Leather care protection and preservation

The seats are leather but only the bit you sit on, there is a product that you apply and never reapply, just use a damp cloth, had it on my MK 2 and it was nearly 7 years old and the seats where nearly like new!

Not be able to trace the product so got some dodo juice which has won awards.

Plenty to choose from. I've used Dr Leather Wipes; Gliptone (both conditioner and cleaner); and now use GTechniq L1

Remember that the leather in the Skoda are fake.

Is it lol ! I didn't know that ! So I don't have to worry about cracking etc ?

Do these leather treatments make the seats really slippy ?

I did the "leather" seats in my Yeti with some leather wipes that we use for our sofa, and I was sliding all over the place on the seats afterwards. Wrong choice of product maybe ?

I've used Dr Leather in previous cars...  Be careful as it leaves your hands with a strong smell of ..................... leather!!  Lasted for days (love the smell)

Do these leather treatments make the seats really slippy ?

I did the "leather" seats in my Yeti with some leather wipes that we use for our sofa, and I was sliding all over the place on the seats afterwards. Wrong choice of product maybe ?

Yes

Something like the Dr Leather wipes (or spray) will leave the leather with a satin non slippy finish.

The seats are Leather facings and artificial side and back. This is the same as all Superbs have had, they used to say leather seats, later saying not full leather, but not having seen the new brochures do not know how they are advertising them now. I just saw my new MkII in the dealers and just bought it. Just wipe with a damp cloth, as I don't keep a car more that 12 months I don't get special cleaners or presdervers.

Just wipe with a damp cloth, as I don't keep a car more that 12 months I don't get special cleaners or presdervers.

I don't use any special leather products on the seats.  Tried them once and never again due to creaking and the seats feeling very sliding after applying them.  I use a damp cloth (warm water, but not too warm) and use this treatment regularly.  It works for me.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Leather in modern cars is already sealed from factory, so adding leather 'feeds' and conditioners just leaves an oily film that attracts dirt and looks dull in quick time. I have the half leather / alcantara and just used some of my Gtechniq C6 matt dash protector to cover the leather bolster and sides/rear/headrest when I was doing the dash and doorcards. The C6 is the same product as the L1 by the looks of things (same size, same price, same bottle), and it - C6 - says it seals and protects from UV, dirt etc on plastics, vinyl and leather. Job jobbed.

From some checking around, simply do not use a cleaner that has silicone in it otherwise you will end up in the footwell :)

I use a leather wipe just to keep clean, and a non silicon leather furnture polish and follow instructions around drying.

This is my 1st car with leather and with having heated seats want to try to keep them supple for as long as possible.

• Like 1

Another vote here for Dr Leather wipes to clean and Gtechniq L1 for protection. I asked the same thing back in 2014 when I got the car and they were the most recommended by others. I've used them ever since without any issues at all. I bought one of the big buckets of the wipes as it worked out a lot cheaper overall.

In fact that reminds me the seats are due a clean and protect session right about now. :)

So when it says "Leather upholstery", it's not actually leather?

Correct, only the part you sit on, and the back centre section are leather (Base and the seat back where you make contact with the seat. The rest of the seat is leatherette. You can tell the difference, by using a cleaner as you'll find any leather care product will just sit on the leatherette and do nothing until you wipe it off.

My A8 and Volvo S60 are full leather, and the seats behave very differently to those in the Superb when treated with care products.

Edited by mannyo
  • Like 1

I have used Dr Leather wipes and they are very good. I can also recommend LTT Leather Care's protect and maintain products as i have found these give a really nice even finish and prevent the leather going shiny. 

Always used Gliptone. It's cheaper to buy direct from them than through a detailer.

Totally OT but philpix I have to say your avatar is THE best avatar on Briskoda. :D

Given the Forum, does that make us SuperB Bladesmen from the Lane then?

(Season ticket holder for years until moving away 2yrs ago...sniff)

haha yeah never thought of that..... Works perfectly. :D

"You fill up my Superb....." :) :) :)

Edited by WaveyDavey
  • Like 2