New Golf R - Part 2

john999boy

So the R mk7/1 306 bhp is on it's way then, about 6 months after the S3 revamp.

Guess a little bit extra uumph is better than naught!?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-volkswagen-golf-r-facelift-boosted-306bhp

Interesting...........

It makes room for the 2017 Leon Cupra 300, which in ST (Estate) form will have DSG + AWD as standard. Price unknown, but it will be cheaper than the Golf.

We might let the EOS go & replace it with an ST, as my new "fun" car, as we have decided to keep the sensible Superb

for a year or three.

'Tis a pity that Skoda aren't allowed to sell a vRS with similar specification, bit I'm sure that VW want them to be seen as the sensible premium economy brand, 

& the petrol AWD powertrain will remain reserved for the Superb.

Happy Holidays, DC. 

So the R mk7/1 306 bhp is on it's way then, about 6 months after the S3 revamp.

Guess a little bit extra uumph is better than naught!?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-volkswagen-golf-r-facelift-boosted-306bhp

Other views :http://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/new-more-powerful-vw-golf-r

Have a great Christmas and New Year to all our members.

Edited by vrskeith

So upgrade for 2017 Golf R 306 bhp and corresponding uplifts to torques.

If it is purely an ECU / Mapping tweak, without changes to mechanical components , gearbox or fairly major changes.

Then why couldn't VW offer a low cost (< £500) enhancement undertaken by VW Dealership - incorporating the change within a service window.

Most Importantly for Customers, retaining current warrantee status.

I've just written to VW UK today, to that effect ,so now looking forward to a Customer focused positive reply in early 2017.

Goodwill for their Customers in UK wouldn't be a bad thing for the VW image imo right know.

So upgrade for 2017 Golf R 306 bhp and corresponding uplifts to torques.

If it is purely an ECU / Mapping tweak, without changes to mechanical components , gearbox or fairly major changes.

Then why couldn't VW offer a low cost (< £500) enhancement undertaken by VW Dealership - incorporating the change within a service window.

Most Importantly for Customers, retaining current warrantee status.

I've just written to VW UK today, to that effect ,so now looking forward to a Customer focused positive reply in early 2017.

Goodwill for their Customers in UK wouldn't be a bad thing for the VW image imo right know.

Posted to main Journos on Evo, Topgear and Autocar to see if they can get answers from VW UK or Wolfsburg

Edited by vrskeith

7 delicious smooth wet!

I've sampled this new 7 speed in an under-powered Tiguan (2.0 TSi, 180 ps MAX @ 4-6K rpms, yuk!) & it worked well apart from feeling a bit too eager when setting off in !st gear.

That might well be engine rather than DSG mapping though.

Shifting was smooth, but then the 6-speed in our R is also smooth, & better than the '10 plate EOS, again perhaps not too surprising on a 6 year younger car?

Had the opportunity to play with the R yesterday on familiar cold & wet roads, minus the usual evening traffic & the Bridgestones &/or the car coped with the road surfaces without drama, although the steering felt lightish. (Comfort mode). I've not been driving it much recently, so the "light " steering is a comparison with the EOS which is on Kumho Ecstasy(?)

235-18 40 tyres, so not a fair comparision.

I'm swapping over from the EOS to the Superb later today, (more sensible car for the winter....) I'll see how that behaves compared to the R.

As for increasing the current R's power / torque, that seems to be a £500 remap from the likes of AMD, but it just might affect the VW warranty.

As an aside, have any of you noticed that the '17 model Cupra ST is going to be a 300 ps, & DSG only beastie?

No official prices available yet, but Carwow have quoted me £33,645 list price, but with a disclaimer that it's subject to confirmation next month.

Perhaps t'is another indication that Skoda are never going to be allowed to sell a proper performance vRS Octavia, if only 'cos it would take sales from their 280 Superb?

Cheers, DC.

• Like 1

I've sampled this new 7 speed in an under-powered Tiguan (2.0 TSi, 180 ps MAX @ 4-6K rpms, yuk!) & it worked well apart from feeling a bit too eager when setting off in !st gear.

That might well be engine rather than DSG mapping though.

Shifting was smooth, but then the 6-speed in our R is also smooth, & better than the '10 plate EOS, again perhaps not too surprising on a 6 year younger car?

Had the opportunity to play with the R yesterday on familiar cold & wet roads, minus the usual evening traffic & the Bridgestones &/or the car coped with the road surfaces without drama, although the steering felt lightish. (Comfort mode). I've not been driving it much recently, so the "light " steering is a comparison with the EOS which is on Kumho Ecstasy(?)

235-18 40 tyres, so not a fair comparision.

I'm swapping over from the EOS to the Superb later today, (more sensible car for the winter....) I'll see how that behaves compared to the R.

As for increasing the current R's power / torque, that seems to be a £500 remap from the likes of AMD, but it just might affect the VW warranty.

As an aside, have any of you noticed that the '17 model Cupra ST is going to be a 300 ps, & DSG only beastie?

No official prices available yet, but Carwow have quoted me £33,645 list price, but with a disclaimer that it's subject to confirmation next month.

Perhaps t'is another indication that Skoda are never going to be allowed to sell a proper performance vRS Octavia, if only 'cos it would take sales from their 280 Superb?

Cheers, DC.

Whoops, new Cupra ST will be 300ps AWD & DSG.................

• Like 1

Have you tried Orangewheel for discount on your Seat requirements

No. i've not heard of them.

Since the official prices for the next Leon Cupra have not yet be confirmed they (& Carwow....) might not be able to quote just yet!

TA muchly, DC

• Like 1

Stepping stones to recent acquisition of a Family Golf estate !

It's a bit small to be a proper "Family Estate", (Octy or Superb probably if you really need the space) but it is a very sensible car to live with, especially for the Senior Citizens amongst us..........

Did a couple of hours in the R yesterday at 1 - 4 C temperatures & it seemed to grip quite well on its OE Potenzas.

It's a nice car.............

DC

It's a bit small to be a proper "Family Estate", (Octy or Superb probably if you really need the space) but it is a very sensible car to live with, especially for the Senior Citizens amongst us..........

Did a couple of hours in the R yesterday at 1 - 4 C temperatures & it seemed to grip quite well on its OE Potenzas.

It's a nice car.............

DC

DC

Have you now got over your initial downer, relating to the road noise on the OE tyres fitted?

5 audlts , one 6'4" in the Rear and a Bulgarian Mountain dog spread out in the boot space . No problem !

Don't think the R Estate will be getting any competition from the Focus RS in this guise ,do you?

Edited by vrskeith

DC

Have you now got over your initial downer, relating to the road noise on the OE tyres fitted?

5 audlts , one 6'4" in the Rear and a Bulgarian Mountain dog spread out in the boot space . No problem !

Don't think the R Estate will be getting any competition from the Focus RS in this guise ,do you?

Keith.

It's still noisy......volume depends on road surfaces as you might expect but the old Superb is still quieter & more spacious too!

The R is proving to be big enough for our normal needs, though I do wish that VW would allow Skoda to make / sell a 300ps / AWD vRS Octy estate, even if it cost as much as the Golf.

I'd buy it, 'cos it would be big enough for us to replace a Mk 2 Superb. 

As for competition, Ford will never sell a Focus RS Wagon, but the '17 Leon Cupra ST will be an alternative to an R, same power-train as the '16 Golf, a bit smaller & at app £34K possibly cheaper. The retail prices / options list aren't available yet but I've had a few hints that circa £34K is in the ball park.

The Leon is, perhaps, prettier than the R, & much more useful / better value than a 5-door S3, but it could easily be a depreciation disaster too.

We are still (!) mulling over a "fun-car" replacement for the EOS, SWMBO thinks we would be daft to buy an R hatch-back & keep the estate but would be happy to stay with a VAG

car of some sort.

A DSG is, for both of us, a must, we don't need / want a diesel, so it would probably be yet another 2.0TSi.

The doors must be smaller than the EOS, (car-parks .....) so the various coupes are out, a Tiguan / Kodiaq probably not much fun especially as their version of the 2.0TSi is underpowered.

If I could find a very young & unmolested vRS 230 c/w a Columbus & Canton, for a sensible price then I just might be tempted.

AMD Technik assure me that they can extract a bit more power from thst engine, at least enough to surprise us & it does have a memory drivers seat as standard. (I'm taller...)

As always, watch this space!

DC

re post #615.

The Audi S3 seems to be the Hot Hatch car of choice for a certain type,

and the Golf R Estate seems perfect for NT Members, those into dogging and can also do the odd getaway with their cloak of invisibility.

NT Members, = National Trust?

From the VW Website today runout stock discount being offer on base price, before the Facelifted detail come up for ordering online in Feb 2017

Golf GTD

Powerful performance in a diesel engine

From £26,955 £23,705

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf GTE

High performance Plug-in hybrid

From £34,055

Start building this model

Compare models

Golf GTI

Often copied. Never equalled.

From £27,495 £24,245

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf R

High Performance and unique 'R' styling. Available from stock only. e.g! 5dr manual approx. £3250

From £31,685 £28,435

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf GTI Clubsport Edition 40

The most powerful GTI ever. Available from stock only.

From £30,935

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Special price reduction

Save money on your Volkswagen

Car/Model

Offer description

Golf GTI,

Golf GTD,

Golf R

£3,250 off Golf models

excluding Golf GTE and Golf Clubsport Edition 40

Find out more

Note! Doesn't appear to apply to Estate models currently.

Edited by vrskeith

From the VW Website today runout stock discount being offer on base price, before the Facelifted detail come up for ordering online in Feb 2017

Golf GTD

Powerful performance in a diesel engine

From £26,955 £23,705

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf GTE

High performance Plug-in hybrid

From £34,055

Start building this model

Compare models

Golf GTI

Often copied. Never equalled.

From £27,495 £24,245

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf R

High Performance and unique 'R' styling. Available from stock only. e.g! 5dr manual approx. £3250

From £31,685 £28,435

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Golf GTI Clubsport Edition 40

The most powerful GTI ever. Available from stock only.

From £30,935

Start building 3 door

Start building 5 door

Compare models

Special price reduction

Save money on your Volkswagen

Car/Model

Offer description

Golf GTI,

Golf GTD,

Golf R

£3,250 off Golf models

excluding Golf GTE and Golf Clubsport Edition 40

Find out more

Note! Doesn't appear to apply to Estate models currently.

Not sure what discounters are doing to shift stock e.g Orangewheels or Carwow !!

Or indeed local dealerships stock!!

Quote from my local dealership today :"Yes VW have added a £3250 order bonus to all Golf hatches, we are offering Orangewheels the same discounts as always plus the additional support from Volkswagen  there is NOT a huge amount of stock around."

Quote from Autocar realease :"The 2017 Golf R is on sale in Germany now, but UK order books won’t open until February. Prices are expected to grow slightly on the outgoing car, which starts at £31,685."

Edited by vrskeith

Golf R MK7 Facelift 2017 now on sale in Europe.

http://www.news18.com/news/auto/2017-volkswagen-golf-r-facelift-gets-more-powerful-launched-in-europe-1328664.html

Would be interesting to view the European Specs. Any access on line in GMBH?

Edited by vrskeith

VG won't discard an important export market willingly, but they do need to make a profit. 

They could promote the Bentley brand a little more, 'cos the manufacturing costs will have dropped, but it's not as if 

Crewe could transition into a VW assembly plant to serve the UK market..............

Watch this space..............

DC

• Like 1