10,000 Miles Service

So, booked in for 10,000 mile first oil change / inspection service on Friday.

Getting the recall done plus the now official modification to the O/S washer hose (confirmation from Skoda that removing the back pressure regulator is supposed to resolve weak spray).

What else, based on experiences here, should I get the dealership to check?

And is anyone else here at 10K miles yet? (Actually it's 9,520 odd but I am clocking over 700 a week) :-)

You know what, it's not that bad!

I'll just wait for the 1st service for it to be washed.

Self cleaning..

Lad at work.. his car would only get washed or vac'ed when it went in for a service!

Variable service intervals are not switched on by default....10k is. Mine went back for an oil change @ 1,200 miles (I'm old fashioned about engines & oil) and the dealer recoded it for the variable intervals. It's worth everyone checking what their car has been set to!

Variable service intervals are not switched on by default....10k is.

They actually leave the factory on variable servicing, some will be set to fixed servicing on their PDI.

• Like 1

I have 150 diesel manual and oil is due at 18,700, with the service not saying yet, but expect that to be 18,000+. Why are you having it serviced at 10k?

I just prefer 10k intervals, and with mileage at 700 per week I can usually predict exactly when it will be due. In the past in variable intervals I'd not get enough warning. Also I prefer to be able to say that "you only had it here a few k miles ago so should have noticed xyz" if there are issues. It's certainly not necessary, just my preference.

If you only do long distance runs, and no short runs variable servicing is ok.

If you do mainly short runs you need fixed servicing, as short runs cause the oil to contaminate much quicker. also more regens, this  causes more fuel to pass the rings, diesel is not a good lubricant for engines. Neither is petol passing the rings good for your engines, petrol is an even worse lubricant for engines.

Ignore at your peril, even oil manufacturers will tell you the same and it is not to make money, it is to save your engine.

it's down to personal choice really. I've had several vag diesels on variable regimes that have done over 150k with no engine issues. My superb is on a 2 year lease and will cover circa 30k miles my prime concern was money saving rather than engine life. On a variable regime mine will only be due one service during the time I have it rather than three.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun and games for me this week....

My car which is on a personal lease plan complete with maintenance and servicing was booked in at a dealership in Epsom for its first service at the behest of the OBC. Whilst it was there I also asked them to attend to the recall and the modification to the wiper jets (neither of which they knew anything about), I also asked for them to replace the wiper blades.

Had a call later that morning from the service advisor who told me that the supplying dealer should have set the car to variable servicing and not fixed servicing and as a result VWFS would not authorise a service. The helpful chap at the dealers then went on to tell me that I would need to take the car to the supplying dealer (Prestons) to have it correctly set up as if they did it they would have to charge me. I had to ask him if he really was suggesting that I drive the car 500 miles so it can be plugged in to a laptop for 2 mins - he confirmed he was. When I pointed out this was madness he simply said that its their fault, not ours. Maybe I am being harsh, but what a jobsworth!

Long story short, after speaking to VWFS, they "came to an arrangement" with the Epsom dealer to reset the service indicator and it will now be set correctly to variable once its has done another 10K miles. Doesn't really bother me that its first service is going to be 20K miles as its only my responsibility for 2 years, its not like its my car, but I am going to make sure that VWFS confirm to me in writing that they have sanctioned the above - after all its my responsibility to have the car correctly serviced as per the lease agreement.

Finally and to top it all off Epsom had the car for the rest of the day to do the other work, however, when I finally got a call at 4.30pm they said that they couldn't change the wiper blades as their parts guys were not stocking them yet and they didn't have the part to alter the wiper jet. They did carry the recall out though.......

So I lost a good half a days work dropping off and collecting the car as well as talking on the phone to not have my car serviced. Still at least they washed the it though!

Wimbledon Park next time....

Where are you taking it in wimbledon park? I need to have exactly the same sort of work done and was going to go to Epsom but not so much anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you taking it in wimbledon park? I need to have exactly the same sort of work done and was going to go to Epsom but not so much anymore!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norton Way Skoda in West Hill Road.  

They are both a Honda and Skoda dealership but have carried out a few services on my old Fabia in the past and I found them pretty good.

• 6 months later...

Hi all you Briskodians, my Octavia is due its first oil service in a few days - not happy with the dealer I got the car from (Epsom) Because of the low mileage I do, the car is on fixed service plan. Can anyone tell me of their experiences with Norton Way Skoda? I have seen a review that suggests they don't consider the oil requires changing every year - I would think that this might possibly not be a good idea for the turbo bearings.

Warrior193.