seatbelt in a crash

I tend to take these reports with a pinch of salt.

• Like 1

I have heard so many stories like this one.

Not saying your friend's not telling the 'exact' truth but i've also spoken to so many people who don't wear seatbelts because they

have a friend/brother/sister/aunt/uncle/mum/dad/neighbour who would have died had they been wearing a seatbelt in a crash

I tend to take these reports with a pinch of salt.

I do understand that, this particular story was direct from my friend that evening and I've no reason to doubt him, it had really ****ed him off - not that you've any reason to believe me either!

My personal experiences with the Police in my area give me no faith in relying on them for anything important. There have been a few I've met who seem to genuinely be in it to help and do good but sadly the majority seem to want to avoid anything remotely challenging and instead pick the "low hanging fruit" in some sad kind of power trip. You can only go by your own experiences though.

Sorry for going off topic!

Edited by Jimrod

FAO Paul 52..... re your request for me to "fess up".... You raise quite an interesting issue re -Police tolerance/ allowance of driving above the speed limit.

Firstly thanks for the ACPO Guidelines. 

The Speed Awareness tutor stated that there is no National Policy - each Force has it's own  threshold on how far over you can go before they Summons you.

Secondly they can Summons you for exceeding the speed limit by any margin they choose.

These points were queried on the Speed Awareness Course I attended and the Tutor was adamant these points were correct.

First offence in Lancashire which doesn't prosecute up to 35mph.  I was clocked at 37mph. Ie. 2mph over.

Second offence in North Yorkshire. 68 in a 60 zone. They allow 67mph before prosecution. i.e. 1mph over.

I congratulate you on never having been caught.  I have only managed to keep a clean license for 44 years. How about you?

• 4 months later...

For normal driving, the majority here agree that the 1.2 isn't underpowered for the vast majority of tasks, with much of the motoring press opining that the 1.2 tsi is the best choice.  I suppose it also depends on your driving style, and personally, I don't need the extra power to bomb around Suffolk.  I would also take issue with anyone who considers Skoda trim as 'cheap' looking, which it isn't.  Of course compared with the 'executive' style trim on the beemer or merc models, the Yeti maybe isn't quite in that class.  I suppose it depends on what your priorities are.