Anyone bought a VRS from motorpoint?

They seem to have a handful of unregistered hatches for £20k - good spec but have crap wheels

Apparently their country origin was cyprus

Any thoughts?...good deal?

I'll be honest, if you're saving over £6k (on the sprint yellow) that has Columbus, colour maxi, leather. I'd maybe take my chances and by some decent after market alloys with the saving. Pretty sure the Cypriot spec won't be that different from the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spec is a little unusual.....no lane assist (so no option to code the HBA either), leather but no seat heating, no drive mode selection....possibly no stop start, 17" alloys as standard fitment in other EU markets....probably has no alarm and may not have DAB or Bluetooth as they are also optional in other markets. 2 year warranty too.

20k is cheap for a new delivery mileage vRS but Id probably rather buy nearly new or new through a broker.....but if you are paying cash, looking to keep a long time and prepared to accept the compromises not a bad deal.

I bought one a few weeks, ago.

It has stop start, DAB and bluetooth, It has crap wheels but I will change these after the winter, it has no locking wheel nuts though.

It comes with a spare wheel set as well as the full netting pack for the boot. On the UK configurator with extras it worked out are 27-28k with all the extras.

It doesn't have the VRS button either but not to bothered about that as I will be replacing the exhaust anyway.

PS, As far as I know it will only be 2 year warranty in the UK, and then I have have to take my own out for the 3rd year. The only thing I haven't tested yet is the alarm but was assured it was on it.

They also did have 12 cars to start with now down to 4.

Here is the original thread I started http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/372928-advice-needed-on-import-vrs-tsi-dsg/

Cheers

JJ

Edited by Jack Jumpin
  • Like 1

Spec is a little unusual.....no lane assist (so no option to code the HBA either), leather but no seat heating, no drive mode selection....possibly no stop start, 17" alloys as standard fitment in other EU markets....probably has no alarm and may not have DAB or Bluetooth as they are also optional in other markets. 2 year warranty too.

20k is cheap for a new delivery mileage vRS but Id probably rather buy nearly new or new through a broker.....but if you are paying cash, looking to keep a long time and prepared to accept the compromises not a bad deal.

Not many roads in Cyprus where lane assist is usable, 17" Alloys as roads are generally worse than UK (they were when I was there), no seat heating. ... it's Cyprus, it gets hot hot and cool in winter, so no real need.

Stop start, why not as it is only software, VRS button no great shakes.

I would be interested but for the fact I am looking at a Superb III next.

• Like 1

Not many roads in Cyprus where lane assist is usable, 17" Alloys as roads are generally worse than UK (they were when I was there), no seat heating. ... it's Cyprus, it gets hot hot and cool in winter, so no real need.

Stop start, why not as it is only software, VRS button no great shakes.

I would be interested but for the fact I am looking at a Superb III next.

Fair point...but the point being is that the spec does vary a fair amount from your typical UK car..not a deal breaker but valid.

Leather without seat heating in UK winter isnt particularly fun....have been there.

Stop start is a bit more than software but the car probably has it anyway. Drive mode selection again a bit of a gimmick but i do actually find that my GTD drives better in Sport than it does normal (my 150 Octavia is the other way around)...so it could make a difference on a vRS.

As I said before...if you are willing to accept the compromises and not bothered about potentially getting stung if you go to trade it in and are in it for the long term represents a cheap vRS.

I dont personally mind the 17's...probably suit UK roads a bit better, serve to improve the ride a little and easier to repair if damaged than the standard diamond cut gemini.

• Like 1

I have looked into the alarm and there is no switch to disable the internal sensor, so there is no alarm on this car !

I cannot believe they never fitted one standard on all VRS versions.

Not to happy about this as a did ask and was told there was one. Has anyone bought the OEM alarm and retro fitted it ?

I found this from a previous post http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/other-8/oem-1k8951605a-car-alarm-system-kit/

Cheers

Andy

Alarm is optional in many other EU markets, UK is one of the few markets where all O3 variants come with the alarm.

I suppose you could try and find a VAG retrofir outfit to fit it for you...once all the parts are installed and wired accordingly Id wager its just a matter of coding correctly with VCDS.

I have looked into the alarm and there is no switch to disable the internal sensor, so there is no alarm on this car !

Does it actually matter? Being that an alarm is standard in the UK, and i'd wager even the bigger vRS geeks on here would struggle to tell this car isn't UK spec from the outside, then surely everyone will assume it already has an alarm.

How good is the actual alarm in the vRS anyway?

More important question is if the car has an immobiliser, now that would be a deal breaker.

All Skoda cars have an immobilser

As for the alarm, it may have a basic alarm but not the interior monitoring, best way to check is to look at the PR-Codes on the sticker in the boot

The alarm retrofit kit in the link is for an older platform car, so not suitable for the Mk3

I cannot believe they never fitted one standard on all VRS versions.

Not to happy about this as a did ask and was told there was one. Has anyone bought the OEM alarm and retro fitted it ?

I found this from a previous post http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/other-8/oem-1k8951605a-car-alarm-system-kit/

Cheers

Andy

Hope your insurer is not reading this thread... :doh:

Exactly - have you declared to your insurer it is an import and not UK spec?

Depending on who you are insured with this may make next to no difference, or they may say they won't insure you on an import. You do need to declare it, if it gets stolen without the alarm (which is standard in the UK) you could be in for a shock.

First thing I did before I even called motorpoint was to call the insurer and told them it was an import, they said its not a problem, as long as it is on their system.

But to be honest they must just presume import spec is the same as the UK because the make and model is on their system.

However they can play the tapes back if I need to claim, I also called after buying the car, and I clearly told them it was an import again.

Edited by Jack Jumpin

Hi Eddie,

Is this any good I went out to the car but it must be under the spare.

IMAG0172_zpsietrjock.jpg

All Skoda cars have an immobilser

As for the alarm, it may have a basic alarm but not the interior monitoring, best way to check is to look at the PR-Codes on the sticker in the boot

The alarm retrofit kit in the link is for an older platform car, so not suitable for the Mk3

E0A = No special edition
1D0 = Without trailer hitch
7UG = Navigation system - High
I8H = High radio (Gen2)
1KT = Disc brakes, rear (Geomet D)
6FM = Components with special surface appearance
1AZ = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)
7MM = Emission standard EU6 plus
1N7 = Dynamic steering
G07 = Front shock absorption
H1V = Tires 225/45 R17
4UP = Drivers and front passenger air bag with knee air bag and front passenger air bag deactivation
L17 = Suspension range 17 installation control only, no requirement forecast
B21 = Special requirement Cyprus
3QC = 3-point seat belts, front
4X3 = Side air bag front with curtain air bag
J0T = Battery 360A (69Ah)
QI6 = Service indicator 30,000 km or 2 year ( variable )
8GU = Alternator 140 A

No, that's it. Plug them in here:
http://igorweb.org/equidec/

The only thing that it might refer to an alarm/immobiliser is:
B21 = Special requirement Cyprus (whatever that means)