Help...recommend me a bike.

oxonskoda

Hello everyone, I need your advice please.

I passed my Mod 2 on Wednesday last week, so now have a full license at the age of forty...something.

I've spent most of this afternoon tying to work out what bike I should buy...and they all look great to me, however, I want to buy something that I won't get bored with, or outgrow, in the next couple of years (not that I'm under any illusions where my riding experience is concerned). The bike will be used for the odd 17 mile commute to work (national speed limit and town), and also for pleasure at the weekend.

I like the look of some of the A2 license compatible bikes (KTM Duke 390, CBR500R)...although I have a full category A license so in a way should I be looking at bikes where a full license is required, and which I might grow into? Would I get bored of these too quickly? I trained on a Yamaha XJ6-N, and really liked it. I've got a budget of around 4K.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received...!

First of all.. Well done! Top stuff (:

Hmm the 47bhp bikes arent going to set the world on fire, but it all depends on what youre used to.

I was quite content on 33bhp for a year or so after i passed my test. That was sort of.. A Golf GTI speed.

But if youve experience with fast stuff in the past, 47 wont suffice after a while.

Id say.. Around 70bhp is a nice amount to be going on with. Quick enough when you want it, but doesnt take Rossi to find the best of it.

The rider is usually the weakest point anyway, so getting experience and growing skill levels is the main thing.

I know a guy with a fireblade who passed his test recently.. He thinks hes the dogs dangles, but realistically.. Hes completely useless. Its not about that.

• Like 1

Congrats on the Pass

Suzuki Bandit ! Quality bike very forgiving and loads of parts available for them. Also for 4K you can get a nice one, and loads of them always for sale.

I've had mine 3 years and still love it. Also a comfortable riding position,used to ride sports but at 41 and a bartered body I can't do it anymore. Lol.

Edited by ClemUK

Sv650 for me. Brilliant bikes. Couldnt recommend enough tbh.

Id still have an SV1000 now but im not sure it suits my needs still. Im thinkin well over 150bhp this time round. Feed the thrill then get something less so.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

4k for a first bike i would be scared to death of dropping it or putting it on floor,

Funley enough i've been looking at sv650's as a first big bike (mod 2 booked for 12th of novemeber) altho i still have a soft spot for a 600 bandit but having had a year on a unfaired ybr125 and getting battered by headwinds at 50mph i don't know if i could live with a faster unfaired bike

4k for a first bike i would be scared to death of dropping it or putting it on floor,

Funley enough i've been looking at sv650's as a first big bike (mod 2 booked for 12th of novemeber) altho i still have a soft spot for a 600 bandit but having had a year on a unfaired ybr125 and getting battered by headwinds at 50mph i don't know if i could live with a faster unfaired bike

The sv650s is the faired version. It looks after you till about 120-130mph when the v-twin runs out of puff. Trust me haha.

The sv650s has quite a nice flat torque curve. It picks up nicely low down.. Relatively flat but picks up at around 7k rpm but then out of puff at 9k roughly.

But its good. Its more than enough to catch up with silly 1000's power rangers that dont have a clue in the bends. Its really quite fun.

I had an imacculate 2001 model for 2 years.

I'd advise that you don't get anything too focussed until you really know what sort of riding you like best. I did and it was a mistake.

Don't worry too much about having too much power, the bike is only as fast as your right wrist. saying that it wouldn't be a great idea to jump onto a 190hp litre bike right now.

I wouldn't get anything restricted. It'll **** you off pretty quickly.

Depends on your inside leg a bit as well what would will like. I agree with most of the suggestions above there are lots of good bikes at that price point.

Fazer 600

Bandit 650

SV650

Z750

£4k will get you a pretty new model of any of those.

If you want something sportier a CBR600 is easy to live with.

Prob best going for something unfaired to start with, Stops you going too fast to start with and if you drop it at low speed it won't cost much.

You don't mention if you have all your kit. If you don't remember to budget for that. Might also be worth getting some crash bungs on it just in case.

Anf get an insurance quote too. First few years on a bike are quite dear but it drops quickly.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice, the SV650 sounds like a possibility. I have most of my kit, but it might need upgrading as it is mostly fairly low budget...Frank Thomas etc. I'm inclined to agree that it might be worth getting a relatively cheap bike for a year or two until I decide what type of riding I do most of.

My only worry is finding a well maintained, well looked after bike.

Thanks everyone.

As others have said congratulations on passing and welcome to the club. 

You don't mention anything about the things like your size and what sort of bike you like the look of ie sport, sport tourer, adventure and so on.  What I would suggest is if you can ride a bigger bike then go for it as others have said already a smaller lower powered one will soon have you bored.

You will need to do a fair bit of homework yourself by going around any shops close to you, looking at the various types and trying them for size.  Not many dealers will be happy to let you have a demo ride but it is always worth asking.  Truth is many of the bikes you like the look of will be ruled out because they are too big or small for your physical size.  Go and have  look and make a short list of what is left and then a  bit of research and the odd question in here should be able to help you more with regards to reliability, practicality and the like.

Oh another thing to remember is you are buying at the best time of the year for you.  They won't be selling many bikes at this time of year and dealers still need to pay bills so something that has been sat on their showroom floor for some time will open to offers without a doubt/

Good luck hunting it will be fun and frustrating in equal amounts. :D

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

Definitely think about the 600 bandit, fazer style or maybe a street triple ? Great first bike, very forgiving engine, loads of torque, light weight and more character than the jap bikes.

The choice is bewildering !

Why not get along to the bike show at the nec end of Nov ? You can look at what takes your fancy and sit on loads all in one place.

2 bikes that haven't been mentioned as yet and are essentially the same bike - naked & clothed :D

Honda CB600F Hornet (naked) and the Honda CBR600F (clothed)

I am being slightly biased here as I had a CBR600F as my first bike and they are a cracking introduction to big bikes.

Depending on what you want, the Hornet is a bit more traditional sit up and beg kind of bike where as the CBR600F is classed as a sports / tourer.

They are both superb bikes for a new rider. Plenty of oomph with around 100bhp but more importantly very easy to ride and very forgiving if you happen to overstep the mark a little.

Being Honda they are pretty bomb proof and you will easily pick up a mint example of either bike for £4k.

Edited by BlueMonster

Thanks guys. Really good advice. I'm 6 foot, but quite like the ability to put both feet flat on the floor!

Good point about this being a good time of year to buy. I'm going to have a look at an SV650 tomorrow, and I'm going to book tickets to the bike show at the NEC.

Thanks all.

Thanks guys. Really good advice. I'm 6 foot, but quite like the ability to put both feet flat on the floor!

Good point about this being a good time of year to buy. I'm going to have a look at an SV650 tomorrow, and I'm going to book tickets to the bike show at the NEC.

Thanks all.

Lovely. What year?

The engines pretty much the same throughout the years.

The earlier curvy ones are carbed.

Point ones are fuel injected and 2007 onwards are twin spark.. Not like that makes much difference though, other than more expensive to change.

Hmm.. Listen for a noisey camchain.

Pitting on the forks is a good giveaway of how its been looked after and wet riding etc.

Id avoid 2003 model year personally. It looks the same as the later years, but quite a few parts are that year specific. So can be difficult to find. Its a sort of, crossover year. Could prove to be a pain.

Regulator rectifiers can go too, so watch out for lights dimming at tickover etc.

Also. Alot of sv's have been raced as part of the mini twins series.. So look out for holes drilled in the oil filler cap, sump plug, rad cap etc where they fit lockwire. Tyre lots lever marks on the wheels etc. Not always easy to spot because standard fairings are put back on in place of race fairings.

• Like 1

Congrats on passing your test mate.

If you're going to the bike show they have a ride out where you can have a go on a few different bikes, might be worth trying to see what type of bike you like/fits you.

I passed my test in 2006, went out the next day and bought an R6 as I'd wanted one since they came out and definitely have not regretted it.  Several years/bikes/trackdays later and I'm still here to tell the tale  :D ......the only crash I've had was on a diesel slick left on a roundabout...... even the cop car that attended lost control on it!

I'd say buy the bike that you want/floats your boat otherwise you'll just be wishing you'd bought something else.

• Like 1

Congratulations on passing your test!

Cant beleive no one has mentioned a Kawasaki ER650F or N. Thats where i would be looking...in fact i will probably pick one up for a general hack some time next year.

As Redrooster says, buy a bike that  floats your boat, when you shut the garage door you have a sneaky peek, when you walk away from it you look back over your shoulder...

• Like 2

Congrats on passing your test......now the learning begins.

One approach is to ask yourself what do you want to do on the bike, Once you have a clear idea then begin the search. I read a lot of good info coming up n this thread. I'd suggest you should get a bike that you are not afraid of riding 'progressively' and from which you can learn some basic mechanics too.

A lot of bikes come with 'idiot aids' or techno-wizardry to help the feckless control the bike, in the beginning learn to ride and properly control a bike without all the gizmos, then later on if or when you thirst after a top end hi power bike whose torque or power cannot be used fully you have then acquired some riding skills to help master the desired machine at reasonable speeds.

Both feet down are a personal choice and something to do with confidence, so perhaps you may find it better to have a bike that facilitates this.

Lastly go I advise you get a cheapy bike, one that you can use all through the year without the worry of getting it mucky/salty in the winter months.

Most of all enjoy.......and watch out for the 4 wheel crazies

Mike

Congrats on the Pass

Suzuki Bandit ! Quality bike very forgiving and loads of parts available for them. Also for 4K you can get a nice one, and loads of them always for sale.

I've had mine 3 years and still love it. Also a comfortable riding position,used to ride sports but at 41 and a bartered body I can't do it anymore. Lol.

Agree with this chap  spot on.  I am now 60 and been a Biker for 40 years.  I am sort of retired and lucky me have two trips abroad each year on my two wheels.  I have a bandit now as needed something a bit smaller in the dimension stakes but still with touring ability hence in 2012 got myself a bandit 1250 when the wife retired from riding on the rear with me (she fly's down to Spain, I ride down and we meet up other end !).  Its about the same size and weight as the 650 but you can ride the thing like a scooter, leave it in top all day with loads Torque and I still get great MPG (getting on for 60 when touring).  The 650 would be great for you as a starter.  Fantastic smooth bomb proof engine.

The SV650 would also be useful, but a bit more character and vibes !  Also more sporty riding position .  Also look at Tiger 800's.  Being more mature in age you should not get hammered on insurance.  (Me on my 1250  Fully comp, 200 excess 90 for year(max no claims) :clap:

I passed a year ago (at age 38) and bought an sv650s the same day. I regretted it after a few weeks as although it felt big at first to an inexperienced rider at 6'1 and 15 stone I looked and felt like a gorilla on it. I also disliked the extreme engine braking, but for the price it was a very solid bike and easy to ride. Luckily I traded it after 3 months back to the dealer for more than I paid for it.

Bought an mt09 in the end. Naked keeps your speed down and flat bars and weight help with learning to ride better. Only draw back is the throttle mapping is a bit abrupt- does teach you to regulate your right wrist though.

I went and sat on a few bikes today and have to agree,

I sat on an SV and realised they wern't as big as i thought they were infact it was next to an er6 that i did my test on and they were same size,

I then went abit further round and sat on a CBF600 and instantly felt at home even though it was a faired one and i prefer naked ones

I then went abit further round and sat on a CBF600 and instantly felt at home even though it was a faired one and i prefer naked ones

CBR600 is ludicrously easy to ride. If you're not careful you can find yourself doing silly speeds without trying.

Hornet 600 has the detuned engine from a previous generation of CBR. It's pretty popular but I believe the tank is a bit small.