TG news

Aspman

Slightly OT, if the new TG is crap, has anyone gone down the route of buying an Amazon firestick with Kodi on it in preparation for watching the new Amazon TG? If so, any good? Hints, tips appreciated....

Slightly OT, if the new TG is crap, has anyone gone down the route of buying an Amazon firestick with Kodi on it in preparation for watching the new Amazon TG? If so, any good? Hints, tips appreciated....

I do have a firestick but to be honest I've not used it much because I prefer casting, the Firestick itself seemed fine in use though. Not much use I know but thought better to give you a response rather than nothing.

John

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

^looks to be the same as the last version of TG. Chris Evans throwing up might be the highlight of the series, well he usually makes me want to throw up.

I use kodi on Mac, but thinking about a new raspberry pi 3. Should be awesome for the job.

I don't dislike Evans....to be honest anyone who takes the lead in a global TV show will always have those 'for and against' - not an easy role to fill.

TopGear was not a car show as such, just easy fun loving TV which featured three blokes, a racing driver and lots of car related mayhem and hooning.

I'm hoping the new batch of programmes will continue in the same vein.

If I actually want to find out about cars, I'll visit Briskoda or PistonHeads online or buy a copy of EVO/CAR/Classic and Sportscar/Autocar/autoexpress (insert your own preference as needed)  ;)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

"The other show"

Still far more amusing than the top gear trailer that was on iplayer recently.

If Clarkson wanted a Genesis title for the new show I would have thought 'turn it on again' might be appropriate.

I must be the only person who liked the really old top gear, the one where the focus was being an informative car show, rather than 3 overgrown kids being dicks and being immature?

• Like 1

I must be the only person who liked the really old top gear, the one where the focus was being an informative car show, rather than 3 overgrown kids being dicks and being immature?

Isn't that fifth gear?

I have to say I don't watch car shows, if I actually want car info the Internet is far better than some 5min slot on a car that's probably not the specific one I want.

Telegraph cars and car buyer on YouTube are far better than fifth gear imho.

Top gear to me was more of a comedy and I'm not sure the BBC quiet understands that.

"The other show"

Still far more amusing than the top gear trailer that was on iplayer recently.

Looks promising, I think TG is now aimed at those of us who spend too much time reading car mag's, watching car tube video's, on car forums and probably folks who have been driving for several decades or more. The TG program assumes you know the subject and can fill in the blanks yourself.  :sun: I have given up on fifth gear, seemingly every new series is on a different channel and tiff thinks if he spend 15 min going sideways it has to be a great show.  :devil:

I like Hot Version. Ok it's in Japanese but I like how detailed they get. Tuners are big out there so you have tuner cars going head to head. Imagine here having the Golf R tuned by APR vs Shark vs Revo, etc?

Even Evo are doing car tests like them now

• 2 months later...

So Chris Evans is to go after much criticism.

Damn shame in my eyes, he was getting well into the swing of it and I preferred it to the old show which had got past its best.

Of course the first few shows are bumpy and clumsy with odd chemistry between hosts, but watch the old trio in their first shows together....everyone is used to the old trio, so as such the job of replacing them is virtually impossible.

I am sad as he was developing into a great lead host and the last shows of the new series have been excellent.

He should have been given a fair chance.......what is wrong with people?

If a replacement was needed, but it looks like they had more than enough presenters.

Eddie Jordan could maybe do the decent thing and resign as well.

Have a car show & take out those contribute not much including any actual comedy moments.

So Chris Evans is to go after much criticism.

Damn shame in my eyes, he was getting well into the swing of it and I preferred it to the old show which had got past its best.

Of course the first few shows are bumpy and clumsy with odd chemistry between hosts, but watch the old trio in their first shows together....everyone is used to the old trio, so as such the job of replacing them is virtually impossible.

I am sad as he was developing into a great lead host and the last shows of the new series have been excellent.

He should have been given a fair chance.......what is wrong with people?

I wasn't against him getting the job. He did some good telly before and I don't mind the R2 show. But It just wasn't working on TG.

We'll never know who made the decision to keep the 90% the same as Clarksons but it was totally wrong. Maybe if Evans had had a free hand to recreate it might have been different. Maybe it was himself that decided to be Clarkson lite. Didn't work either way.

I think they should drop EJ unless they can find him a proper job in the show. Shame the beeb doesn't have F1 any more he could have bridged TG with the F1 coverage.

• Like 1

So is joey leaving too?

His contract was for 12 months I read.

Don't know if they are planning another run this year.

I'm sure they'll drag it out to get press coverage. If he's gone down well stateside the beeb will want to keep him and he'll ask for more money.

Coming in from a slightly different angle..........Fifth Gear has apparently died for the last time. This would leave Mr. Needel and Ms. Benson-and-Hedges free............

Coming in from a slightly different angle..........Fifth Gear has apparently died for the last time. This would leave Mr. Needel and Ms. Benson-and-Hedges free............

Mixing them with Sabine would be, shall we say interesting?