Fitted vogtland springs and damper - OUCH

Bit of a bummer mate even with my drop its not too bad you just have to conscience of it and change your driving style a bit but other than that it absolutely fine, handles well, looks good and is still quite comfortable etc. I was worried about fitting a front splitter but so far it's been fine and I haven't ripped it off yet touch wood.

Do any of your mates with lowered cars have problems around your way?

I'm swapping back to standard when I'm off work Thursday, lowered life is not for me.

All a learning curve, standard cars from now on.

Hopefully sell them without a massive loss being as they're almost brand new.

A lot of the issue is as someone mentioned above,quality of the shock absorbers.

You either need to spend circa £1000 on some decent coilovers, or circa £600 on a set of Bilstein shock absorbers with Eibach springs.

• Like 2

Bit of a bummer mate even with my drop its not too bad you just have to conscience of it and change your driving style a bit but other than that it absolutely fine, handles well, looks good and is still quite comfortable etc. I was worried about fitting a front splitter but so far it's been fine and I haven't ripped it off yet touch wood.

Do any of your mates with lowered cars have problems around your way?

I used to hang about with a lad who had an Astra slammed on its arse and he used to go 5mph over bumps like I'm having to, its not something I could get used to, though.

Eibach springs with standard shocks were the budget option from years back. They're only 25mm drop but that's plenty to get rid of the arch gap. Koni FSD dampers are also classics, but they work beautifully with the Eibachs. They're supple in a straight line but pretty firm in bends.

I really don't think you can beat that combo without spending well over £1000.

A lot of the issue is as someone mentioned above,quality of the shock absorbers.

You either need to spend circa £1000 on some decent coilovers, or circa £600 on a set of Bilstein shock absorbers with Eibach springs.

What Kev said....

I'm running the Bilstein B8 dampers with eibachs. Handles and drives like a completely different machine. Perfect!

Only need bump stops on the rear aswell with these as the fronts are internal.

Cupra ones for the rear.

In your case if you ain't got any fitted on the front this will be your problem on a 40 mm drop.

What Kev said....

I'm running the Bilstein B8 dampers with eibachs. Handles and drives like a completely different machine. Perfect!

Only need bump stops on the rear aswell with these as the fronts are internal.

Cupra ones for the rear.

In your case if you ain't got any fitted on the front this will be your problem on a 40 mm drop.

Are Bilstein B8 dampers circa £475 for front and rears?

sent from my Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

As said by others you get what you pay for I have weitec hicon gt's that came with the car and I'm very happy with them.

This topic has been done so many time and the general consensus is don't go any cheaper than ap's.

If your not happy with them then take them off but before you write off aftermarket suspension it may be worth trying to track down someone with other kits to see the difference.

• Like 1

I just bought the entire B12 setup for £522 delivered, fantastic price.

That is a good price.

I'm sure you'll already know but....

You need to reuse (or replace) the std dirt guards/bellows off the original skoda front dampers on the Bilstein fronts.

My helpful local skoda mechanic had to do the fronts twice because Bilstein don't include any in the kit!

You have to use the original /old bellows. Trust me, I fitted the B12 kit the first time and didn't use the old ones. You can't leave the new shocks bare. The first bit of grit that gets onto the shock will break the seal and you ain't got no comeback from Bilstein. Pm me for details, it will save you the cost of a new pair of fronts.

• Like 1

They're not necessary and I won't be using them, my motorcycle has chromed fork legs and they don't need gaiters. I appreciate your advice is well intentioned and if I were fitting them on a 4x4 then I would use gaiters. I'm not using them on the rears either, only the bumpstops.

Hope it works out mate.

The amount of ****e on the roads Inc salt. I wouldn't fancy leaving it.

Where did you get the B12 kit so cheap? If I keep the fabia I'd like to sort it all out right as these vogtland ones are ok but not the bast and we're only a cheap stop gap. Was thinking of going back to std but I do like the stance now. Std they are like a range rover

Hope it works out mate.

The amount of ****e on the roads Inc salt. I wouldn't fancy leaving it.

Where did you get the B12 kit so cheap? If I keep the fabia I'd like to sort it all out right as these vogtland ones are ok but not the bast and we're only a cheap stop gap. Was thinking of going back to std but I do like the stance now. Std they are like a range rover

I bought them here:

http://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/

Excellent price and service, proper courier as well.

• Like 1

They're not necessary and I won't be using them, my motorcycle has chromed fork legs and they don't need gaiters. I appreciate your advice is well intentioned and if I were fitting them on a 4x4 then I would use gaiters. I'm not using them on the rears either, only the bumpstops.

You have always seemed a well informed guy on here. My first pair of fronts lasted 6 months before the chrome pitted on salty roads. Couldn't believe how fragile the plating was to be honest.the bellows are if I remember, 14 quid, I've still got photos of the he original set somewhere. DON'T LEAVE THE PISTONS UNPROTECTED, as jesus didn't say.... good luck pal.

Oops, pressed the button too early... Really read the instruction small print carefully. It states categorically to use bellows, either original or "replace". We use the same kit on a porsche cayenne, top dogs boolaks on any motor, really, however Bilstein were less than helpful. I'll send you the old dampers if you really want (less than 6 months old). The plating is very very poor I reckon 10 microns at most.... Good set up tho!

Just finished a night shift sepulchrave.... Bare with me! The original bellows do fit. They are a bellows...... You have no warranty comeback, they compress between the front top mounts and Bilstein shock spring Base housings. Want to see my paper work??? Trust me I thought I had them over a barrel but READ THE SMALL PRINT IN THE BILSTEIN INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. "reuse original dust guards if fitted" . Pm me if you want,I'll provide the photo evidence, the chrome plating is shocking..

I bought them here:

http://www.bilstein-shocks.co.uk/

Excellent price and service, proper courier as well.

Only just read back through the last posts, sepulchrave. I spent hours on the phone with Bilstein, you have to fit the original bellows. Ring them if you don't believe me, most other kits they are provided but not with the skoda stuff lol. They are very helpful on the phone, as I said pm me.

Chris I agree with you on this but is there really a need to make 4 posts and not using edit?

Btw I've got H&R on my Octy and pistons on rear have some repair done with epoxy thing as there were run without gaiters and something damaged the slightly. As the car is lower it's not even visible anyway.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ok I'll get some gaiters if the chrome is as thin as you say, I haven't even opened the box yet to be honest since I'm waiting for new top mounts and bearings, HD droplinks and polybushes to arrive. Thanks for the heads up.