LifeShine - how do you check its been applied?

Bought my latest car new and for first time succumb to the salesmanship perk ie had LifeShine applied.

But how do I check its been done?

Salesman forgot to register the warranty and all I've really got to show is a bag full of Autglym bits,a sticker in the windscreen and a paid invoice for the treatment. I have now received warranty documents

For all I know the car could have been just polished up which didn't take much as it was new!

Is there any positive way to check that the car has been treated. When I wash it I can't see any difference in the water beading or bodywork shining to my other car which hasn't been treated!

Ok I'm a naturally suspicious person !!!

Dear oh dear!!

Another dealer pretending to apply Lifeshine

Had exactly the same problem years ago when it was done for 'Free' and I didn't know better

Got the box and goodies..When I complained they didn't want to know..I complained to AutoGlym..They didn't want to know

I gave up..as it was supposedly done free and walked away..I should have fought harder...but didn't

Its cra''p anyway..lasts about 4 months only

• Like 1

As Chris said.....had it on the citigo, even with doing as the booklet said it didn't stop anything.

After a few months I noticed fallout everywhere.

Only as good as the person applying it.

I would recommend doing it yourself or paying someone like Chris (chap above) to detail and protect it for you.

I was tempted, but in the end opt'd to do it myself. Read a lot of reviews on waxes, and in the end went with 'Autoglym 150g High Definition Wax', a snip at £39 from Amazon. Yet to apply as weather been poor, but certainly a bit cheaper than £250!

I've just bought the full kit for 15 quid. Not even going to use the paint stuff as I have Zymol Concours which is a million times better. Just wanted the interior stuff and the paint stuff I'm going to put on the mother in laws car.

No I've never had the need for it. They also tried to flog me smart insurance to deal with stone chips etc but when I looked at the policy there were so many exclusions it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on.

It's about time that the Office of Fair Trading had a good look at car sales and ancillary practices!

In my case..I noticed that the car, which had been in the showroom had a small finger mark on the inside of the screen and some dust on the back seat

It was still there after they were supposed to have sealed the glass and interior fabric and carpets....They denied it all!!

What you can do is pour some water on the seats..if it balls up and stays on the surface, its been treated

As regard to paintwork....very little you can prove, but even if they have it wont have been applied correctly...they simply don't have the time

Its only sealant anyway and can be bought on eBay for £10

I had it done on mine back in 2013. The bodywork treatment was good but only lasted 3-4 months. The interior is where the value is - the kids have spilt god knows what in the back and its been easy to clean.

Its not worth the £250 though - take to a detailer. 

What product(s) are used on the interior to seal it and make it water resistant? I had x1 application of Lifeshine applied to mine by the dealer FOC before I got it, to be fair they did a pretty good job on the outside, no complaints at all. Don't think they put it on the interior though, certainly not on the mats, and I wouldn't mind putting some on. Cannot find anything on AG's website that says what it is though...

do you just spray that fabric sealant on or is there more to it?

Nanolex instructions:

Nanolex Textile & Leather Sealant should be applied in a warm, dry, well-ventilated space out of direct sunlight. To protect your skin, we recommend wearing PB Nitrile Gloves during the application process. To achieve the expected performance benefits associated with Nanolex Textile & Leather Sealant, you must ensure that the surfaces to be treated are spotlessly clean and dry. If any pre-cleaning is required, a dedicated fabric or leather cleaner such as Blackfire Interior Cleaner should be used and the treated surfaces then left to dry naturally.

Nanolex Textile & Leather Sealant should be sprayed on liberally and then rubbed in gently with gloved hands before being left to dry naturally for a minimum of 24 hours. Once dry, lightly mist the finish with water, as this will enable you to spot any areas where insufficient protection has been added (the tell-tale sign is a lack of prominent water beading). If such areas are apparent, apply a further coat to ensure that maximum protection is achieved. Any overspray onto adjacent surfaces should be wiped off immediately with a Nanolex Microfibre Buffing Towel.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

10 years, not a chance, you will be lucky if it lasts 6 months.

All these coatings are just marketing gimmicks to rip of the unsuspecting punter by thinking if he pays more he is getting a better product.

The more notable one is Williams ceramic coat, not actually Williams but a company who pays to use the name. I was asked when I bought my car if i wanted it, I said no, and they most of thought I was going to say yes, so they but it on. So I got it for free, and guess what, it's crap, lasted for 2 months

This topic has b******** all to do with GAP insurance so why does it get mentioned. Probably a smart arse 'thinking' it's worthless. THE TOPIC IS LIFESHINE.

Edited by DonjSZ5

There are that many examples on here of skodas very poor paint quality so either you fall into the following:

1. You don't have any paint protection applied as to adopt the analogy "why Polish a t##d"

Or

2. The paint is such a poor finish then you need the aftermarket products to ensure the paint stays on the car.

I think if you were keeping the car get aftermarket paint protection elsewhere. Firstly though I would check your cars paint finish very thoroughly.

I had some gardex pack on car years ago. I never kept the car long enough to see if it lived up to its claims of years of paint preservation. That's for someone else to muse over.

Best way to keep your paint healthy, wash the car frequently, Polish and also don't live by the sea.

We had lifeshine applied to a VW Polo some years ago and all the while we had it, proved supremely easy to keep clean outside including the wheels.

The interior protection didnt seem to work properly though...the seats got some water on them and watermarked terribly. I suspect they either didnt do the interior properly or perhaps not at all.

I dont think AG products are poor, its more how its applied...if its done properly it should last a while

I agree with all the comments on how its applied as i think that makes a big difference. However saying these products last 6 months or more is misleading, is that 6 months plus for a garaged car that does 10 miles a month, or a car that is regularly driven and sits outside.

I bought lifeline of E bay for my old car, and it was sealed, it lasted a few months before the water stopped beading.

Not to mention most coating technology's show people using waxes on top, the chemical guys being one. you know they sell a wax that cost the best part of a grand and is in a cnc alu box. its complete rubbish to think it will be proportional better than a wax costing 10 quid.

there is a saying, fools and money are easily parted.

getting back to the original question its very difficult indeed to tell if its been put on. the stuffs like water and its incredibly thin coating. maybe a pro will be able to tell, one think for sure i only new it was put on my old car as i did it, and the water bead was good for a few months, from your prospective it could be anything that have put on. You really can only go on there word.

Edited by Alpha2110