Xenon lights calibrating on engine start

I watched a YouTube video that shows a O3 vrs starting at night, the Xenons lower, move out then come back in and level up.... Mine doesn't seem to do this? They are set to auto and the dynamic cornering function works as I can see the beam move with the steering, am I missing something simple or does it just not do it like the YouTube car did?

The calibration is starting righ in few seconds after you start the engine. So if you start the engine and you not turn on the lights immediately, you won't see the calibration. Maybe is this. Try to turn the lights right after the engine.

My vRS does this each time I startup & I also have my lights on Auto.

When you start, are you on a level ground as perhaps it is disabled when starting on a slope ?

My MY15 vRS always does it - also always on Auto.

Are they really calibrating?  I rather thought the "dance" was there just to amuse me and, particularly, passengers who haven't seen it before!  Rather like the way the speedo and tacho pointers move all the way to maximum and back when you turn on the ignition.

Either way, I like it.

I believe the adaptive functionality (apart from self levelling) does not work unless left in auto, as to why the self test does not happen unless set to auto.

Edited by pipsypreturns

Last night there was lots of fog. And I notice every time when I unlock my car Xenons to the thing, But didn't notice when turning lights turning.

Last night there was lots of fog. And I notice every time when I unlock my car Xenons to the thing, But didn't notice when turning lights turning.

What drive mode were you in, and what speed were you travelling at?

Eco mode disables the cornering function of the Xenons, and if you are travelling at less than 40kph (I think) you only have cornering fogs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Front fogs?

I'll have to try that, I don't use the fogs often, and if I do it is normally foggy so the last thing I am concentrating on is the Dynamic Cornering Function of AFS!

Haha quite!

Yes, the front fogs; when they're on the headlights don't swivel :).

• Like 1

Maybe it does but seems less obvious.....sure when you turn the fogs on the lights go into fog mode and "may" not corner. Tried it last night and just couldnt tell.

My GTD may behave differently to an O3 with adaptive xenons to be fair...it also has LED fogs which almost completely overtake the light output from the Xenons on dipped beam :-)

and if you are travelling at less than 40kph (I think) you only have cornering fogs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

The Xenons on mine turn no matter how slow Im going. So it doesnt seem to have anything to do with speed whether they turn or not.

The Xenons on mine turn no matter how slow Im going. So it doesnt seem to have anything to do with speed whether they turn or not.

Odd, as my don't - just tried it whilst on the drive stationary, engine running, sports mode, lights in auto, steering from full lock to full lock, just got cornering fogs, xenons didn't move a millimetre.

According to the manual

Dynamic cornering lights

The cone of light in front of the vehicle is adjusted to the steering angle so that the road in the curve is illuminated. This function is active at speeds greater than 10 km.h and in all AFS modes.

Edited by andyvee

Yes the adaptive cornering only works above the speed threshold that would normally see static cornering fogs working..which I believe are optional (can be coded) on a vRS.

The Golf is quite unusual....it has regular fogs but the static cornering lamps are built into the bi-xenons, shining out of the side of bi-xenon cluster.....to be fair running main beams and the LED fogs on that thing could bring planes down.

Much like peoples complaints of the Octavia xenons on dipped beam the Golfs lights are loads better than halogen but not the brightest xenons Ive seen...as soo as the lamp covers start getting a little dirty you really notice the light output difference between that and the car being spotlessly clean after a wash.