... but they don't show in the table displayed on the Columbus when hitting the POI button.

Has anyone any suggestions to solve this issue?

Easy once you know how - and this method doesn't restrict you to the driver's pre-selected POI categories.

Don't use the POI screen, instead choose New Destination. At the top of the screen is a drop-down "Options" menu. Use this to select "POI".

Now choose the search area then select either...

"Find Category" - which will allow you to choose from any one of all the POI categories, or

"Find Name" - where you can enter a full or partial name like "Premiere" or "Beefeater" which will look in every category for that name.

It will then do a search and list up to 200 entries in a scrollable table.

Edit: That's how it works in the MY16 Columbus. Hopefully they haven't messed with it in the updated MY17 version.

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1

Thanks BillyJim but that method doesn't work on the MY17. so I'm afraid they have messed it up!

They certainly have. I had a look in the new infotainment manual. It looks to me like it still works in a similar fashion to the MY16.

Go to the new destinations screen but don't enter any text yet ***. A button with a three bars icon, representing "options" I suppose, should be at the top of the screen next to the "previous screen" back-arrow button.

*** Entering text will change the appearance and function of the button.

Tapping this three bar icon should give you a Search (for POI) option [the other options being Address and In Map].

Unlike the MY16 which shows the results as just a scrollable list, the MY17 version shows the results on a split screen with a mini-map on the left and the scrollable list on the right.

It's on pages 60-61 of the new Columbus/Amundsen/Bolero pdf manual. The pdf version, if you need it, is available here.

• 2 months later...

Thanks all for the excellent information. I have now managed to get all speed cameras as POI's in my recently purchased Superb Estate L&K 2.0 190bhp but I have 1 minor niggle that I'm hoping someone knows the answer to....

I carried out the exact procedure with the default bmp files that came with the CSV download (from POIPlaza) and they are very blurry when viewed on the Amundsen screen. I thought, I know, I will replace said bitmaps with better files and while I'm at it, I'll include 3 more speed camera files. Now the odd thing is, the newer speed camera files show the correct icon (newer, sharper images), but the original fixed and mobile speed camera files that I uploaded yesterday as a trial, still show the horrible blurry bmp!!!! Even though I have created a brand new zip file from the VW website with all new images!!

I carried out a 'delete user POI' through the set up and updated again to no avail. I've even checked the files on the USB stick and the only 5 images that are there are the newer ones I wanted to use, no sign of the older ones!! Are they being held in a memory somewhere/somehow?

Please help?

Thanks all for the excellent information. I have now managed to get all speed cameras as POI's in my recently purchased Superb Estate L&K 2.0 190bhp but I have 1 minor niggle that I'm hoping someone knows the answer to....

I carried out the exact procedure with the default bmp files that came with the CSV download (from POIPlaza) and they are very blurry when viewed on the Amundsen screen. I thought, I know, I will replace said bitmaps with better files and while I'm at it, I'll include 3 more speed camera files. Now the odd thing is, the newer speed camera files show the correct icon (newer, sharper images), but the original fixed and mobile speed camera files that I uploaded yesterday as a trial, still show the horrible blurry bmp!!!! Even though I have created a brand new zip file from the VW website with all new images!!

I carried out a 'delete user POI' through the set up and updated again to no avail. I've even checked the files on the USB stick and the only 5 images that are there are the newer ones I wanted to use, no sign of the older ones!! Are they being held in a memory somewhere/somehow?

Please help?

Sorry to bump this thread - but finally got around to trying to get the speed cameras onto my Columbus

I have downloaded and extracted the Pocket GPS world CSV camera file onto my computer - however when I try to load onto the VW POI Website as per the links above, I can select the first files and images to download, but don't get the add further POI categories, and then when I click on the 'save' I just get a pop up box with an error message in German.

Has anybody any ideas where I may be going wrong??

Thanks in advance

Edited by Inoffski

I can select the first files and images to download, but don't get the add further POI categories,

Should be singular and not plural. You should only load one file with one associated image at a time before going to add further POI categories (the ++++ part of my guide).

If you downloaded the safety camera files from Pocket as multiple files then I suggest you delete them and download again choosing the All option (per Rainmaker's post #41 above).

What does the pop-up error message actually say? I appreciate it's in German but I can understand German and it may help point me in the right direction of where you're going wrong.

Should be singular and not plural. You should only load one file with one associated image at a time before going to add further POI categories (the ++++ part of my guide).

If you downloaded the safety camera files from Pocket as multiple files then I suggest you delete them and download again choosing the All option (per Rainmaker's post #41 above).

What does the pop-up error message actually say? I appreciate it's in German but I can understand German and it may help point me in the right direction of where you're going wrong.

Thanks BillyJim

I was selecting individual files this morning, and have had a go this evening when I got back - and hey presto it has worked this time.......

But - when I have extracted the files to a blank SD card, and placed the card in the Columbus, it has flashed up SD Card 1 - Software Update, then when I have followed the process to update the software it takes ages to search for a software update then declares an error, no software update found.

I have checked the SD card before inserting into the car, and there are only the 2 files on there (PersonalPOI and metainfo2), but upon returning the SD card to the laptop there is also a WMP Info file on there.

I have used the Other CSV file from Pocket GPS world through the POI site

Any ideas please?? It may just be something really simple I am missing

Thanks in advance

Glad to hear you resolved the PPOI creation but sorry to hear you're still having problems.

The "software update" - for Maps or PPOI - is quite finicky and there must not be any additional files on the card. It's a possibility you had hidden system files that were previously written to the SD Card and are upsetting the apple cart.

Format the SD Card so it's pristine and try again. Don't rely on the computer's trash to delete files from the SD Card as hidden files may still remain behind if using this method.

Glad to hear you resolved the PPOI creation but sorry to hear you're still having problems.

The "software update" - for Maps or PPOI - is quite finicky and there must not be any additional files on the card. It's a possibility you had hidden system files that were previously written to the SD Card and are upsetting the apple cart.

Format the SD Card so it's pristine and try again. Don't rely on the computer's trash to delete files from the SD Card as hidden files may still remain behind if using this method.

Thanks again BillyJim

I have tried a freshly formatted SD card, and also a brand new straight out of the packet one, and no joy with either. 

I am going to try and download the POI's again and start from scratch later today when I get chance

One thing I have noticed is that although when I check the file on the SD card on my laptop before trying to load into the columbus, there are 2 files on it, then once the uplad has failed, there are 3 - a WMP file appears on the card. Not sure if the columbus writes this file to the card

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issue!

Created and imported POI before using the VW website, but now it won't anymore.

System finds SD-Card and states updates, then starts cheeking and comes back with error.

Very strange...

• Like 1

Yep, me to. POI files created and added to an SD card. Columbus sees an update and then returns an error.

It's times like this I wish TomTom Go was Android Auto compatible, and my phone was Android Auto compatible... :D

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
  • Like 2

Thanks for the information on loading the POIs using the VW site (Hozz, post #11) and the very useful 'how to' (BillyJim, post #13) rather than using the Skoda MyDestinations page.

A couple of issues I have here is that the VW site doesn't give me the orange button " POI -Sammlung sichern" after entering a CSV file, a BMP image, (no tick for the warning) and an output filename. The input box just sits there with nowhere to go; nothing even to indicate to add another POI. What am I missing? Tried it on Firefox and Chrome.

Also, my car is the Skoda Octavia Estate Technology (no idea if it's MY16 or 17) but only just registered, so take your pick on that! The Infotainment system is the Amundsen, but presume the loading process is much the same as for the Columbus (and the Superb).

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, dgc188 said:

Thanks for the information on loading the POIs using the VW site (Hozz, post #11) and the very useful 'how to' (BillyJim, post #13) rather than using the Skoda MyDestinations page.

A couple of issues I have here is that the VW site doesn't give me the orange button " POI -Sammlung sichern" after entering a CSV file, a BMP image, (no tick for the warning) and an output filename. The input box just sits there with nowhere to go; nothing even to indicate to add another POI. What am I missing? Tried it on Firefox and Chrome.

Also, my car is the Skoda Octavia Estate Technology (no idea if it's MY16 or 17) but only just registered, so take your pick on that! The Infotainment system is the Amundsen, but presume the loading process is much the same as for the Columbus (and the Superb).

Any thoughts guys?

Thanks.

Amundsen's usually rely on the navigation data being on the SD Card supplied with the car (at least my Brothers MY16 Octavia VRS does) so not sure how you would or if you can upload POI's onto it like you can with the Columbus as they hold the navigation and POI information on an SSD within the unit!

I'm sure that one of the wizzkids on here will be able to give you a definitive answer though :)

Edited by Prykey

On 1/30/2017 at 12:37, marcimark said:

I have exactly the same issue!

Created and imported POI before using the VW website, but now it won't anymore.

System finds SD-Card and states updates, then starts cheeking and comes back with error.

Very strange...

Me too...... Tried various sd cards, tried different browsers, tried different un-zippers, very frustrating, perhaps its the newer units or the older ones with new software?????

On 15. 1. 2017 at 21:16, Inoffski said:

Thanks BillyJim

I was selecting individual files this morning, and have had a go this evening when I got back - and hey presto it has worked this time.......

But - when I have extracted the files to a blank SD card, and placed the card in the Columbus, it has flashed up SD Card 1 - Software Update, then when I have followed the process to update the software it takes ages to search for a software update then declares an error, no software update found.

I have checked the SD card before inserting into the car, and there are only the 2 files on there (PersonalPOI and metainfo2), but upon returning the SD card to the laptop there is also a WMP Info file on there.

I have used the Other CSV file from Pocket GPS world through the POI site

Thanks in advance

Go to poiplaza download ACS tomtom file, but not as speedcam, download ACS as POI. Go to Škoda my destinations, insert just ASC unziped file on map ad a sound 

save on computer and just two fils must be on the SD card (PersonalPoi and metainfo2). Go to your car and update system. I hawe no problem. BR

as speedcam

On 08/03/2016 at 04:37, BillyJim said:

Step 4: Saving your POI collection.

Now click the orange "POI-Sammlung sichern" button - "save your POI collection".

On the screen that pops up - "Ihre POI-Sammlung sichern" - enter a name for the ZIP file that will be saved to your computer, then click "Jetzt sichern".

The ZIP file is saved on you computer and the contents should now be extracted to an empty SD Card.

You should have a text file titled metainfo.txt and a folder titled PersonalPOI - and there must not be any other files on the SD Card.

Step 5: Load it into your Amundsen/Columbus.

Per the manual...

Insert the SD Card.

Select "Nav".

Select the settings/options (cog wheel button).

Select Version information.

Select Update.

Select the SD Card.

Done this to the letter! only problem is that there's NO option to select the SD card! it does go on to update software, but then says that there is no software to update!

Strange thing is that if I go to the settings/options screen there is an option to select "import POI", then select the SD card all the info is there but it won't upload it from the card! (only files on the SD card are metainfo.txt & PersonalPOI).

Any idea's/suggestions? If I had any hair left (follically challenged) I'd be pulling it out now!

Car is a Mk3 SE l Executive 4X4 estate Build date 05/01/2016

Columbus or Amundsen?

If you have Columbus the PPOIs should be transferred to the internal drive allowing the PPOI card to be removed and freeing the slot.

Only the Columbus appears to have the ability to save the PPOIs internally due to it having a hard drive. Whilst the MY16 Amundsen manual refers to importing Personal POIs the Amundsen doesn't have an internal drive so I'm guessing the PPOIs, like the maps, still need to be read from the card which, per se, must remain in a SD Card slot.

If you have Amundsen then try this; ensure the card(s) with your Maps and PPOIs are in the SD slot, go to Navigation and select New Destination (the chequered flag). In Options select POI and see if your PPOIs are shown in the categories.

I don't have Amundsen so may be may be spitting in the wind here. It may be possible to save your PPOIs to your Map card so you don't tie up both SD slots - but would strongly recommend backing up the Map card before trying it. It would fly against the advice of not having any other files on a "software update" card.

Edit: Okay, just checked the MY16 brochure and SE L exec has Columbus. I see others have had similar problems. I don't use the VW site myself (I just did the interpreted "how to") so not sure where the problem lies.

Edited by BillyJim

I am suddenly having this error, also. I download the camera files (Pocket GPS World), set up as usual on the VW site, then download the .zip. Unpack to a blank USB drive, and plug into the Columbus. I get 'USB: Software update found' (or similar), but when I try to load the update I get a long pause while it searches, then 'Error: no update found, please check the source and try again'. I've tried formatting the drive as NTFS, FAT, FAT32 etc and no dice. It's the exact same drive and method I've used for the last year without issue, but now it won't work. 

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever updated the POIs since the 2017 SatNav update from Skoda. Maybe they borked something?

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

I am suddenly having this error, also. I download the camera files (Pocket GPS World), set up as usual on the VW site, then download the .zip. Unpack to a blank USB drive, and plug into the Columbus. I get 'USB: Software update found' (or similar), but when I try to load the update I get a long pause while it searches, then 'Error: no update found, please check the source and try again'. I've tried formatting the drive as NTFS, FAT, FAT32 etc and no dice. It's the exact same drive and method I've used for the last year without issue, but now it won't work. 

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever updated the POIs since the 2017 SatNav update from Skoda. Maybe they borked something?

Hi Rainmaker,

my mapping was updated by the dealer from whom I bought the car from & is running the 2017 mapping, its just so bloody frustrating! as I've spoken to the dealer & they say that they haven't come across this before.

methinks its time for a technical question to Skoda technical! So when I'm at Azur Skoda (Chichester), tomorrow (having mudflaps fitted & them to sort out the n/s DRL having a mind of its own, decides when its going to work or not, by its self & them looking at why my mirrors don't tilt down when I reverse, they were working but don't now even though the tick box in the setup is ticked!).

I'll ask them to submit a DISS report, that way it'll go all the way back to VAG Germany & they are duty bound to reply & not fob me off!

• Like 2