What are people reading at the moment

sigarland1987

The Bear and the Dragon, Tom Clancy

have a good few of his, very well written , enough technical detail to understand whats happening, and just how international relations can be a knife edge balancing act!
  • Like 1

Jealous!

Ive had that on preorder for ages but it hasnt arrived yet :(.

His autobiography was fantastic. Really enjoyed that. Its the first full book ive read, n im 23 haha.

I got his autobiography at the same time,going to read that as well.  :D

Having seen his comedy act twice at our local Cornerstone arts centre, I am now reading his book. It's called, 100 acts of minor dissent by Mark Thomas. I love the way this guy rebels against unfair practices, whether it's large multinationals,the Saudi Arabian embassy, or Tesco, he does get his point across. A fun and interesting read.

Must get that new Guy Martin book next.

Just had Book 8 of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series delivered as a top up for free postage.

Let the lopping of priests heads begin Uthred!

51so-3jm74L._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Have seen a couple of the Bernard Cornwell series whilst looking around, are they any good?

Sounds silly but if you like them you'll really like them. They're all kind-of the same. Anti-hero to the fore much maligned and against all odds comes through with characterful sidekicks and occasional female companion.

He does it very well though and the historical context can be very interesting.

I got into his Saxon series early on. Started reading the odd Sharp novel too and they're just the same yet good too.

If you like the historical context Conn Iggulden's Mongol series or Oliver Pötzsch's Hangman (Medieval detective stories) series are good too

• Like 1

Thanks for the recommendation - not previously come across Oliver Potzsch. Downloading them atm, and will give them a try.

Your right about Bernard Cornwell - he has a tendency to re-write pretty much the same storylines in a seperate setting - e.g. The Arthur series, The Saxon series, the Grail Quest, Sharpe, Starbuck etc.

In truth most authors have a similar problem - (every Lee Childs book is pretty much the same as every other) - but he even admits that the Starbuck chronicles are too similar to the Sharpe books (but as Sharpe is where his money tree grows, he has put Starbuck on hold)

Conn Iggulden's Julius Ceasar's series is excellent too.

I'd also recommend the Simon Scarrow "Eagles" series if you like Roman historical military stuff.

P.S. I'm a book ahead of you in the Saxon Series - just got Book 9 - Warriors of the Storm, but not started it yet. That's the trouble with electronic books - it's so easy to just click on a link and download books, rather than spending hours wandering round Waterstones trying to decide.

Nothing right now.

Recently

Bossypants - Tina Fey - very funny

The Martian (that became a film) - interesting technically

Would recommend

The Gulag Archipelago - Solzenitshyn. I had to stop reading for a couple of years before I finished it, but glad I did.

Conn Iggulden's Julius Ceasar's series is excellent too.

I'd also recommend the Simon Scarrow "Eagles" series if you like Roman historical military stuff.

P.S. I'm a book ahead of you in the Saxon Series - just got Book 9 - Warriors of the Storm, but not started it yet. That's the trouble with electronic books - it's so easy to just click on a link and download books, rather than spending hours wandering round Waterstones trying to decide.

You know I liked the first few Caesar books then I thought they got really boring.

I've a few of Simon Scarrow's Eagles series.

I picked up  Angus Watson's Age of Iron on a 99p kindle deal a little while ago as well it was quite good, quite funny. It's set in the British Iron Age just prior to the first Roman invasion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Age-Iron-The-Trilogy/dp/0356502619/

I'm the same with the Kindle. I must have about £20 of 99p books queued up to read.

Back on the SciFi Richard K Morgan's Takeshi Kovacs trilogy is very good

Edited by Aspman

Am almost finished reading Mind Over Matter by Ranulph Fiennes.

I've read a few of his books fictional and biographical always great page turners. If you like the autobiographies try General Sir Peter De La Billiere book Looking for Trouble too.

I'm currently going through the original Bourne identity trilogy. Nothing like the film but still great stories.

Edited by CWARD
  • Like 1

Not mine.  When I go away for months on end I cant take a library of paperbacks.  

However, having downloaded a kindle torrent of 8000 books, I'm spoilt for choice.

Edited by camelspyyder

I was never a big reader before I got a Kindle. Within the first year of having the device I probably read more books within a year than all the years prior and as Camelspyyder says so much easier to carry around than a physical books and the adjustable font size means you can tailor a book to your preference.

Oh yes and I used to struggle to store all my books in the house.

In these last 2 years Kindle let me read 39 Discworld books, all the Song of FIre and Ice to date, and loads of other stuff, without having to visit IKEA for yet more shelving units.

I am presently reading a (pretty dumb but fun) zombie novel "Stay Dead" by Steve Wands, full of typos & bad grammar but trundles along in a reasonable fashion.

Not my usual stuff, but it was a freebie on Kobo. Also, I now feel slightly less highbrow than some of you.....!  

Elizabeth is Missing (Emma Healey) - murder mystery with added dementia.  A good read overall but the bonus was finally understanding what was going through my Mother's head in the last 10 years of her life.

Orphan Train (Kristina Baker-Kline) - Historical fiction - give it a try.

The Husband's Secret (Liane Moriarty) - Murder mystery - maybe a little too "Oprah" for some.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption (Laura Hillenbrand) - The biography of Louis Zamperini.  The things people go through & still come out sane at the end (a much better book than the movie).

American Gun (Chris Kyle) - The history of America in 10 guns.

Wild (Cheryl Strayed) - A really stupid woman hikes through the wilderness.  Riveting just to see how she stuffs up next.  (again, better than the movie)

How many posts on here are about books being read rather than on reading devices, I wonder ?

Mine are real paper... sister has a kindle, i just dont get it.. prefer turning a page and the smell of different paper and ink from different publishers (sad i know...)

• Like 1

Mine are real paper... sister has a kindle, i just dont get it.. prefer turning a page and the smell of different paper and ink from different publishers (sad i know...)

Still haven't finished books I am reading at the moment-Discworld and Legend. 

On the subject of Kindles, I admit I prefer the whole paper/book turning thing but for holidays I can see the appeal after taking two hardback books last time, having one kindle with lots of books on does appeal for travelling

How many posts on here are about books being read rather than on reading devices, I wonder ?

Kindle for me.  Especially when I go on holidays as a 2 week holiday I need about 6 books.  I don't sleep much so do the tourist thing with the family and read while they are all sleeping.

I do find Kindles a bit anti-social as when I was reading paper books I would pass them on to friends - saying "give me a USB and I'll give you a copy" doesn't seem to get the same response.  It has saved me a shedload of money though.

I am nearly 2/3rds of the way through Len Deightons, Bernard Sampson trilogy of trilogies.

Game

Set

Match

Spy Line

Spy Hook

Spy Sinker

Faith

Hope

Charity.

and the tie-in book - Winter

I am also 2/3rd of the way through Mathew Reillys Jack West series - I only started the above because I was waiting for the last Jack West book to arrive from Amazon.

I have both. Series I've started on paper I've tried to keep to paper copies. There is often very little difference in price.

Kindle has a lot of stuff I've taken a chance on for 99p. Rarely been dissapointed really..

Also have tings like the whole GoT set on it which is a lot of reading.

I've the older 3G Kindle which has a form of free internet on it. Slow and BnW but handy on holiday for checking flight times and the news.

Edited by Aspman