VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

1 hour ago, Tony R said:

Possibly some help from an unexpected source         http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/economy/eus-car-regulator-warns-against-car-diesel-ban-in-cities/ar-AAoB8YC?li=AAnZ9Ug&ocid=U348DHP    and I don't know if others find this site more difficult now to operate than before?

More news :-    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/23/business/bmw-denies-colluding-with-carmakers-on-emissions-equipment.html?emc=edit_mbe_20170724&nl=morning-briefing-europe&nlid=72533936&te=1

On 27 July 2017 at 15:27, vrskeith said:
On 23 July 2017 at 23:25, Tony R said:
On 23 July 2017 at 23:25, Tony R said:
On 02 April 2017 at 10:11, Wino said:

To achieve the necessary 'corrections' with software and hardware changes, with minimal inconvenience to owners, and 'there's no difference at all' reaction from most owners is good going.

This strikes me as a well-informed analysis of the flow rectifier's function:

I have no formal engineering qualification. :)

This sounds  serious?    https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal?gclid=COHI6eXDttUCFYQ4GwodlacPWAhttps://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal?gclid=COHI6eXDttUCFYQ4GwodlacPWA

btw, has anyone found out how to make  a posting without referring to a previous message?

5 minutes ago, Tony R said:

This sounds  serious?    https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal?gclid=COHI6eXDttUCFYQ4GwodlacPWAhttps://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal?gclid=COHI6eXDttUCFYQ4GwodlacPWA

btw, has anyone found out how to make  a posting without referring to a previous message?

The link referred to above  may well be      https://www.caremissionslawyers.co.uk/vw-diesel-emissions-scandal?gclid=COHI6eXDttUCFYQ4GwodlacPWA

21 minutes ago, Wino said:

20170801_182724.jpg

Thanks  but I find more often than not, it doesn't work. I think I read recently  the site managers updated it, since when it has got worse overall

35 minutes ago, Tony R said:

Thanks  but I find more often than not, it doesn't work. I think I read recently  the site managers updated it, since when it has got worse overall

Always from the same computer, or have you tried others? I'd imagine it's a problem at your end, rather than with the site, as everybody would be complaining if they were all struggling like you seem to be.

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Always from the same computer, or have you tried others? I'd imagine it's a problem at your end, rather than with the site, as everybody would be complaining if they were all struggling like you seem to be.

I live alternatively in 2 places and have a computer in each location and the problem persists at each place, but you may be correct in saying the problem  is down to me, and actually me  in that I am no  genius as computers go!, and even less with Smartphones, my current on is a One plus three, a more confusing machine I have ever come across, available only in o2 shops where all the staff rave about the blessed things but they are well versed in the art of working them. No phone comes with a manual of instructions, which in my opinion they should do.

So the 'Rogue Engineer' that was not even an employee at the outset of the VW Group Emission Fraud has his guilty plea made in the USA.

Lying was his problem it appears.

I seriously hope he gets a deal & leniency from the US Justice system if he tells all the names of all involved in Europe, US and the Rest of the World as he knows it

and then the USA & other Countries can get on pursuing those at the top that actually were responsible for the Conspiracy to Defraud.

If he does not get a deal, or take a deal because the VW Group board are paying for his silence then so be it.

Up to 7 years jail time in the US can not be a nice thing surely.

Edited by Awayoffski

A most interesting video.

So the software fix not only removes the code that fools testing apparatus but actually does try to reduce NOx by making the EGR valve work harder by sending more exhaust gas back into the inlet which reduces combustion temperatures which supposedly reduces NOx.

But according to the video it is pretty much ineffective at doing this and NOx remain unchanged.

Even worse of course is when the EGR valve is already sooted up it cant work any harder and this leads to premature failure.

Blimey how can VW be so incompetent?

66,000 miles in my Yeti so my EGR probably has a bit of soot and there is no way I am having the fix!

Seems the only effective way to reduce NOx is with chemical exhaust treatments like AdBlu which is the way most Euro 6 Vehicles have gone.

Is there a single German company involved in diesel engines that isn't guilty of fraud and collusion with other manufacturers and component suppliers?.

It seems the German export miracle is unraveling and reputations are in desperate need of repair.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Is there a single German company involved in diesel engines that isn't guilty of fraud and collusion with other manufacturers and component suppliers?.

It seems the German export miracle is unraveling and reputations are in desperate need of repair.

I realised a long time ago that German companies are past masters at advertising and build their products up  to  what they are not, either in quality or " performance " and in that I don't mean cars necessarily, although I must admit I was shocked to find out from bitter experience some things did shock me, viz in a Passat diesel I had 15 yrs ago and experienced increasing difficulty in getting the blessed thing started. In the end I found out it was due to some " fuse " hidden away under the bulk head in the engine department, a  VERY " ****y " insignificant fragile  small piece of metal which cost 10p to replace. I thought to myself at the time  how could a car manufacturer  make an engine dependent upon such a stupidly weak item.  But with many items over the years I was forced to conclude German companies do over represent their products. The fact is however, the Germans are  a brilliant race at inventing things, some  wartime ones of which have not really  " seen the light  of day " even now.  The something something lantern, made everything implode as opposed to explode and " flying saucer " in which Hanna Reisch? supposedly flew to N. Zealand and back in under 2 hrs.

I always wondered why it took HONDA so long to produce a good Diesel engine to meet American and EU requirements......................please no links to Formula one

47 minutes ago, Sad555 said:

I always wondered why it took HONDA so long to produce a good Diesel engine to meet American and EU requirements......................please no links to Formula one

Exactly!

And they actually do care about public perception of their products.

2 hours ago, Tony R said:

I realised a long time ago that German companies are past masters at advertising and build their products up  to  what they are not, either in quality or " performance " and in that I don't mean cars necessarily, although I must admit I was shocked to find out from bitter experience some things did shock me, viz in a Passat diesel I had 15 yrs ago and experienced increasing difficulty in getting the blessed thing started. In the end I found out it was due to some " fuse " hidden away under the bulk head in the engine department, a  VERY " ****y " insignificant fragile  small piece of metal which cost 10p to replace. I thought to myself at the time  how could a car manufacturer  make an engine dependent upon such a stupidly weak item.  But with many items over the years I was forced to conclude German companies do over represent their products. The fact is however, the Germans are  a brilliant race at inventing things, some  wartime ones of which have not really  " seen the light  of day " even now.  The something something lantern, made everything implode as opposed to explode and " flying saucer " in which Hanna Reisch? supposedly flew to N. Zealand and back in under 2 hrs.

Careful Tony!........... remember, German - reliable,  French - UNreliable. Repeat hourly.

21 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Careful Tony!........... remember, German - reliable,  French - UNreliable. Repeat hourly.

Thanks but reliability  is one thing but over  describing is another thing. As for reliability I have had 2 French cars, long ago  when I relied upon my father  to  " look  after " the mechanical side for me. I came home one afternoon with a  Citroen LT 15  I had purchased  privately in nearby Hythe. When I opened  one side of the bonnet my father said " what are those rods " to which I explained  they are for changing the gears, so where is the gearbox he asked. Up in front of the engine I said, along with the clutch, WHAT!, he exclaimed, these   people don't know how to put a car together , you are not keeping this, and made me (18 yrs old ) take it back, which the vendor agreed to re-advertise in the car in the Local Evening Echo  and if resold, give me my money back, which is what happened. The other was a Peugeot 403 from the local auction ( SMAM ) in the most fantastic condition imaginable, dark blue with 2 tone grey interior, circa 60k on the clock if memory serves me correctly. Got that home  but it drove in a jerky way, father lifted  up the bonnet, found the distributor  body was moving , drilled a whole  in the engine somewhere , screwed the distributor steady and everything was alright . That car went all up into the Arctic Circle and all around Europe , got stuck in traffic around the Arc de Triomphe and  the clutch started to smoke ( I thought that's all we want, konking out  in this place )  but we eventually  got out but going around a roundabout in Belgium on the way back, I depressed the clutch which seemed to go " very light ", ie was on it's last legs. How I eased that  fully laden car back to the port and all the way  when in England back to Southampton I will never know. Turned out the clutch was hanging on by 1 of 6 or 8 springs?. The 4 speed column gear change was unbelievably precise, lovely movement, even garages in France said what a lovely car it was. That was all when I was late teens or early 20's. Soooooo long ago.