I actually just successfully loaded tomtom files (.asc) to the Skoda site and loaded them into my GPS.  They are successfully working - i still have the 2016/2017 software on the MIB system.

Just tried to load CSV file to http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs unsuccessfully. (see below) are you using the same URL?

Server Error in '/' Application.

Input string was not in a correct format.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

4 hours ago, Enobar said:

I actually just successfully loaded tomtom files (.asc) to the Skoda site and loaded them into my GPS.  They are successfully working - i still have the 2016/2017 software on the MIB system.

As I mentioned in a earlier post this was the only format that I could get to work with the the Skoda site without error!!!

Needless to say, progress with Skoda Customer Service is slow and laborious but they have now agreed to pass the issue on to their technical people in Milton Keynes.

It has taken 5 emails and one long conversation to get to this point!

I have tried again using .asc files through the Skoda site without success but maybe TomTom .asc files are different. 

I don't have access to any TomTom .asc files to try that.

I have however been back to the VW site and agree that they have done something to it which no longer makes it useable without some manipulation.

I downloaded all the files from the VW site as before but deleted the metainfo2.txt file and replaced it with a metainfo.txt file which I had got the last time I downloaded POI's from that site in December.

I am pleased to say it all worked but I was careful to download the new files in exactly the same format as my previous download, the only difference being that some of the speed cameras had changed.

BREAKTHRU !

I have just tried the Skoda My Destinations site http://mydestination.skoda-auto.com/POIs and successfully uploaded a collections of POIs in TomTom.asc format.

It was a collection of all 1551 UK BP petrol stations from http://poiplaza.com/, I was then successfully able to save the collection to a ZIP file, previously this had always resulted in that dreaded SQL error.

Upon extracting the ZIP to a SD card I was then successfully able to update my Columbus with the collection, and they now appear on my navigation map.

So it looks like the site has been fixed (sort of) and maybe our efforts have not been in vain.

I am going to keep trying all the other possible formats and post up my results shortly.

• Like 1

This is seriously starting to pee me off now... I tried half a dozen formats from PocketGPSWorld (including Other-ASC, Other-CSV, TomTomv2, TomTom Zipped, Navman ASC, and nothing worked on the Skoda site. I finally found that Garmin GPX worked on the Skoda site without an error, and I uploaded four POI categories (cameras UK, cameras EU, mobile cameras UK and mobile cameras EU), and all went fine. Created the ZIP and downloaded it, and unpacked it to a USB. I noticed a couple of extra folders (destinations, and gps-pictures) compared to the VW site, but tried anyway. 

The Columbus sees the update, and actually allows me to start the update process (this doesn't happen with the now-broken VW site files). Unfortunately it gets to 72% complete and pops up an error saying the update medium was removed (it wasn't!) and the device has to restart for safety to check the nav files. ARGH. :@ Does anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately GPSWorld only does ASC files as 'Other ASC' and they don't get accepted by the Skoda POS page.

BTW I tried two different USB drives, tried deleting the two 'new' extra folders so it was just the txt file and POI folder as usual, and also tried reducing the POI categories so it was just UK cameras... Same error, same place, every time. A near £40k car and they can't even make the sat nav work as advertised. Fantastic.

Edited by Rainmaker

30 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

This is seriously starting to pee me off now... I tried half a dozen formats from PocketGPSWorld (including Other-ASC, Other-CSV, TomTomv2, TomTom Zipped, Navman ASC, and nothing worked on the Skoda site. I finally found that Garmin GPX worked on the Skoda site without an error, and I uploaded four POI categories (cameras UK, cameras EU, mobile cameras UK and mobile cameras EU), and all went fine. Created the ZIP and downloaded it, and unpacked it to a USB. I noticed a couple of extra folders (destinations, and gps-pictures) compared to the VW site, but tried anyway. 

The Columbus sees the update, and actually allows me to start the update process (this doesn't happen with the now-broken VW site files). Unfortunately it gets to 72% complete and pops up an error saying the update medium was removed (it wasn't!) and the device has to restart for safety to check the nav files. ARGH. :@ Does anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately GPSWorld only does ASC files as 'Other ASC' and they don't get accepted by the Skoda POS page.

BTW I tried two different USB drives, tried deleting the two 'new' extra folders so it was just the txt file and POI folder as usual, and also tried reducing the POI categories so it was just UK cameras... Same error, same place, every time. A near £40k car and they can't even make the sat nav work as advertised. Fantastic.

Have you got an SD card to try with rather than a USB? When it worked for me I used a SD card formatted in FAT32.

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Had you previously tried and failed with a USB mate? I've always used USB before and it worked fine.

No, so far i've stuck with SD, but i've got a spare USB stick so when I do some more testing tomorrow, i'll add that into the mix and let you know.

17 minutes ago, FraggaZagga said:

No, so far i've stuck with SD, but i've got a spare USB stick so when I do some more testing tomorrow, i'll add that into the mix and let you know.

Thanks. I've just dug out an SD card to text but I won't hold my breath. I'm on the last available PocketGPSWorld format that works with the Skoda site (Route66 GPX).

Edit: Nope, not even with SDCard. Screw your ineptitude, Škoda. :angry:

Edited by Rainmaker

13 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Thanks. I've just dug out an SD card to text but I won't hold my breath. I'm on the last available PocketGPSWorld format that works with the Skoda site (Route66 GPX).

Ok i've just signed up to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs and have download an example POI list (Sainsbury's) in the file format you suggested. It's actually a CSV file, and tried uploading it to the Skoda site,ERROR!

OK, so I took a look at the contents of the file and think i can see why it failed. A CSV (or Comma Separated Variable file) is actually just plain text, with each piece of data separated by a comma, open one in notepad and you'll see.

However, open it in Excel (if you have it) and it looks just like a spreadsheet with columns A & B being the GPS coordinates, column C being the name/location of the store, and column D being....  well any old rubbish? Some phone numbers, addresses but also (crucially) some floating point numbers. This data is what the Skoda site errors on, so I made a copy of the CSV, deleted this column, and bingo the site accepted it and the resulting file imports into my Nav fine.

So my guess would be that the CSV files you got probably also have extra data in that is the cause of your errors when uploading to the Nav. Just because they got through the Skoda site, if that data is still there, the Nav might not like it.

In short, edit your CSV before uploading it to the Skoda site, so it just has the GPS co-ords and the text description of the location.

I'm gonna try some different data types on the site, to what it actually is that it doesn't like?

I hope this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FraggaZagga said:

Ok i've just signed up to http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=POIs and have download an example POI list (Sainsbury's) in the file format you suggested. It's actually a CSV file, and tried uploading it to the Skoda site,ERROR!

OK, so I took a look at the contents of the file and think i can see why it failed. A CSV (or Comma Separated Variable file) is actually just plain text, with each piece of data separated by a comma, open one in notepad and you'll see.

However, open it in Excel (if you have it) and it looks just like a spreadsheet with columns A & B being the GPS coordinates, column C being the name/location of the store, and column D being....  well any old rubbish? Some phone numbers, addresses but also (crucially) some floating point numbers. This data is what the Skoda site errors on, so I made a copy of the CSV, deleted this column, and bingo the site accepted it and the resulting file imports into my Nav fine.

So my guess would be that the CSV files you got probably also have extra data in that is the cause of your errors when uploading to the Nav. Just because they got through the Skoda site, if that data is still there, the Nav might not like it.

In short, edit your CSV before uploading it to the Skoda site, so it just has the GPS co-ords and the text description of the location.

I'm gonna try some different data types on the site, to what it actually is that it doesn't like?

I hope this makes sense.

Excellent sleuthing Fragga. I re-downloaded the files (UK cameras) as Other - CSV and opened them in the latest version of Excel. Column A was ";Longitude", B was "Latitude" and C is "Name". There is no D... I wonder is the semi-colon in the title of column A a typo? I tried changing it (removing the semi-colon) and it still won't upload to the site. Strange. Would it help if I sent you a sample file by PM?

EDIT: Hang on... The shopping (etc) POIs don't have a title, just data. I downloaded one to check. The camera files have row 1 as Long, Lat, Name... I've deleted row 1 and now the files look the same as the shopping POIs. The Skoda site now accepts them. I'm going to try again. Wish me luck!

EDIT 2: Nope. The Skoda site does now accept the CSV files (minus the extra row 1 not found in the shopping POIs), and I downloaded the ZIP as before. Same error on the Columbus around 65% - update media removed, the unit needs to restart. Doh. I really thought I'd cracked it there. :( 

Edited by Rainmaker

pioplaza, tomtom asc, Skoda my destination site, sd card.......confirmed, works straight out of the box for me now, no file manipulation required.

Not tried files created from pocketworld site which is probably more up to date 

Edited by panmat

12 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

The PocketGpsWorld (Other-ASC, include pMobile, Consolidated by Type) works on the VW site. 

The problem is the metainfo2.txt file. You need to replace it with an older version which I am happy to send you if you want.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hozz said:

The PocketGpsWorld (Other-ASC, include pMobile, Consolidated by Type) works on the VW site. 

The problem is the metainfo2.txt file. You need to replace it with an older version which I am happy to send you if you want.

Yes, please mate. That'd be very helpful indeed.

34 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Would you be kind enough to share the old metainfo file with me too please? I'd like to give it a go when I'm feeling strong... :blink:

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

I can confirm that replacing the metainfo2.txt with an older one works.

I created a set of POIs on the VW site on 11/02/2017 but it wouldn't load to the Columbus. The set was made up of a number of categories, some .kmz files, some .asc files.

The last working set that I created on the VW site was dated 31/12/2016 and that one loads to the Columbus no problem.

I have just replaced the metainfo2.txt file in the top folder of the 11/02/2017 set with the same file from the 31/12/2016 set and that does the trick!

Can see all my previous personal POIs plus 2 new speed cams that weren't in the old set.

I have attached my working metainfo2.txt file, hope this helps.

metainfo2.zip

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

I can confirm that replacing the metainfo2.txt with an older one works.

I created a set of POIs on the VW site on 11/02/2017 but it wouldn't load to the Columbus. The set was made up of a number of categories, some .kmz files, some .asc files.

The last working set that I created on the VW site was dated 31/12/2016 and that one loads to the Columbus no problem.

I have just replaced the metainfo2.txt file in the top folder of the 11/02/2017 set with the same file from the 31/12/2016 set and that does the trick!

Can see all my previous personal POIs plus 2 new speed cams that weren't in the old set.

I have attached my working metainfo2.txt file, hope this helps.

metainfo2.zip

Yes that is exactly the same metainfo2.txt that worked for me, so that rather proves that whatever POI's you load using the VW site the metainfo2.txt does not change and that makes life much easier.

Yep, I used the old metainfo2 file (thanks Hozz/Rifleman!) and replaced it in a brand new download of UK and EU cameras, and voila. Thanks everyone, this forum really proves its worth even where the OEM lets the side down. :inlove:

Edited by Rainmaker

@Hozz - you're a bl**dy genius! It worked.... Thanks very much for sending the file and flagging up the solution.

I do have a slight problem in that I can see the POI's on the map but I'm struggling to be able to search for them, or choose my category to be shown in the POI menu, but I suspect that's user error. More tinkering required tomorrow.... :biggrin:

11 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

@Hozz - you're a bl**dy genius! It worked.... Thanks very much for sending the file and flagging up the solution.

I do have a slight problem in that I can see the POI's on the map but I'm struggling to be able to search for them, or choose my category to be shown in the POI menu, but I suspect that's user error. More tinkering required tomorrow.... :biggrin:

After you have loaded the POI's you need to go into NAV/Setup/Map/Select categories for POI's and tick the POI's you want to show on the map.

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

After you have loaded the POI's you need to go into NAV/Setup/Map/Select categories for POI's and tick the POI's you want to show on the map.

I think I've done this. I can see the new POIs if I zoom out on the map. Where I come unstuck is if I search for an individual POI name in the 'new destination' field they don't come up. Similarly, I only have three POI categories showing under the main POI menu (can't remember which ones they are, but many more are ticked in the settings to be shown on the map). I'm just trying to figure out how I can now search for one of my new POIs and navigate to it, without having to find it on the map itself and tap on it...

EDIT: This section from earlier in this thread might just be the answer I'm looking for - I'll try later...

Go to the new destinations screen but don't enter any text yet ***. A button with a three bars icon, representing "options" I suppose, should be at the top of the screen next to the "previous screen" back-arrow button.

*** Entering text will change the appearance and function of the button.

Tapping this three bar icon should give you a Search (for POI) option [the other options being Address and In Map].

Unlike the MY16 which shows the results as just a scrollable list, the MY17 version shows the results on a split screen with a mini-map on the left and the scrollable list on the right.

It's on pages 60-61 of the new Columbus/Amundsen/Bolero pdf manual. The pdf version, if you need it, is available here.

Edited by CheshireBumpkin
Discovered the wonders of forum search :-)

5 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

This section from earlier in this thread might just be the answer I'm looking for - I'll try later...

Go to the new destinations screen but don't enter any text yet ***. A button with a three bars icon, representing "options" I suppose, should be at the top of the screen next to the "previous screen" back-arrow button.

*** Entering text will change the appearance and function of the button.

Tapping this three bar icon should give you a Search (for POI) option [the other options being Address and In Map].

Nope, didn't work. The search button under the three bars just takes you to the default search. Whilst this is fine for searching for pre-installed POIs it won't find the POIs I've just imported for some reason. Despite them showing on the map - I can find them and click on them on the map itself to navigate to them, but can't get to them any other way.

Oh well, I still suspect this is user error. I'll bet I did something weird when I first created the list of POIs... :dry: