VRS - Petrol or Diesel for small commute

I am sure that petrol is best for the miles i do, i travel 13 miles each way to work (so 26 a day) with a few small trips the rest of the year, but in total i am doing around 6,000 miles a year (max). I guess on these figures that a petrol VRS would be best but are there any other considerations ? I had read that the chains on the 2.0 petrol engines can be an issue ...... true ? Also the diesel has more torque in gear ? I have seen some diesel VRS's that are not that much more to buy than petrol.

Are there other reasons i should consider a diesel other than the mileage i do, which of course does not warrant it. I have not forgot the DPF as well which is the elephant in the room.

Thanks

Petrol, definitely petrol :yes: .

Nicer to drive (imo) quieter and more refined, and warms a lot quicker when you need it in winter.

If you want the pulling power similar to a diesel engine then go for the Tfsi or Tsi (Turbo petrol).

:thumbup: .

Although I do 20k miles a year and a diesel would make more sense for economy, it's petrol for me. That of course is just personal choice. I can also easily get over 40mpg out of my tfsi. On your local runs you will struggle to get that figure, but if you don't go mad with the power pedal, you should get into the mid to late 30s. Looking at it from the other side, a diesel VRS is a lot easier to find, as they sold a lot more diesel cars compared to petrol. Took me over 3 months of hard looking before I found mine, then had to travel 170mls to pick it up. Tilt also comes up with some excellent reasons to go for petrol. Do you really want to start a cold engine every morning that sounds like a van! Then take forever to get warm inside on a winters day! Then have the dpf clog up because the engine does not get a long enough run to to keep it clear! I had an Accord diesel once, even had it remapped. It was a good car, but I certainly prefer the smooth refinement of a petrol engine.   

• Like 1

I would say drive them both and see which one you prefer, yes the petrol makes sense for the mileage you do, but 13 miles each way should not see a DPF issue (unless that 13 miles is stuck in traffic for most of the way)

Do you really want to start a cold engine every morning that sounds like a van! Then take forever to get warm inside on a winters day! Then have the dpf clog up because the engine does not get a long enough run to to keep it clear! I had an Accord diesel once, even had it remapped. It was a good car, but I certainly prefer the smooth refinement of a petrol engine.   

It is worth noting that some petrol vRS’s sound worse than a CR diesel! I have personally herd two examples that rattled their heads off (both with less than 100K on them)

Yes a diesel takes longer to warm up... around 4 - 5 miles to be fully up to temperature (more if you are stuck in traffic as they need to be under load) that’s the downside of an engine that is thermally efficient.

If you remapped a CR Škoda they are very nice to drive .

What kind of driving do you do?

You might only drive 13 miles a day but if thats not town driving going no faster than 30mph then there is no problem at all with a diesel.

People think its the miles you do but they are wrong. Its the kind of driving.

I only do about 12k but chose the diesel and dont regret it one bit

Edited by ryan-re
  • Like 1

We have 2.0CR Passat that does 16k miles a year up and down the motorway and it's perfect.

But we don't tend to use it for short trips. DPF worries and in winter the long warm up time means economy isn't great for short trips around town.

But we do have two TSi's which are great.

For 6k miles a year and a short commute I'd 100% go for TSI.

Lee

Get a 1.2 TSI 105 HP which you can remap later if you wish.

The engine is rock solid and doesn't say a thing. The turbo gives it a good bottom end pull, despite the tiny engine size.

With a lighter engine, it's faster round tight bends.

Insurance is possibly cheaper as well, it is here in Denmark.

You will never get a chance to use the VRS' punch sensibly in you short commute

Edited by Tranberg

I've recently changed from a pd vrs to a Leon fr tfsi and I'm loving the petrol. Sounds lovely when it's revved through!! Smoother drive, sounds a lot better. Diesels have their place but not on your mileage.