667 miles in the first week with Yeti 1.4TSI L&K

Austerby

Picked up my new Yeti last Tuesday and parked it this evening with 667 miles on the clock. Most of those today: a 450 mile return trip from SE London to  mid-Devon to visit elderly parents, about a four hour drive each way (A2, M25, M3, A303, A30, M5), but also a Christmas visit to Whitstable on the north Kent coast. A lot of driving but I'm hugely impressed with the Yeti and the 1.4TSI engine, as well as the comfort of the L&K spec. It's great on motorways and twisty Kentish and Devonshire lanes, great overtaking ability and good mid-range acceleration. Very comfortable and a generally good or very good ride on most surfaces. 36mpg overall but this at motorway cruising speeds around 70+mph. 

I'm very happy indeed with the Yeti and look forward to many more miles in her.

The only bit that I've noticed is perhaps a slight weakness is the lack of torque at low speeds - several times I've found myself in too high a gear at a roundabout or other junction where I slow down but don't need to come to a complete stop in order to nip out into a gap but find she doesn't respond as quickly as the larger engined cars I've had previously. Drop a gear though and she's fine - I'm pleased to have the manual gearbox rather than the DSG on this model so it's just something for me to get used to. I had a 2CV once so know how to get what I want out of a gearbox. 

• Like 1

Thanks for that Austerby.

I also collected my 1.4tsi L&K last Tuesday but due to family life getting in the way I have done less than 100 miles so far all on local roads.

Mine is replacing a 140bhp diesel but so far I have not noticed a lack of power although more revs are sometimes needed for 30-50 acceleration than the diesel.

My last petrol engined car was a 2.7ltr flat 6 so slightly different to a 1.4 turbo.

Very impressed still with the smoothness and lack of engine noise.

Austerby, good to hear your initial impressions, keep 'em coming. I'm interested in the 1.4 engine characteristics as that may be my next choice. As I have previously posted, you will have to wait several thousand miles for the engine to 'bed in' and achieve the best fuel consumption and driveability. Mine regularly posts over 40 mpg on 70 mph runs.

With the 6 speed gearbox, you do sometimes have to change down for more speed but I suppose they decided 6 gears were necessary for fuel economy with such a small engine for the size of car.

Enjoy yours, I love mine......

@awfabia I switched from a 1.2 yeti to a 1.4 Octavia and the engine is an absolute delight, no shortage of power. I imagine it will be similar in the yeti though with poorer economy due to the aerodynamics

I currently drive a 1.2 DSG Yeti and am looking at the 1.4 Tsi, hoping Skoda will introduce a 1.4 DSG sometime soon! I am particularly interested in the true average MPG you get from the 1.4 TSi over many months. I get over 41 MPG from my 1.2 DSG and wonder if the more powerful 1.4 will be much less economic.

• Like 1

... I'm hugely impressed with the Yeti and the 1.4TSI engine, as well as the comfort of the L&K spec. It's great on motorways and twisty Kentish and Devonshire lanes, great overtaking ability and good mid-range acceleration. Very comfortable and a generally good or very good ride on most surfaces. 36mpg overall but this at motorway cruising speeds around 70+mph. ...

I currently drive a 1.2 DSG Yeti and am looking at the 1.4 Tsi, hoping Skoda will introduce a 1.4 DSG sometime soon! I am particularly interested in the true average MPG you get from the 1.4 TSi over many months. I get over 41 MPG from my 1.2 DSG and wonder if the more powerful 1.4 will be much less economic.

+1 for the idea of a 1.4 TSi 140PS alternative to the 1.2 across the range. Or maybe the Golf GTE hybrid drivetrain (204PS, 270Nm) on SEL / L&K  :)

Still running my 1.2 DSG in and getting 38mpg on average involving an indicated 75+ on motorways. Very glad I went DSG.

• Like 1

Over 4 years my 1.2 yeti averaged 38 mpg. So far the 1.4 octavia is at least 10mpg better than that, occasionally it's in the low 50s mpg.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Thinking seriously about a Yeti after a disappointing year with a Seat Leon. In view of low annual mileage preferred engine choice would be 1.4 TSI but as yet this is only available on L & K which is overspecified for me. SE would be fine and a 150ps diesel SE to my preferred spec would be around £1800 less than petrol L & K.

Have asked Skoda Customer Service if the 1.4 TSI is likely to become more widely available and they replied: "There is no information regarding the 1.4TSI being available in any other specification" which I take as a no.

So it comes to a choice between spending £1800 on bits I don't want (though I appreciate I should recover some of that on resale) or go back to diesel (owned and liked diesels for over 20 years until recently but all pre-DPF and my mileage was higher then).

I only do 5-7,000 a year but rarely make a journey of less than 20 miles (we use my wifes Mii for that) and usually 50+, and my concern is whether that pattern of usage would be enough for the DPF to regenerate.

Any thoughts/experiences much appreciated.

Thinking seriously about a Yeti after a disappointing year with a Seat Leon. In view of low annual mileage preferred engine choice would be 1.4 TSI but as yet this is only available on L & K which is overspecified for me. SE would be fine and a 150ps diesel SE to my preferred spec would be around £1800 less than petrol L & K.

Have asked Skoda Customer Service if the 1.4 TSI is likely to become more widely available and they replied: "There is no information regarding the 1.4TSI being available in any other specification" which I take as a no.

So it comes to a choice between spending £1800 on bits I don't want (though I appreciate I should recover some of that on resale) or go back to diesel (owned and liked diesels for over 20 years until recently but all pre-DPF and my mileage was higher then).

I only do 5-7,000 a year but rarely make a journey of less than 20 miles (we use my wifes Mii for that) and usually 50+, and my concern is whether that pattern of usage would be enough for the DPF to regenerate.

I too have spoken to Skoda UK today, to ask if there's any likelihood of the 1.4Tsi becoming available in the UK with DSG gearbox. (I know this has been covered before, but i thought I'd try).

The very helpful chap spoke to "UK Sales" who advised that each market decides what versions will sell and which won't, and then base their product range accordingly. Skoda UK market research (who do they ask?) indicates that there is no demand for a 1.4Tsi DSG so there are no plans to bring it to the UK. Same goes for 1.4Tsi manual in trim levels other than L&K.

They feel that the 1.2 satisfies the UK's market requirement for petrol models at lower trim levels.

He did say that if I was prepared to provide my contact details, my interest would be recorded on their system (and they would not use the info to try to sell me anything). So I did!

Oh well...!

Edited by speedsport

I've bought mine  - 1.4 L&K - on PCH deal from Simpsons Skoda. Currently £1,990 down, then 23 monthly payments of £135. It was only £124/month when I ordered mine, but even the current figure is cheap. All these figures include VAT.

The above figures include metallic paint and 2 years road tax and are based on 8k miles p.a., so appear to fit your needs nicely. The cars are always to customer order (i.e. not from stock), so you can order any options/colour as you see fit, though it's best not to go mad as you'll be gifting them to Skoda at the end of the two years. The L&K is well kitted anyway. Over two years/16k miles, the only other costs I can see coming up are for one service (currently that's about £190 for the 1.4, best taken at 12 months so you'll see the benefit of it, not the next owner) and fuel, which it drinks at about 35-40mpg going by what others on the forum say. Virtually everyone here is seeing well over 16k miles out of their tyres, so unless you're unlucky with punctures, you won't have to worry about them. There's some paranoia about wear and tear at end of term, but I don't see that as any different to what you'd have levelled at you if you bought the car on a PCP and decided to hand the keys back at the end of it (you don't own the car then either, but will have paid a whole lot more for the pleasure, and for a longer period too).

I had to think long and hard about this. I hated the idea of 'renting' a car. I like to own things. But there were some persuasive folks here who made me see the light. Do the sums: 1,990 + (23 x 135) = £5,095. That includes your road tax. List price is c.£25k with metallic paint. Will it be worth 80% of list after two years/16k miles? I very much doubt it. Show me any new car that will be? The total you'll pay out over the term is less than the car will suffer in depreciation, so there's no point in buying it. OK, so you'll hand it back after two years and have nothing to show for it; but you'd lose more if you bought it on a PCP. Even if you buy the car cash, you'll get bitten by the depreciation. Everyone bears that cross; some just carry it more lightly than others.

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1

Going to the local dealership next week and will explore all options - but how cheap is "cheap" if you don't mind my asking?

They're offering 0% and £750 deposit contribution at the moment.  If you get a PCP on a low mileage for 3.5 years the payments can be very small with no interest to pay.

What kind of mileage and deposit would you put in?

PCH can be cheaper (as in the example above) but you have to be more careful about condition and mileage than with PCP.

Edited by rriggs

I don't think there's much to choose between them when it comes to over-mileage. PCH is 7.2p/mile, PCP 6p/mile, so it'll be similar cost whichever way you go. As for the condition at hand-back - on a PCP where do you stand if you just hand the keys back at the end of the term and there's a big dent in the wing? As the constant torrent of radio ads like to remind me 'you do not own the car until it is paid for in full' or words to that effect. So are you liable for the repair to what is someone else's property?

I've just run the figures through the Skoda finance calculator for a PCP. Assuming a deposit of £1,990 to keep the playing field level:

Deposit £1,990 (+ Skoda contribution of £750), then:

@ 5k miles p.a. - 23 monthlies of £340.50, plus £14,388 at the end if you want to keep the car. (That figure alone is telling, when estimating the depreciation!)

@10k miles p.a. - 23 monthlies of £363.79, plus £13,852 at the end.

Edited by Citigopher

The difference is that with PCH you have to pay the over mileage but with PCP you only pay the over mileage if you choose to hand the car back.  With PCH you can only hand it back.  With PCP, settle it early, take out new finance to keep it or just pay it off and you don't pay the excess mileage charge.

With PCP any damage above normal wear and tear and this will be deducted from the guaranteed value - but only if you hand it back!  Keep the car or pay it off and sell it yourself and it doesn't apply.  So, to answer your question, you are liable for repairing someone else's property - That's why you will find that all car finance agreements require you to have fully comp regardless of your own preference. 

The figures sound about right that you got from the calculator and depreciation is a factor but if you want to really scare yourself find a car which isn't a Yeti but has a similar OTR price and see what their figures look like!  Compared to other cars Yetis have really good depreciation which combined with 0% finance makes them much cheaper than any of the opposition...

Edited by rriggs

rrigs & Citigopher - many thanks for your full and interesting comments. It looks like being a brain hurting exercise to go through the various options! Have also tended to shy away from finance/lease options in the past but will be looking at them seriously this time around.

I suspect the 'market research' was done before the emissions scandal and recent bad press for diesels in general. I suspect if enough people call them and start asking the same question they will rethink (if production allows).

I too would take a 1.4 TSI over my 110 TDI, but found the 1.2 TSI too slow for my taste. Not so bothered for 4x4 though.

Ideal would be 1.4 DSG 2x4 SEL with Nav. Job done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too would take a 1.4 TSI over my 110 TDI, but found the 1.2 TSI too slow for my taste. Not so bothered for 4x4 though.

Ideal would be 1.4 DSG 2x4 SEL with Nav.

I used to have a 110 TDI and was pleasantly surprised when I tried the 1.2 TSI as performance felt very similar. Indeed, the on paper figures are almost identical. I know the TDI has much more torque but I think this was negated somewhat by the DSG having 7 speeds. The 1.4 would be much quicker though.

I agree with your ideal spec but with that not available I have gone for 1.2 DSG 2x4 SEL with Nav.

• Like 1

My annual mileage is about the same as yours and I've gone for the 2.0 diesel 2WD. I do some journeys under 20 miles but also three commutes a week of 20 miles each way so I've got no concerns about the DPF and EGR valve. I use the Shell V-Power and BP Ultimate diesel for their benefits as well.

In something like the Yeti I prefer a diesel. If it wasn't for the commutes I'd have to have gone for a petrol though but unlike others I think the 1.2 is too small and don't like the specification of the L&K so probably would have gone elsewhere.

I don't think Skoda UK's thoughts and decisions are very logical and may have lost them a lot of sales, and that was before dieselgate.

As said, they may have to reconsider those now.

Edited by VAGCF

I used to have a 110 TDI and was pleasantly surprised when I tried the 1.2 TSI as performance felt very similar. Indeed, the on paper figures are almost identical. I know the TDI has much more torque but I think this was negated somewhat by the DSG having 7 speeds. The 1.4 would be much quicker though.

I agree with your ideal spec but with that not available I have gone for 1.2 DSG 2x4 SEL with Nav.

I did try a 1.2 DSG and almost bought a one year old one. Indeed, went in to sign the paperwork and asked the salesman out of curiosity how much a new one would be. Cut a long story short, there wasn't a stock car available in the UK that I fancied and there was an excellent discount on mine which is one of the last Euro Vs built. I took a used 110 TDI out and changed my mind. Perhaps it was psychological but it just seemed quicker (probably due to the extra torque).

Knowing me, I'll end up ordering a 1.4 L&K for when mine is a year old if the deal is good enough. I'm waiting to see what the rumoured loyalty incentive is like for those affected by 'diesel gate' like me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the 1.2 is too small and don't like the specification of the L&K so probably would have gone elsewhere.

I don't think Skoda UK's thoughts and decisions are very logical and may have lost them a lot of sales, and that was before dieselgate.

As said, they may have to reconsider those now.

No point going for a petrol Tiguan... they only do the Diesels now, and to spec one up to Yeti standards sends the price sky high. Tiguan with the equivalent of L&K spec is around £33k.

And the new Tiguan that's coming out in Q2 2016 will be bigger all round & no doubt be more expensive again.

Having said that, VW is currently giving a £3250 contribution if you take a Tiguan R line on VW finance. Looks like they're desperate to regain sales!

Not sure if it's all in place right now, but starting sometime this month, Skoda is giving a £1000 loyalty "bonus" to existing customers trading in a Skoda for a new one. Plus a £750 contribution for taking Skoda 0% Finance, plus a "cashback" card loaded with £500 that you can use for anything. I'm not sure if they are all being provided by Skoda themselves or whether the dealer has to chip on for some, but they are all going to be available at the same time. But it looks as though these are on top of whatever you can negotiate with the dealer first.

I've also noticed that some dealers (eg Simpson's) are advertising up to £2000 of accessories with every new Yeti.

A good time to buy?

No doubt there are other incentives coming up!

• Like 1

As far as i can tell, it's a credit card that's pre-loaded with £500. You just use it like any other credit card until the money runs out. Then it works like a normal credit card, or you just cut it up.

Not seen anything in writing yet, but I'm assured it'll be given with the car as part of the handover process.

• Like 1