Creaking/Crunching sound from front suspension

Hiya,

It's occurred to me over the last few days of going over a speed bump oin work, that the car has a creaky/crunching type sound from the front suspension.

I'm going to record it when I next go over it, but any ideas?

I'll get it booked in to the dealer nut don't want fobbing off!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does your car have DSG? 

I often heard crunching noise that appear to come from the front suspension whenever going up the speed bump but never heard the same noise going down the speed bump, weird i thought

One day I went up the same bump with 'Manual' mode holding the 1st gear, no noise from the front suspension, everything sound pretty solid. 

Noise is often present whenever in auto but disappear on Manual mode. 

I think it has something to do with 'coasting' feature on the DSG, it disengage the clutch when condition permit (going up a speed bump must be one of them) and made noises that appear to come from the front end of the car. 

I get his noise too. Also had it on my previous car (Corolla).

On the old car the garage applied some grease to the suspension which temporarily seemed to solve the problem.

Keen to hear the outcome when you take your car in.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Thanks for replies. It's a manual car. Some days does it worse than others. With it raining this morning, it wasn't as bad. I usually hear it worse when it's been sat in the car park all day, so maybe dry joints and needs some grease.

I'll get a vid and see if garage can sort

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get a few creaks when people get in on a cold day but nothing after that.

I had a much worse problem on my mk2 where you could hear it as you drive along that took a very long time to sort out but was eventually traced to bushes.

I used to get this on my old Altea, then my old Roomster. My Octy is just starting. After two years. I think my problem is living in an area infested with speed humps, that punish the droplinks. It punishes everything else too, but the droplinks tend to go first for me.

if it is anything like my Mk2 it'll just need a squirt of spray grease on the wishbone bushes - they can dry out and cause the creaking

• 2 weeks later...

I think i have the same sounds on my car and another octy 3 related to my cousin,

It happens in speed bumps and if you take any bump with a little bit of speed or anything that makes the front of the car moves aggressively would give this sound and my dealer can't help at all

1.4 tsi

Dsg

Hatchback

I think i have the same sounds on my car and another octy 3 related to my cousin,

It happens in speed bumps and if you take any bump with a little bit of speed or anything that makes the front of the car moves aggressively would give this sound and my dealer can't help at all

1.4 tsi

Dsg

Hatchback

Did you take the dealer for a test drive and show them the noise? Surely if they heard it they would spend some time to identify what is the cause.

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Edited by RB79

Mines started to do this. Last couple of weeks. Over some speed bumps. Some the noise is worse than others.

Also does it in auto and manual modes.

When I've got a chance I'll get it into the dealers, many the next time I can get a day off.

Thanks for replies. It's a manual car. Some days does it worse than others. With it raining this morning, it wasn't as bad. I usually hear it worse when it's been sat in the car park all day, so maybe dry joints and needs some grease.

If it's not as bad when raining - then the damp is "lubricating " something. Probably unlikely to be a sealed ball joint but possibly a creaky bush. I had a Fiat Punto that had noisy rear suspension bushes that improved when wet.

Could also be a snapped spring - just had this happen on my old Octavia I which had an occasional front suspension creak. Failed it's MOT on a snapped front spring, was replaced and the creak went away - now has a shiny new certificate

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

If it's not as bad when raining - then the damp is "lubricating " something. Probably unlikely to be a sealed ball joint but possibly a creaky bush. I had a Fiat Punto that had noisy rear suspension bushes that improved when wet.

Could also be a snapped spring - just had this happen on my old Octavia I which had an occasional front suspension creak. Failed it's MOT on a snapped front spring, was replaced and the creak went away - now has a shiny new certificate

echo - Post 10...    :D

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

oddly, i just had my car fail an MOT for "Offside Front Track rod end ball joint dust cover insecure so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.1.3 (g) (ii))" .... anyway, after much uhming and ahing they replaced the whole unit for (£170 - incl alignment) - i am now finding the "crunch" noise is almost gone... (perhaps because i only repaced the one side)  I could have sworn it was the coil though around the shocks as thats most certainly what it sounded like what it could be.... anyway, ill monitor it going forward.

£170 for a 'kin track rod end 😲

Nice work if you can get it!

• Like 1