06 octavia cruise control

Hi all my octavia has the cruise control on the stalk but when I go to use it nothing happens. No light on dashboard or anything at all, was it a optional extra or should it work on all models. Although I don't particularly use it but just wondering

If the stalk has the actual switch on the tip, then it could be the contact board has oxidisation preventing it working. To remedy, open the stalk, you can do it with your finger nails. Pull the switch out, remove the wire connector. Unscrew the small circuit board with a hex screwdriver to expose the grey contact area. I forget the hex size but it's quite small. Dip a cotton bud in vodka and gently rub over the contacts and reassemble. I did this 3 times over 7 years of ownership and it restored cruise activation each time.

Likely, if you remove the wire connector, then just plug it back in, it will work.

This plug / circuit board is the weak point. The circuit board has such little solder on the connector that it loses contact.

I have re-soldered these points a few years ago, and with regular daily use, it failed on me for the first time just the other day. (no bull).

I unplugged and plugged back in, and working again.

It was standard on Elegance and above.

If it has the stalk then it should have it. As there is no buttons on the stalk if it's not fitted.

I reckon it's the contacts in the switch that have failed.

And just a note that you still need to activate it with VCDS (cannot be done through maxidot).

You don't need maxidot for cruise control, nor are there any cruise control related settings that can be changed via maxidot either.

If it's there, it should almost certainly work unless someone did a bad retrofit job at some stage and gave up ;)

I haven't got an activation light on my '06 VRS cluster/ maxidot either :thumbdown:

Oooh... now that you mention it there is a little spark going off in my brain... I have a feeling that cars prior to 07 don't have a warning light for the cruise control.

Phil

Edit:

Yep. I was right. MY07 onwards cars got the warning light. Prior to that there is no indication that cruise is engaged:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/188184-cruise-control-warning-light/

Edited by Phil-E

Just curious about CC active light on the dash (on MY06 or older versions) - 

Is it just the LED issue, or there isn't any signal coming to that "place" on dash? 

In other words, if I solder an LED on the place where CC active light should be, will it work? 

Because there is the symbol on the dash: 

CAM00279m.jpg
Edited by tuta125

I'm not sure. It's related to the dash clock somehow as cars that have a new clock cluster fitted (for maxidot) suddenly gain the CC light so it's not dependent on the car but the cluster.

So it's either hardware or software related.

I guess you could take the clocks out and have a look to see if there is an LED there.

I'm not sure. It's related to the dash clock somehow as cars that have a new clock cluster fitted (for maxidot) suddenly gain the CC light so it's not dependent on the car but the cluster.

So it's either hardware or software related.

I guess you could take the clocks out and have a look to see if there is an LED there.

I don't quite understand, are you suggesting that clusters with Maxidot should have CC light, regardless of MY? 

You might be able to do a test with vcds to see if it lights up

If you don't have it, then it probably doesn't have the LED and the cluster eeprom would need to be modified for it to work

Good idea, I'll try to test it with VCDS  :thumbup:

I don't quite understand, are you suggesting that clusters with Maxidot should have CC light, regardless of MY? 

No I don't think so. Just that most people that fit maxidot find they gain the light as the maxidot has usually come from a newer car. Just the only example of swapping the clocks I've seen as there would normally be no other reason to swap them but for maxidot.

I know this sounds stupid but...  are you sure its not turned off by the sliding switch at the top being pushed to the right .  If its in this position no amount of toggling of the end of the stalk will make it work . 

• Like 1

I know this sounds stupid but...  are you sure its not turned off by the sliding switch at the top being pushed to the right .  If its in this position no amount of toggling of the end of the stalk will make it work . 

This is exactly how mine works,54 plate Elegance, no light on dash, maxidot fitted as standard, works at 30mph

You might be able to do a test with vcds to see if it lights up

If you don't have it, then it probably doesn't have the LED and the cluster eeprom would need to be modified for it to work

Regarding the CC dash light again: 

I've read on another topic that MY06 Octavia TDI PD should have active light (mine is exactly MY06 TDI PD, with Maxidot, for Croatian market though). 

If I perform Instrument output test on VCDS, should all available lights come up, or just the activated ones? 

'Cause I don't have CC activated, but want to test if it'll light up when I retrofit and activate one  :nerd:

Edited by tuta125

Just performed Instrument output test, it showed: 

4x gauges test,

Maxidot test, 

some beeps test, 

diesel pre-warm light, 

immobiliser light, 

seat-belt light (activated),

handbrake (!) light,

+ MIL, battery and bulb failure lights were on all the time. 

No CC light.

TPMS light was also not "tested" (it's not activated), but I assume every O2 has it on the dash by default? 

If so, I figure VCDS is not testing every available LED symbol? 

I reckon we can prove this theory by deactivating "seatbelt warning" and perform the test again?

Or maybe VCDS is testing only the "warning lights" (red and orange) and not the green ones?  :nerd:

Edited by tuta125

As said above, 2006 models did not have a working cruise control warning light. It is down to the software in the instrument cluster. The cruise light only became available was 2007 onwards.

VCDS won't test any light if it isn't connected up in the cluster -- and the early ones were orange, not green.

Have a look on the option code sticker in the boot/service book. and you will probably see the code 6Y9 which means that no cruise control is fitted. Even when you retrofit and code the car for cruise, your light will not work if the instrument cluster was manufactured before 2007.

There is another option code 9BD which is defined as "Add. electric safety package for Saudi Arabia (cruise control warning system)" -- so the Saudi market had it working, but not the rest of the world.

Mike

EDIT I will have a look at the option codes on my late 2004 and early 2008 models, both have factory cruise, but the 2004 did not have a working warning light from the factory. I will try to see what the different cruise codes are.

EDIT AGAIN -- well that theory is discounted. BOTH my Octavias have the 6Y0 code which translates as Cruise control fitted but no warning system -- yet the 08 plate came out of the factory with a working cruise light

Mike, thanks for taking time to explain. 

However, I can't figure out why would Skoda sell a car with factory fitted CC without CC active light, even though there's a CC symbol on the dash? 

I'm really curious in hearing your answers on this, thanks 

• 6 months later...

As said above, 2006 models did not have a working cruise control warning light. It is down to the software in the instrument cluster. The cruise light only became available was 2007 onwards.

VCDS won't test any light if it isn't connected up in the cluster -- and the early ones were orange, not green.

Have a look on the option code sticker in the boot/service book. and you will probably see the code 6Y9 which means that no cruise control is fitted. Even when you retrofit and code the car for cruise, your light will not work if the instrument cluster was manufactured before 2007.

There is another option code 9BD which is defined as "Add. electric safety package for Saudi Arabia (cruise control warning system)" -- so the Saudi market had it working, but not the rest of the world.

Mike

EDIT I will have a look at the option codes on my late 2004 and early 2008 models, both have factory cruise, but the 2004 did not have a working warning light from the factory. I will try to see what the different cruise codes are.

EDIT AGAIN -- well that theory is discounted. BOTH my Octavias have the 6Y0 code which translates as Cruise control fitted but no warning system -- yet the 08 plate came out of the factory with a working cruise light

Hi just my two pence worth i own a 06 4x4 est and it does have a orange cruise light but only shows when Cruise is set does not show on start up

and mine was activated saterday and its packed up all ready tryed the clean method no good checked fuses no good grrr

all the best Anthoney

Hi just my two pence worth i own a 06 4x4 est and it does have a orange cruise light but only shows when Cruise is set does not show on start up

and mine was activated saterday and its packed up all ready tryed the clean method no good checked fuses no good grrr

all the best Anthoney

If it worked after you had it activated but then failed since, read #3 if you want it working.

There is another post on this problem which explains it in a bit more detail if you need it.

• Like 1

If it worked after you had it activated but then failed since, read #3 if you want it working.

There is another post on this problem which explains it in a bit more detail if you need it.

my cruise control stalk is new and it doesent have a plug so i cant un plug it lol but i cleaned it all the same no fix there  hopeing to get another stalk from the seller and  will fit that and report back here  my 06 has done some strange things i think is the ghost of herby i fitted auto lights was no wire i added a wire and they simply worked i fitted cruise and dint lose power steering a few other things hapend i wont bore you all

all the best Anthoney

Just to say here mine is a 56 and works even at 20mph. If I accelerate and take my foot off it only decelerate back to the setting. Dash light stay's on. Foot brake turns it off, and the dash light. Though pressing the switch on the bottom turns it back on to last speed setting. And dash light comes back on.